Digital scale different reading everytime i step on it

Options
i weigh on analog scale in hospital. it is pretty accurate and the trend is going down.

but my personal home digital scale shows a different reading even if i step after a second on it.

the analog wont do this at all.

is this the problem with all digital scales or only mine. it is 4 years old now.

do i need to buy a new one.

Replies

• renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try changing your batteries
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    try moving the digital scales to a different part of the house, make sure the floor is flat (avoid carpet if possible) and don't store them by a heat source.
  • SanaAnum
    SanaAnum Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    renovagirl wrote: »
    Try changing your batteries

they are solar powered

tess5036 wrote: »
    try moving the digital scales to a different part of the house, make sure the floor is flat (avoid carpet if possible) and don't store them by a heat source.

they are on floor without carpet
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it happens with most digital scales. Try really, really hard to step on the scale the same way, with your feet in the same position, each time. I step on and of mine a few times, to get a consensus, or an average if need be.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I bought a big ceramic tile from Lowe's to sit mine on to keep it absolutely flat. Even though my bathroom floor is tile, it's tiny tiles and the little irregularities are enough to cause what you're describing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Do you move your scale at all? Many digital scales need to be calibrated each time they're moved.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    How big of a variation? 0.1 or 0.2 lbs, or 1 or 2lbs? Are you in the 120 to 220lb range or significantly outside? Inspect the ground contact points, make sure that they are 100% clean. Is your floor hard and unyielding and level?
  • SanaAnum
    Options
    1 to 2 lbs difference.
    my room is tiled with big flat tiles
    i try not to move the scale so it rests on same place
    but i hate its inconsistency as it doesnot gives me a single value to record for reference
    although the good thing is that trend is still going downwards.
  • SanaAnum
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a bad scale. Did you try weighing something that you know how much it weighs such as a pair of 10 pound dumbbells on it?

have got no dumbells but have found a steel heavy vase. will record it weight and see how it goes
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Many scales have a minimum weight below which they are not accurate.

A half lb variation out if say 200lbs would make me happy because it would indicate an honest scale that doesn't exhibit fake consistency. Would take three measurements. Average. Bob's your uncle.

A couple of lbs would make me less happy. I would definitely inspect your scale's contact points. Ground it is on. Run a calibration if such is available. Make sure that the battery is fully charged. You said solar... does it get enough light?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Buy a new one.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You probably need a new scale. I used to have a cheap one that would vary by a few pounds. I bought one on Amazon that I've had for a few years and it's exact (my weight is always exactly what the scale says when I do my weigh-ins for my comps and their scales are always calibrated). I keep mine in the same spot
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ditto to above getting a good one.

The resolution on the good ones seems to be 0.2 lbs, so only time it bounces is when the true reading must be between values, so like .4 to .6 to .4.
    It must be attempting to get .5 but it can't.

But never more bouncing around than that.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If changing the batteries doesn't help. Sounds like it's time to buy a new one. I use a digital scale and I get the same reading if I step on it more than once.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Probably get a new one, my scale is like 8 year old and work fine. Mine only has 0.5 lbs increment, so sometimes if I step on it weird it would be off .5 lbs but most time it gave me the same readings