What IF protocol do you follow?

Options
oat_bran
oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm considering trying IF again. I've been struggling with hunger in between meals no matter my macro ratio or deficit. Sometimes I feel like eating more actually makes me hungrier. I was thinking maybe IF could help with it.

But there are many different protocols it seems. In the past I tried the kind of protocol where you fast for 24 hours every other day or so. But that seems like too long for me now. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with my work, studies and exercise routine.

What IF protocols have you tried? Do you find that has helped you with hunger/cravings? Have long did it take you to adjust to this new way of eating? If you start fasting several hours before going to bed, don't you have trouble falling asleep with an empty growling stomach? If you don't eat for several hours after waking up, how do you manage it?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I do the 16:8 or 18:6 - most days - not to IF, but because it's natural and easy and flexible. I didn't adjust to this way of eating, it came naturally when I couldn't muster appetite for my fourth meal anymore.

I have dinner (and thus stop eating) maybe 6-7 hours before bed, and have no trouble falling asleep; I'm sorta hungry when I wake up, but not the "MUST EAT NOW" kind of hungry, it's more "really looking forward to yummy breakfast" hungry, so I just drink water and coffee, and wait usually two hours or so, to eat, after I get up. No problem.

It doesn't help with hunger nor cravings, but I eat enough, so I don't get ravenously hungry, and I love sweets, so I always want "something", no matter when and how well I eat.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't follow any specific "protocol". I go with what works for me. I do not eat anything after supper, which is usually over by 6 p.m. I am not hungry first thing in the morning, so I don't eat until closer to noon, sometimes not until mid-afternoon. If I happen to not be hungry then, I don't eat until supper time again :)
    Edited to answer your questions. No, I don't have trouble falling asleep not eating right before bed. Actually, I think I would have trouble sleeping if I did eat right before bed.
    How long to adjust? This way seems normal to me, but it may not be a good fit for others. Go with what feels right to you :)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't have a protocol, if I feel like eating at the 14th hour of my fast, I'll eat...If I feel like eating at 18th hour of my fast, I'll eat. I don't let that dictate it, when I do IF on a cut, I only do so that I can eat bigger meals opposed to have 5-6 small meals, but not every day I will break my fast at the same time.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Leangains(ish).
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stick with 16/8 or even 14/10 (female) these days. I've done eat stop eat, Fast 5, and 20/4, but they were not going to be sustainable for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I fast while I'm sleeping and busy doing tasks and working out.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    omad
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not intentional IF, but I typically eat 12-8. Not usually hungry for breakfast and don’t sleep well with a full belly
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I fast while I'm sleeping and busy doing tasks and working out.

LOL this is what I do while bulking. When I'm cutting I do 16:8 for calorie control.
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One meal a day. Fast for 24 hours.
    On rough days I'll fast 16:8... A shake around 11 am and a meal around 5pm
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do 18:6 and it works great for me. I count calories less and I am still losing a consistent 2lbs a week.I work out and drink plenty of water I fast 18 hours a day and i dont have my first meal until 5pm. It works great for me.
  • Psalm1139
    Psalm1139 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't follow anything in particular. I just fast for 24 hours on Monday. Stay under my calorie goal, but not a lot under, on the other days. I snack before I go to bed Monday night so I don't feel uncomfortable and over hungry Tuesday morning, but go the full 24 hours. I make sure I make something my husband likes but I don't for dinner, and same with my son for breakfast and lunch. Monday's before bed snack goes on Tuesday's calories.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It seems like the 16:8 is the most popular one and the easiest to sustain while also still having at least two meals at culturally accepted times :)

I think I'll start with thus one and see how it goes from there.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I used to do 16:8 - 20:4(ish), but found that, over time, it exacerbated my binging tendencies, so I'm off IF at the moment.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I follow 16:8 for the most part. It fits my lifestyle and doesn't make me hungry. I've been able to gain/lose and maintain on this schedule.

One protocol that I haven't seen mentioned that is geared towards weight loss versus just being an eating schedule is 5:2. Where the 2, are non-consecutive days where you eat only 500 calories and the 5 you eat normally (maintenance). That works for many people and I've used it in the past to drop weight. The key is having your 500 calorie days planned out with filling yet lower calorie foods so that you aren't winging it and end up unsatisfied.
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My IF schedule has worked very well doing a 19:5. I lift and cardio during my fasting hours and have seen a great improvement in my body comp. Learning the effects of insulin led me to IF. I’ve lost 5” off my belly in the 51 days I’ve been on IF and my lifting strength has increased. Best move I’ve ever made. I do restrict calories. IF is not a green light to binge during the feeding window. I eat 2 meals a day and pretty much eat what I want, but I do restrict (not KETO restrict) my carbs because of my previous insulin resistance condition.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I usually wake up at 7am, eat my first meal at 11am/12pm then dinner at 6pm. Sometimes I'll have a small snack around 8pm if I'm still a bit hungry. So I guess that'd be around 16:8.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've tried 5:2 but I would get hangry on the fasting days, although it worked to lose weight just fine. Now I do 20:4 with a 2pm - 6pm / 3pm - 7 pm eating window in the week, although I don't worry about the exact times. It's more like 16:8 on the weekends when my husband is home. I eat two meals a day. I find it really helps with hunger for me, and also allows me to have more luxurious meals when I am eating. I also exercise in the mornings when I'm fasted.
  • Elle_Marie_Fit
    Elle_Marie_Fit Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do 16:8 fast/feast daily, but I usually end up eating between 4-6 hours rather than 8. It's easier for me to skip food in the morning, so I never eat before noon at the earliest.