When does the calorie recommendations update?

Options
nsprieg
nsprieg Posts: 24 Member
I am curious when the daily recommended calorie limits change based on current weight. When you lose a certain percentage of bodyweight? X number of pounds? Every month? I have yet to see any rhyme or reason for it.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I found it never did automatically for me. I did run the guided setup again every 5kg or so
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do it automatically. Sometimes it prompts you to recalculate, but it's sporadic.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    If you update your current weight in Check-in (web version) or Progress (mobile apps), MFP "checks to see if you've lost 10 pounds since the last time your goals were calculated. If so, we'll ask you if you'd like to reset your goals based on your new weight."

If you update your current weight in Goals, MFP will notify you that your goals will be recalculated. It appears MFP rounds daily goals to the nearest 10 Calories, so the daily goal may not change until there is at least a 10 Calorie reduction warranted.

​​​​​Please see this article, and search for answers to Frequently Asked Questions and other helpful articles, on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/280597-will-my-goals-change-if-my-weight-changes-
  • nsprieg
    Options
    Interesting. I am definitely more than 10 pounds different than when my goals were set and I have yet to see any notification or recalculation on recommended calories. However I just reset the start date and current weight on "settings" and it forced the change (only a 40kCal change though). Thank you.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth, I've never been prompted to update anything either. That said, as an older, short, sedentary woman, MFP already has my calories set really low. I figure I have nowhere left to go with my recommended calories, and that's my guess as to why. What are your stats and current MFP recommendations?
  • CyberTone
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you have an activity tracker or weight scale app linked that automatically transfers the current weight reading, that may override the MFP prompt.

If you are already at the minimum daily Calorie goal for women (1200 Cal) or men (1500 Cals), that may override the prompt.

For both the above I am not sure, because I linked my Fitbit after I reached maintenance, so I do not have any personal knowledge about that.
  • CyberTone
    edited February 2018
    Options
    nsprieg wrote: »
    Interesting. I am definitely more than 10 pounds different than when my goals were set and I have yet to see any notification or recalculation on recommended calories. However I just reset the start date and current weight on "settings" and it forced the change (only a 40kCal change though). Thank you.

Did you happen to re-run your Goals or make a change to your personal information that may have had an impact on your goals between the time you first set them and now? If so, that action may not have triggered an actual reduction in the Calorie goal depending on your weight at that time. Each time you re-run goals resets the 10-pound change counter.

If you keep checking your daily goal every so often as you lose one or two or three pounds, you may never actually reach a total 10-pound loss from the last time the MFP counter was reset.

Also, if you have an activity tracker or scale app linked, it may affect the counter.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's never notified me to recalculate. I just do it myself every 5-7 lbs or so.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    nsprieg wrote: »
    I am curious when the daily recommended calorie limits change based on current weight. When you lose a certain percentage of bodyweight? X number of pounds? Every month? I have yet to see any rhyme or reason for it.

I did it myself every 5 lbs lost. Only way I stayed on a trend of losing weight. MFP either does not do it automatically or it isn't good at it.
  • nsprieg
    Options
    Nope. Enter food daily and weight once a week. No checking goals or resetting (until today). In fact now that I think of it, it did not adjust calories back when I first used the app a few years ago. Had to "restart" to get the calories adjusted.