Super bowl - This may be controversial

Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
Ok, so is the Super Bowl one of the worse sporting events to watch? As in the actual game, not all the ads and half time shows?

I have very little experience watching the super bowl but from what I have seen there was like 2 minutes of game play for the 30 mins of ads and strategising and waiting around etc

Does anyone actually enjoy the game, the game that as far as I can tell actually only last 12-15 mins? If you exclude all the faffing about.

Or do people just enjoy the stuff surrounding the game like the food, ads, music, bbqs etc

Just seems that for a sporting event, not a lot of sport happens. I found a statistic that said the 2015 super bowl had only 12 minutes of gameplay.

Am I alone in thinking the super bowl is lacking in the sport department?

Replies

• Merkavar
    I found a statistic that says teen pregnancy drops off significantly after the age of 25.

Lol

Well it’s no wrong I guess, I also found something that backs that up saying that it drops of even as early as 20 years old.

But seriously how much game play is there in the super bowl. As in ball on the field and players running about?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    edited February 2018
    The average NFL game has about 11 TOTAL minutes of actual play. With plays only being mere seconds, but realize that those few seconds are usually all out. So if you lifted your max weight as much as you could for 8 seconds, and it a total of 60 times, you think you'd be pretty spent?
    It's one of the few sports that people go all out (like interval training) with rest in between (40 seconds between plays unless there's a change of possession or time out).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Merkavar
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The average NFL game has about 11 TOTAL minutes of actual play. With plays only being mere seconds, but realize that those few seconds are usually all out. So if you lifted your max weight as much as you could for 8 seconds, and it a total of 60 times, you think you'd be pretty spent?
    It's one of the few sports that people go all out (like interval training) with rest in between (40 seconds between plays unless there's a change of possession or time out).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And you find that entertaining? A 4 hour event or an hour long game with 11 mins of actual game?

I don’t know, I think this is just another one of those things I will never quite understand the appeal
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    I think we need to compare rugby and football here for a truly controversial thread.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I don't have the attention span or interest to watch televised sports at all. I did go to a baseball game once and had a great time people watching and just got hyped up by all the peoples excitement.

I've been to Super Bowl parties, and just sporting event parties that I don't care about and while I don't give a flying *kitten* what is going on it's a celebration of sorts so it's fun
  • Versicolour
    edited February 2018
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I think we need to compare rugby and football here for a truly controversial thread.

Like this :tongue:
    622lz9icval1.jpeg

Haha!! Yeah!

Or this (not sure if this is going to work and it is European football vs rugby)
    https://goo.gl/images/dHIB8z

And of course

https://youtu.be/-PryGih3p_g
  • Versicolour
    Just to be clear, I don't actually follow any sports of any kind. At a push I would gladly sit and watch martial arts tournaments but I do not know a single sporting personality. People watching is fun though. Especially when they are wildly passionate about a topic!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    I love professional basketball. I never in my life would have believed that I could become so fanatical about a game. Once you acquire a liking to it, understand the game, and appreciate the talent- some people get hooked on it. -that is what happened to me. The NBA has provided me with such enjoyment at home and I just can't wait to sit back and watch a game. I have never liked football much but, I do watch the SuperBowl-- I can appreciate the best of the best in most competitions- including events I don't indulge in regularly. Today's Super Bowl game was really good. It was close and there was a lot of pressure. Also great catch by the Eagles quarterback -- super fun play to watch. It is so heartening when an underdog wins-- makes ya feel good all over; sorry Patriots fans.... And who doesn't like the spectacular half time shows the Super Bowl has been having. Justin Timberlake was awesome. The sheer amount of people, talent, and staging is outstanding. Anyhoo- I liked it OP :smiley:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Or test match cricket.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Rugby is a rough exciting sport. I know little about it aside from what my friend who has played it has told me about it. What he did say was that rugby is rough.....football is dangerous. All the armor those boys puts on their bodies make the weapons with no inhibitions on how hard they hit....and they are bigger, way bigger. No 330 lb guys playing rugby. But football players would never make it through a whole rugby game with the amount of endurance needed. Not sure if he's right....but I enjoy the physicality of both.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2018
    Ok, so is the Super Bowl one of the worse sporting events to watch? As in the actual game, not all the ads and half time shows?

I have very little experience watching the super bowl but from what I have seen there was like 2 minutes of game play for the 30 mins of ads and strategising and waiting around etc

Does anyone actually enjoy the game, the game that as far as I can tell actually only last 12-15 mins? If you exclude all the faffing about.

Or do people just enjoy the stuff surrounding the game like the food, ads, music, bbqs etc

Just seems that for a sporting event, not a lot of sport happens. I found a statistic that said the 2015 super bowl had only 12 minutes of gameplay.

I'm not a big fan of spectator-anything, particularly the sportsball, but yes- I think American football/American rugby/Handegg is one of the most boring to possibly watch (except baseball)(people are at least moving and doing stuff for more than a few seconds at a time in futbol and hockey and polo).
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited February 2018
    It helps to have played the sport in real life or to play sports video games. I find that gives you an appreciation for the skill and high level of athleticism that is going on for the sport.

I also find that having a stake in the game makes it much more fun (also being there live). This can mean going for a team or something else. For example, for me, I like to see if I can pick the correct team to win based on math. That's what's fun for me.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member

That's reasonable.

You can pay money for NFL's game replay service (I think it's called Game Pass?), that compresses full games to 45 minutes. Ironic, yes, considering the total clock time is 60 minutes, and the total elapsed time from start to finish is 3-and-a-halfish hours.

I'm fairly certain, though, that a similar such service for baseball would features games at 10 minutes or less. You could watch the whole league's slate of games in the time it takes to watch one live.

This is exactly what I like about hockey. 60 minutes clock time, 60 minutes of stuff happening. Same could be said for basketball and soccer (if you're into that).
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited February 2018
    We legitimately enjoy watching the game and last night was a good game to watch. But I should say, my husband is a high school football coach and my 8 year old is obsessed w/ football currently (he's autistic so he'll be obsessed with something else in a few months), so we are a very football-centric family. We have now entered a very dark period in our house....no football on the TV constantly.... and the darkness will last until late August.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited February 2018

Like this :tongue:
    622lz9icval1.jpeg

Soccer is my very favorite girl's sport.