Tips and advice on using Tofu

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
I'm relatively new to eating tofu and basically just fry it in a marinade. I know to squeeze out the excess liquid before cooking but that's about it. Any tips or advice on using tofu would be great, for example can you cook tofu and then have it for leftovers the next day? How else can I cook it (without using an oven/grill I don't have one)? Can I freeze tofu? Can you eat it uncooked?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can freeze tofu, and I find it easier to press once it's defrosted.
    You can coat it in flour and lightly fry it.
    Yes you can eat it next day, it keeps fine once cold and refrigerated.
    You can eat it raw as far as I know but I can't imagine it's very nice... But silken tofu can be blended into desserts and eaten raw...
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Thanks @SarahLascelles1 this is really helpful!
  • Rebecca9048
    Rebecca9048 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My go-to is fried tofu. I press it in a dish towel between two plates for 30 minutes, cube it, toss it with 2T corn starch and a little salt and fry it in 2T vegetable oil. Then add it to whatever meal you’re doing. I’ve also dry fried it, if that’s a word, in a pan with no oil just to make it a little firmer, but I prefer the crunch of the previous method, so I’ll make the calories fit.

You can eat leftover tofu the next day.

I love it in a bowl with avocado, rice, sweet chili sauce, red pepper, green onions, and cilantro.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    yes you can eat it uncooked and you can freeze it though it changes the texture to a more spongy texture. (you will want to drain it first. i have a great veggie crumble recipe that rivals morningstar farms if you are interested. i use it in veggie tacos. you have to freeze it first to get the good crumble texture.