Knees hurt after leg day

Options
2»

Replies

• SusanMcMc
    SusanMcMc Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Newbie here but I just reread New Rules and there was section on women having more knee problems because their quads tend to develop more/faster than their hamstrings, they get out of alignment and the knee shifts. The author emphasized the importance of hamstring targeted moves to address it. Experienced lifters, feel free to correct me, just passing along what I reD.
  • shareebarnett2017
    shareebarnett2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    100 squats sounds like a bit much but without seeing form it is hard to tell what makes your knees hurt

Its very strange because when i do a Hiit workout in a class i do around 100 squats (normal, wide leg jump squats and pulsing squats) without any problem but its only using body weight.

did you choose a programme from the list provided in your last thread? just wondered which one included over 100 squats?

No, my gym was packed yesterday and we ended up doing a workout in a room with minimal equipment! This was based on class work that i had done with an instructor... To be honest i have considered changing gyms because i go with a workout plan and it just fails because i cant use anything.

I have chosen the beginners Stronger lift 5x5 from the last thread though but am slightly confused about doing a barbell row on a leg workout though?

FYI - StrongLifts does not have a "leg workout", it is full body compound movements 3x/week.

Since ive been doing it ive realised lol! im really enjoying it although i just feel like my work out goes really quickly. Ill stick at it though
  • shareebarnett2017
    Options
    BNY721 wrote: »
    at least one of your quad muscles runs right over the top of your kneecap and attaches to your shin bone just beneath them.

so yeah. i've had post-squatting phases where i seriously thought i had ruined my knees. because my quad muscles were so tight they were squishing my kneecaps - it's called prepatellar something or other, actually.

a few days of careful and consistent work on releasing my quads calmed me down and made me more comfortable. and it made me go actually read the sections of starting strength where rippetoe talks about muscle mechanics during the course of a squat.

gl.

I have large quads and have found myself in a similar situation and started foam-rolling my quads (the only thing that has helped thus far) and it made the symptoms non-existent.

thats good to know! i was thinking about a sports massage (and i hate massages, they are painnful) even though ive been doing way less squats and going to the gym every other day rather than every day (not that i sqautted every day anyway) i have still been having the problem, even when i kneel down and go to get up my knees are just in pain, the only way i can squat without the pain i by doing a sumo squat.
  • shareebarnett2017
    Options
    SusanMcMc wrote: »
    Newbie here but I just reread New Rules and there was section on women having more knee problems because their quads tend to develop more/faster than their hamstrings, they get out of alignment and the knee shifts. The author emphasized the importance of hamstring targeted moves to address it. Experienced lifters, feel free to correct me, just passing along what I reD.

this is quiet interesting actually because before i was on the stronglifts 5x5 workout and was doing my own leg workouts i would always keep my legs closed to target quads, maybe thats the problem. my quads are extremly hard too!
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    SusanMcMc wrote: »

this is quiet interesting actually because before i was on the stronglifts 5x5 workout and was doing my own leg workouts i would always keep my legs closed to target quads, maybe thats the problem. my quads are extremly hard too!

What do you mean by keeping your legs closed? Like a really close stance? Or something else?
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    OP, I wanted to share my experience from doing SL 5x5. I started squatting with SL 3 times per week at 48 after never having squatted but having run long distance for many, many years. My knees had been dodgy for years, and I started squatting with fairly poor form, limited hip mobility and weak ancillary muscles (hip abductors, etc.). My quads got super sore, and I had tons of pain in my kneecaps. Foam rolling as suggested by my PT made my quads much worse.

I worked to improve my squat form and increase hip mobility, but what finally really helped me was doing single leg exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles --- split squats with dumbells and step ups with dumbbells (I watched you tube videos by Mike Robertson about form for both). Those exercises helped me more than anything else I tried, including PT. Six months ago, I could not step up or down a single normal staircase step without pain and I never went a day without thinking about my knees. Now, stairs don't hurt my knees, and at the gym I do slow step ups about 24 inches with weight with zero pain and I don't think about my knees more than about once a week. HTH.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Maybe try not doing 100 squats. Why did you do that?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    As a person with constant knee issues & injury issues I found that buying an expensive but not that expensive body massager is literally saving me. I bought this one from Brookstone after I read the reviews from a guy who saved himself from knee surgery by massaging his knee area a couple of times a day. This thing rocks & has helped me in so many ways brookstone.com/pd/max-2-cordless-dual-node-percussion-massager/792451p.html

The other thing I did for my knees was homeopathy, which sounds a bit ...odd but it actually helped me, a remedy called RUTA GRAV

3rd - you may want to rest the knees for a bit but also make sure you have that cool great massager. GL!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    This is my specialty...DO NOT HAVE A LEG DAY...its ridiculous and not needed for size or strength...Incorporate legs either in a push pull split or do What I do full body training varying my intensity and volume...I never ever ever have knee pain anymore and my legs are great...Dont want you to be in pain.
    Chris Rocco

Not sure what your saying @Shugahhfatt but dead wrong.

Your name suggests that you think sugar made you fat. Also as ridiculous as telling someone leg Day is ridiculous.

I mean- I don't have a leg day either- mostly because I do legs EVERY time I lift- so me thinks just miscommunication here??
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Just sounds like you're doing too much, too soon.

I can do 100 (4x25) body weight squats on my squat machine w/o pain (despite a 3 way ligament tear in my left knee) but I've been doing BW and free weight squats and deadlifts for a long time.

I could do more but really no point in doing that. Better to just wear a weighted vest (or hold on to dumbells) for added resistance when they get too "easy" which I also do from time to time.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Not going to repeat what has been said as I think the obvious has already been covered quite well, but from someone who has had bad knees most of my life (torn meniscus in both):

Doing balance work is KEY to keeping my knees strong enough to handle "normal" workouts - and my racing. The small knee stabilizers just don't get enough training with flat, stable surfaces to keep them strong enough to handle the weight and/or repitition of my training.

So, I add in a lot of work on Bosu balls, have an Indo board I keep in front of my TV at home, among other balance related training.

To note: I was informed of this while going through ortho directed PT when one of my knees was getting so painful I could hardly function. As long as I keep up with these exercises, my knees have held up just fine (other than when the torn bits catch and a knee just randomly gives out, but those don't last long LOL).
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Sorry i didn't quiet know where to put this topic so i chose here due to body building...

After completing a leg workout my knees are in pain, its not unbearable but for saying im 25 and its painful for me to stand, my knees also were very tingly last night...

Yesterday i did...

Squats around 100 squats (narrow, normal, wide leg and sumo)
    lunges
    dead lifts
    side squats

Maybe i was locking my legs out without realizing?

Heaviest weight lifted in at one time was only 30kg...

Any ideas on what it could be?

Any tips on preventing this pain in the future?

When I wasn't squatting below parallel my knees hurt. If you usually squat without weight and then add weight, you might have stopped squatting as deep.It's hard to comment on it without haven't observed what you did.

Alternatively, tight hamstrings can also cause knee pain and you will have hit the hamstrings pretty hard. Have you tried stretching them out as well as your other leg muscles