Strong curves/ Cardio

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
Few specific questions iv researched but honestly cant find much more thn "Trust and follow the program"

So thanks in advanced for your opinions sorry this is a repetative question, I know :p I just couldnt find the answers i was looking for.

So my deal is i lost 110 pounds and recently decided to join the gym finally. I want to build muscles. Im well aware my problem areas are my arms. Through my weight loss i walked 10-15 miles a day lifting literal tonnes of furniture a day my legs are beast. I decided to dip my toe into the gym with a program based on my legs/butt since im strong there and wouldnt overwhelm myself to much in a new gym.

Its working. However strong curves feels stupidly easy. Iv been following it, However i add in more. Say im doing workout A ill also add in some from B and C and sort of whatever i decide on. I also do 15 minutes at the start and the end of basic stretching, Reverse crunches, planking etc. Im not always following the program exactly as stated, Order wise. Really depends on what equipment is available i figure im challenging myself more and not just waiting around for the equipment to free up.

My first question is am i cheating myself in some way by not doing the supersets and the moves all in the exact order. And am i somehow doing myself a disservice by mixing in more? I do trust the program and i just dont want to hurt myself i guess but since im a mover i guess maybe im not as weak as i think and may not be a noobie. Even though im totally a noobie. My squatting iv been taking very gentle trying to not hurt myself or anything but i can do 3 sets of 15 at 200 pounds. So im thinking the programs "3 sets of 20 body weight squats" Just may not be enough is all xD

I also only go to the gym days i dont work, I learned my lesson about working out and then going to a super physical job LOL. So im not the most consistent with what days i go but i dont believe thats an issue, Since im being active and lifting on work days just not in a gym.

And if you happen to still be reading i have another question. After dieting for 2 years im finding myself mentally struggling to eat enough to gain (scary stuff). I walk 20 minutes to and from the gym each day, And do alot of walking on work days 2-3 times a week (40 minute walk there+back + lifting furniture up and down and back and forth for 5-10 hours depending on the day) Im wondering if it may be counter productive to me to add cardio at the gym? Itd just burn more calories and i think my activity level and eating up to that amount already sort of makes me anxious. Thoughts? A little cardio? none for now? I dont even track my weight lifting since i dont even know how i sort of just focus on adding in protein and overall trying to eat more, Atleast what my fitbit tells me to based on steps.

Thanks guys i love you :*

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I will say, Strong Curves is a lower body focused program. There is plenty of upper body work, but you may find not as much as you would like if that is an area you would like to focus on. There are many programs out there that may better suit you.

If the program feels easy, you may have to add more weight. You start off with the basics so you can get your form and feeling it in the glutes before you advance. Because you are working the lower body 3-4x per week, you don't work to failure each day. By the end of the week you should feel like you worked hard, if not then you may have to up the weight. Some people that come from a body part split have a hard time with that because they are used to smoking each muscle group each session.

I wouldn't start jumping around and doing moves from different days. You will not get the most of the program that way. If you find yourself not enjoying it after a period of time, I would pick another program.

The supersets are not mandatory. The are good for time and keeping your heart rate up, in the book he says that it isn't always possible or realistic to superset in crowded gyms so performing straight sets with rests in between is fine.

Cardio is fine as long as you are fueling it. Are you trying to gain or recomp? I would start with maintenance first before you go into a bulk...unless you are underweight. It can be very mentally taxing if you are not ready, you don't need to jump into a surplus if you are not comfortable with it right now.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I will say, Strong Curves is a lower body focused program. There is plenty of upper body work, but you may find not as much as you would like if that is an area you would like to focus on. There are many programs out there that may better suit you.

If the program feels easy, you may have to add more weight. You start off with the basics so you can get your form and feeling it in the glutes before you advance. Because you are working the lower body 3-4x per week, you don't work to failure each day. By the end of the week you should feel like you worked hard, if not then you may have to up the weight. Some people that come from a body part split have a hard time with that because they are used to smoking each muscle group each session.

I wouldn't start jumping around and doing moves from different days. You will not get the most of the program that way. If you find yourself not enjoying it after a period of time, I would pick another program.

The supersets are not mandatory. The are good for time and keeping your heart rate up, in the book he says that it isn't always possible or realistic to superset in crowded gyms so performing straight sets with rests in between is fine.

Cardio is fine as long as you are fueling it. Are you trying to gain or recomp? I would start with maintenance first before you go into a bulk...unless you are underweight. It can be very mentally taxing if you are not ready, you don't need to jump into a surplus if you are not comfortable with it right now.

ye im definatly not bulking just trying to hit maintenance for now is a struggle lol. Thank you for your thoughts
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

ye im definatly not bulking just trying to hit maintenance for now is a struggle lol. Thank you for your thoughts

You really have to focus your goals and how calories/fuel will help you reach them. Maybe head over to the maintenance section, lots of great advice in there about how to transition from weight loss mode! Good luck!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You're just starting out, so easy is good because it let's you focus on building good form. You want to get that right before the weight is at the point where it gets challenging.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I haven't run the Strong Curves program, so I can't comment to that, except to say make sure your form is on point at lower weights. If your form is on points and you're still finding the program too easy, you might look into an intermediate program. Instead of walking to/from the gym, try running and ease into a cardio routine with that.

Personally, when I stopped losing, I held at maintenance for a few months and continued counting calories. When I decided to try bulking, I stopped counting calories, I just made sure I was eating enough protein. I came back to counting after the break with a mindset of fueling my workouts...which is reinforced by MFPs additional calories given for exercise. If I'm going to burn 400 calories on a run, I need to eat some of those to fuel that run or I'm going to pass out on the next run. If I don't properly fuel, I won't be able to progress in weight in my lifting program.