Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to not fall off the wagon...

2»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    tanyashik wrote: »
    How can 1 g of something contain 3 g of something else? Does not make sense....
    Just a thought.....

Think of a water balloon.

ETA: Or what @JeromeBarry1 said. I have no idea how molecules work, I was just naming something that weighs less than what it holds. :smiley:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    A thought: One of my friends does keto part of the year and omni part of the year. He seems to handle it well. Basically, if there's any omni foods in the house, he starts keto after he's eaten them. Then he only has to manage his shopping and avoid buying omni foods. The advantage he has is that he lives alone. If you are sharing a residence with persons who eat in diverse ways, you have a high challenge.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Just a thought.....

Molecular bonding. The carbohydrate molecule doesn't 'hold' water. Rather, the carbohydrate molecule must be kept in solution and 3 grams of water are required to keep the carbohydrate in solution. That's the case as long as the carb is in the form of glycogen Once the glycogen gets converted to fat, the need of keeping it in solution ends.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I ended up eating pasta yesterday and gained 2.5lb, felt so bloated I looked like I was 7 months pregnant, lesson learnt I just don’t agree with carbs

That's a normal physical response for any person with a functioning liver. It's not that you don't agree with carbs (though it could be the case for some people), it's that you're refilling your glycogen and of course you get bloated when your body tries to overdo it after not having carbs for a while. As others said, part of the weight you lose when you lowered your carbs was water, and it's simply balancing back when you reintroduced carbs. It has no effect on the actual fat you lost. You haven't regained any of it unless you went over calories by enough to be noticable on the scale, which is doubtful. There is also the case that keto foods are generally low volume, so there is also more food in your system which leads to even more scale weight increase.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Just a thought.....

There's an excellent explanation of this on the OP's other thread, which, BTW, makes me feel like I was talking into the air...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10640621/gaining-weight-eating-high-carbs/p1
  • Hallzeehall
    Hallzeehall Posts: 40 Member
    I follow a keto diet - my biggest thing that keeps me together is making a keto friendly sweet to have on hand. I don't really crave carbs as in breads, pasta, rice, potatoes. I do seem to crave sugar sometimes so I make cheesecake fluff or a keto friendly mug cake. It's important that you find a lifestyle that works for you.