Olympic Opening Ceremonies!

Options
nowine4me
nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
edited February 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I love the Olympics. Our tradition is to make a meal for the opening ceremonies that is native to the host country. I’m not very familiar with Korean food, but think I’m going to attempt Biminbap bowls. Vegetarian for me and added meat for hubs. Anyone else have any ideas? We are shopping at a nearby Asian market for supplies. I need a thing called gochujang. Go!

Replies

• adambrown01
    adambrown01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We made some amazing bulgogi beef tacos. I just wrapped some of the beef strips in lettuce and gobbled them up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We love gochujang in our house -- it's an amazing addition to steamed/roasted broccoli or greens.
  • LottieHaveMercy
    LottieHaveMercy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I love Korean food! Bibimbap is a good place to start, and if you have leftover rice the next day, make kimchi fried rice. One of my favorite foods, hands down.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    We made some amazing bulgogi beef tacos. I just wrapped some of the beef strips in lettuce and gobbled them up.

This. Easy and tasty.
  • nowine4me
    Options
    Anyone have any vegan ideas?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm an Olympic addict! That's a cool idea to make food from the host country. Enjoy!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    They have really great, spicy hot pot recipes with tofu. You eat most things (including the soups/stews) over rice so that at the end you have flavored rice.

It's not always white rice. Look for purple rice. It's a little bit sweeter.

Bibimbap is famous for having burnt rice edges (from the pot) but I've also eaten it from large metal mixing bowls.

1. You HAVE to have a bunch of individual side dishes (kimchi, pickles, pickled radishes).
    2. Gimbap is basically Korean sushi.
    3. Soft Tofu Stew - omit the clams/seafood if you'd like
    Note: They use a lot of eggs and tofu in their cooking.
    4. Roasted fish.
    5. And most of all they LOVE FRIED CHICKEN AND BEER. Not even kidding. They drink super light, almost sweet beer and have super spicy wings.

Note 2: traditional Chinese (evenly round) and Japanese (pointy and round) chopsticks are very different from Korean chopsticks, so get the flat ones for a more authentic experience.
    Source: studied abroad in Seoul and Busan
  • nowine4me
    Options
    Thanks @aeloine that beer sounds yum. Great suggestions!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Thanks @aeloine that beer sounds yum. Great suggestions!

Cass (Lite) and Hite were the standard MO. Older people would go to the 7/11 type bodegas at night, eat ramen noodles (there was hot water on tap and there were SO MANY INSTANT NOODLE varieties) and drink Soju (spirits - could be flavored but always neat) or Cass/Hite on the little plastic chairs outside the 7/11s. They'd drink and smoke cigarettes and play cards if the weather was nice.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Anyone have any vegan ideas?

Check out "cheap lazy vegan" on YouTube. Love her videos. She is vegan and Korean. I wish I could give you ideas from watching, but I don't remember names of things.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    IMO, the best website for traditional Korean recipes is Maangchi which you can find here:

https://www.maangchi.com/
  • Shredder583
    Shredder583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    They have really great, spicy hot pot recipes with tofu. You eat most things (including the soups/stews) over rice so that at the end you have flavored rice.

It's not always white rice. Look for purple rice. It's a little bit sweeter.

Bibimbap is famous for having burnt rice edges (from the pot) but I've also eaten it from large metal mixing bowls.

1. You HAVE to have a bunch of individual side dishes (kimchi, pickles, pickled radishes).
    2. Gimbap is basically Korean sushi.
    3. Soft Tofu Stew - omit the clams/seafood if you'd like
    Note: They use a lot of eggs and tofu in their cooking.
    4. Roasted fish.
    5. And most of all they LOVE FRIED CHICKEN AND BEER. Not even kidding. They drink super light, almost sweet beer and have super spicy wings.

Note 2: traditional Chinese (evenly round) and Japanese (pointy and round) chopsticks are very different from Korean chopsticks, so get the flat ones for a more authentic experience.
    Source: studied abroad in Seoul and Busan

You are making my stomach feel all warm and fluffy! A way to a mans heart.....