Why does it hurt?

Options
I’ve been upping my fitness the last few weeks and am at the stage I feel I can jog and run in the treadmill. But, a few minutes in and I get pains in my shins. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sounds like shin splints- but I mean- that's kind of a "that's a really common problem people have with running on treadmills" guess.

Because- well it's the internet and we aren't medical professionals.

Try adjusting your stride? slow down- run outside? how old are your shoes? have you seen a medical professional?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Possibly your running gait, possibly the shoes being worn out or inappropriate, possibly a muscular imbalance in the lower leg.

Difficult to say.
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I’ve had the shoes for 2 months and they are running shoes. Not seen a doctor as it passes. Tried running slower/faster but get it all the same.
    I am overweight and new to running. Maybe my legs just aren’t used to it :/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cxeex wrote: »
    I’ve had the shoes for 2 months and they are running shoes. Not seen a doctor as it passes. Tried running slower/faster but get it all the same.

How did you select your shoes? Not every running shoe is a good fit for a particular runner.
  • cxeex
    Options
    I went to the sports shop and told them what I wanted them for
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Did they check to see if you have issues with over or under pronating?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Was there any sort of gait analysis involved (did they watch you run, look at the tread pattern on another pair of shoes you've wore, etc) or did they just show you some generic running shoes?
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I run 10-15 km per week outside but can't run two minutes on a treadmill without getting intense shin pain. I think some people's gait just doesn't work on treadmills. I even get pain walking on treadmills!!
  • cxeex
    Options
    No, none of that. I’m not a pro runner though. Just a jog or light run on the treadmill
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Could be any number of things... Bad gait/stride... Wrong shoes... Too much too soon...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No, none of that. I’m not a pro runner though. Just a jog or light run on the treadmill

My SO has an issue with pronation. If he isn't wearing proper shoes it causes issues even when he is just taking long walks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Running shoes covers a multitude of different options. If I try to run in overly cushioned shoes I'll get shin splints, but I can run a marathon in shoes with no cushioning at all. It's not out of the question that they're not correct for you, but there are other things to look at.

I was 3st over weight when I started running seriously about 5 years ago.

When you're running concentrate on landing your leading foot underneath your body as much as possible. Almost a shuffling gait rather than stretching out in front. Set the speed to match that gait, rather than anything else.

Personally I'm not keen on coaching new runners on a treadmill as you end up getting to keep up with the mill rather than concentrating on the running. If you can, then try to get off the treadmill and just concentrate on running gently, at a pace that you can talk at.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have this problem on the treadmill, but not on the road or the trails. If it's possible, try running outside and seeing if you have the same issues.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

You don't need to be a pro runner to benefit from a proper shoe fitting. I'm not a pro runner either and I found that running became much more pleasant once I was wearing the right shoes for my feet/running style.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

You don't need to be a pro runner to benefit from a proper shoe fitting. I'm not a pro runner either and I found that running became much more pleasant once I was wearing the right shoes for my feet/running style.

I always poo-pooh'd the proper shoe fitting until I finally had one where they video your gait on a treadmill. I went ahead and spent the money on custom insoles. It made a WORLD of difference for me. I also make sure to do stretching before and after a walk/jog or run. I recently had some serious shin splints after a fast walk of about 6 miles with no stretching beforehand (my mistake). Found a YouTube video specifically for shin splints and the pain was gone the next morning.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I really think you need to consult your doctor. Get your diagnosis and some excercise suggestions, before continuing further with jogging/running.

Your body is telling you (with the pain you are having) to stop what you are doing.

Not a good thing to try to push through such pain. That usually makes a minor problem worse.

Until you get to a Dr, try walking recumbant bike, recumbent elliptical or water workouts (water walking/jogging, water fitness classes, swimming).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm going to go for too much, too soon. Shin splints are very common among new runners. Ice them after runs (and don't forget to take recovery days) perhaps consider walking for now and adding short, slow running intervals to your runs and very gradually increasing the running time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm going to go for too much, too soon. Shin splints are very common among new runners. Ice them after runs (and don't forget to take recovery days) perhaps consider walking for now and adding short, slow running intervals to your runs and very gradually increasing the running time.

I'm going to agree. I've gotten shin splints numerous times in the past (starting clear back in high school), and every time it was because I did too much, too soon. This time I started off very slow/low mileage/low frequency and gradually increased, and have had no problems at all with shin splints.