Sprained ancle

Options
So...I finally got into a good habit of hard excercise 3 times weekly...but now I've sprained my ancle, so no running/boxing for me (doctor told me to keep the foot still for 3 ish weeks then start slowly). But i'd rather not get into the habit of doing nothing at all

Does anyone have some good excercise I can do at home when I'm completely unable to use my foot? I know situps and legraises...and then I sort of run out of ideas....I'm not looking for someting super amazing, just something to keep the habit of getting some training

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physical therapist? Most doctors are good at knowing when an ankle is broken or not, but they don't really understand how to rehab. A PT should have you back on your feet doing something within days, not weeks.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oh no, sorry to hear about your injury. I have some experience in this area! I had a grade 3 sprain in my left ankle and had to have surgery and was in a cast for 6 weeks. Agree with the poster above about seeing a PT. They can give you exercises based on the severity of the sprain.

If your ankle allows, wear a brace (orthopedic doctor should be able to recommend one, or Target/Walgreens have decent ones) and do the stationary bike for cardio. This allows your foot and ankle to be stationary, but still get some cardio exercise in. It's the first cardio I did when I got my cast off after surgery.

If you go to a gym, you can do any of the upper body machines, and some free weights. Just be careful with free weights if you use your legs to brace yourself, you may want to lower the weight you're doing. Another good full-body exercise is the plank. This is mostly for core strength, but you also engage your back, shoulders, and legs. There are some good plank challenge workouts online.

I will add to ice your ankle daily. I found a good ice "sleeve" at Walgreens that you keep in the freezer then put on your ankle. It fits around your ankle better than an ice pack or bag and you don't have to be completely still to use it.

Good luck in your recovery!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm physically disabled and can do most exercises sitting down. You can look up seated exercises on youtube for ideas.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Single leg squats, planks, jumps, burpees. Yoga.