Halfway to goal - how'd that happen?!

Options
Vonny198334
Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
edited February 2018 in Success Stories
Hello MFP!

In the last week of July 2017, I finally decided enough was enough...my weight had begun to massively impede my life. Like a lot of folk, I have been overweight since I was a child. I'm 34 & just never bothered to learn what a healthy lifestyle entailed. To me, it looked like a whole lot of effort & a whole lot of deprivation with zero fun. Being healthy was for other folk, not me!

Occasionally I'd try to go on a "health kick" but after a fortnight(max!) you'd just find me on the sofa mindlessly snacking of an evening. I work from home most of the time so the kitchen was just there - boy did I utilise it! Junk food was basically my staple diet & frankly, I was just lazy. My back ached, my head ached, I was tired all the time....I had suffered vitamin deficiencies that left me with a whole host of allergies....the list goes on! Bottom line, I was going to end up in an early grave & no amount of denial on my part was going to change that fact.

After losing a stone, I joined MFP & have been logging religiously since. My lifeline has been finding healthier substitutions for all of the junk I clung on to for years...can honestly say I never feel deprived. Sure, there are times where it's far from easy, but even on the hardest days, it's easier than being the way I was.

I maintained I always "hated exercise" but around the same time as joining MFP, I stumbled upon a refitrev dance fitness video on YouTube. It looked fun, so I decided to give it a try. I was clumsy, uncoordinated, struggling, completely out of breath & sweating buckets...but I totally loved it & felt a strange sense of achievement. The next day, I did it again. The day after that, I upped it to two songs. Within a fortnight I was doing 20-25 minutes. 6 months down the line, I do 45 mins most days with 2 days of strength training thrown in too...if you'd have told me I was not only capable of this but would ENJOY it last summer? I'd have laughed you out the building!

I feel happy, healthy, AWAKE & excited to find out what joy is to come in the next half of my goal. A big NSV for me is that I actually trust myself to get there - I'm able. As I'm so fond of telling folk who ask "what diet I'm on"....I'm not on a diet. I'm just living in a healthier way & I want to do that forever.

As it stands, I've lost 52lbs with around the same to go to get to a healthy BMI...after that, I'll re-evaluate.

This is the first thread I have made here on the forums & I only tell my story so far because reading yours, seeing your pictures & quietly watching your own transformations has been SO inspirational for me. If I have any questions, I plug it into that search bar & never fail to find an answer to help me. These forums contain an invaluable wealth of knowledge! I've also made some wonderful pals through them that give me no end of support - so grateful of them all.

I don't profess to be any kind of expert. I learn every day & know that will never end, but I hope that if anyone beginning today or any other day in the future reads this, it will add to the mountains of proof in these forums that IT CAN BE DONE!

We have all read the line "If I can do it, anyone can" a million times...it's said so often because it's true. Anyone REALLY can. There are no magic formulas, it really is just a case of eating at a calorie deficit. Exercising in a way you enjoy may help to create a few more calories to nibble on too, but more than that, it clears any mental fog, dusts off the cobwebs & makes you feel stronger in every way.
Every time I don my workout gear I feel like a proud warrior....no matter my weight, I'm working hard on myself & that gives me more self confidence than I could ever dream of.

You don't need to change all at once or throw yourself into an unsustainable way of life.
Day by day, week by week. 10 minutes activity is a New Personal Best worth celebrating if every day before it involved no activity. One mars bar instead of two is a win if two is your usual...be kind to yourself & count the small stuff because before you know it, it adds up to create big big tangible changes!
This quote has always stuck with me:
"The time will pass anyway. You can either spend it creating a life you want or spend it living a life you don't want - the choice is yours"
....what more is there to say?

On the right is a pic from last Summer versus a cheesy selfie from yesterday. I am uncomfortable with how uncomfortable I look in front of the camera on the right! That was my life. Vanity pushes me to point out I was on a secluded & long dog walk hence my appearance, but no amount of makeup or nice clothing could ever hide the fact I was miserable in my own skin, despite trying to trick myself otherwise. That's why I don't mind sharing such an awful photo with you - I never want to be that lassie again.

Apologies for the long rambles & I hope that whatever your goal is today, you kill it!

Much love & gratitude, Von <3

Right: UK size 22 on bottom & 18/20 on top. Dress size 20.

Left: Bottom size 14/16 & 12 on top. Dress size 14.

77ue24aty1a8.jpg

Replies

• Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Way to go, you have done amazing! You are so right, making lifestyle changes that you can live with adds up to big changes! Well done, you are awesome x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i didn't know you were 34, you don't look it! :smile:
  • AnotherPlate
    AnotherPlate Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wonderful, wonderful job. This is no small feat. Countless people fall by the wayside but you wanted it bad enough. Good for you! I especially liked the warrior analogy. You're totally right there lol. I'll be following your progress because I believe you will indeed get to your goal. And like @travistocktoad said, you look a lot younger than your years. Great work!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! you have done great :smile: keep up the great work.
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    Thanks so much Catho, means a lot. Just can't believe how the time has flown in...it can all feel really overwhelming in the beginning & it's so hard to know where to start. But anywhere is the answer to that I reckon!

Ahhh Tavi, you're too kind! So happy to have you on my friends list - read an awful lot of your comments when I first joined & really, theres no substitute for your kind of truthful straight talking. It's motivating as heck, please never change!!

Thank you so much AnotherPlate, your comment meant a lot. I cannot believe what a weak spot for workout outfits I have....think I have more of them than normal clothes just now! But they make you look & in turn feel the part...will never get over the fact I actually need them!

Anytime I see someone who is starting out, pavement running or coming out of the gym near to where I take my dogs, I have to resist the urge to wind down the car window & scream "Yaaaaas warrior! You're doing amazing!" But I don't because I'd hate anyone to mishear me or feel offended!
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    Awesome!! you have done great :smile: keep up the great work.

Thanks so much! X
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    Congratulations!

Thanks so much, excited to see what the next half of goal feels like! Definitely enjoying the journey. <3
  • emmasjones721
    emmasjones721 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow you've done amazingly well! Would you mind if I add you? I need inspirational people like you on my feed to keep me motivated
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    Wow you've done amazingly well! Would you mind if I add you? I need inspirational people like you on my feed to keep me motivated

Thanks so much, you're so kind. I log every day & post/comment as much as I can but some days time just runs away with me! Always catch up on pals eventually though. Would be delighted to have you on my list :)
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic job - you look amazing! And so much younger too. Good luck with the next part of your journey - you are doing awesome so you'll hit that goal in no time! :)
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    aemsley05 wrote: »
    What a fantastic job - you look amazing! And so much younger too. Good luck with the next part of your journey - you are doing awesome so you'll hit that goal in no time! :)

Thankyou so much. Can't believe how fast 6 months have flown in....love all the wee goals along the way though...will be strange to post when I get to where I want to be, but I'm determined! :blush:
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    "Sure, there are times where it's far from easy, but even on the hardest days, it's easier than being the way I was."

Well, THAT just conked me over the head :D Thank you and LOVE the doggie photobomb!
  • AidaF430
    AidaF430 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I'm starting over again for the umpteenth time but as you said reading and seeing these posts helps motivate me. You are right ANYONE can do it, we just need the support and motivation of people like you. Wishing you continued success in the next 1/2 of your journey!
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    "Sure, there are times where it's far from easy, but even on the hardest days, it's easier than being the way I was."

Well, THAT just conked me over the head :D Thank you and LOVE the doggie photobomb!

Glad to have helped in however small a way :blush: . The rough can be really rough, but on the whole I'd say it's an easier ride than we may imagine. There's nearly always one or the other of my doggie pals in my photos somewhere haha...on the left one, my girl is by my feet even though you can't see her. Wouldn't be without them!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    "Glad to have helped in however small a way :blush: . The rough can be really rough, but on the whole I'd say it's an easier ride than we may imagine. There's nearly always one or the other of my doggie pals in my photos somewhere haha...on the left one, my girl is by my feet even though you can't see her. Wouldn't be without them! [/quote]

I hear ya' - i jokingly call my furry-guy "gluestick" sometimes :smiley:
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    AidaF430 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing. I'm starting over again for the umpteenth time but as you said reading and seeing these posts helps motivate me. You are right ANYONE can do it, we just need the support and motivation of people like you. Wishing you continued success in the next 1/2 of your journey!

Thankyou so much, means a lot. You have everyone behind you - we're definitely all in the same boat all working towards being the best we can physically be. That fact alone helps me lots! A few weeks ago I was really struggling with ravenous hunger. Think it was all the cold weather, hormones & eeeverything felt like effort. Even my workouts & the doggy walks...both are usually the highlights of my day!

I made time one afternoon to create a sort of Happy Inspiration Board. Can't call it a motivation board because I really don't think I've had much of that since the very beginning!!...I just aim to just get out of bed & "do". But suddenly that had become hard, so....

The board contains things that were, things that are, things that will be & things that I dream of! There's also some folk on there who inspire me greatly.

My wedding band that no longer vaguely fits (not even with snuggies)...I need to get to goal so I can resize it & put it back where it belongs! Hangs there to remind me of that.
    A lovely comment from the amazing refitrev girls to whom I owe so much alongside their photo.
    The sizing squares from the clothes hangers - love watching those go down!
    Etc etc

I prop it up in my living room where its in my eyeline for both workouts & dinner time....have to say - it really does help me!

Don't know if that's any use to you at all, but thought I'd post it just in case. :blush: Know it's said often...but you really can do this - totally believe in you!

e28s5doc5lz7.jpg
  • zydeco69
    zydeco69 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You look marvelous!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story... you look younger, and frankly, like a different person. i can't wait to see your goal photo.you look great right now!
  • Vonny198334
    Options

zydeco69 wrote: »
    Great job!! You look marvelous!!
    Thanks so much, you're very kind :blush:

Thank you for your story... you look younger, and frankly, like a different person. i can't wait to see your goal photo.you look great right now!

Thankyou so much for your lovely comment. I'm at that awkward stage just now where folk I've not seen in a while walk past me...very strange feeling. Am curious to see myself at goal too...smallest I've ever been was around 2 stone overweight & I was 17 at the time...it's a real mystery haha!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!