Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Keto/low carb

Has anyone done Keto or low carb diets and kept the weight off? And how? I’ve started a low carb diet 2 weeks ago and I’m worried that once I’ve lost the weight I wanted too, how will I stay there when I start to introduce carbs back in? Thanks

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    You will gain weight when you re-introduce carbs, as a guide each 1gm of carb consumed retains about 4gms of fluid (not permanently of course). You appear to have a 'diet' mentality...perhaps look to what you can do to make a lifestyle change (yes its a cliche but), what habits you need to ditch and what new habits you need to create to develop a healthy lifestyle.

I think the best way to lose weight is the way you intend to maintain the loss. If you aren't going to do keto or low carb for the long term no point in doing it as a diet. The switch teaches you nothing about yourself, eating habits as well as developing tools for longterm maintanance.

Thank a think about what you intend to do for once you reach goal weight, that is, maintain the weight loss? Do that in a scaled down version for weight loss.
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    I have stared Keto on Jan 6th and so far it has been easy for me to maintain my new weight. (from 140lb to 132lb). If you like fatty protein-rich foods with crunchy vegetables this is an easy switch. but if your usual diet is carb/sugar heavy that will be much harder. Just keep in mind that our cells regenerate every 3 weeks, including your taste buds, so if you can stay off sugar for 3 weeks you won't need much sweetener in your day to day consumption. Also, make sure you take daily mineral supplement (CalMagZinc) and that will help you too to stay away from cravings.