Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fitbit users - does it help you lose weight?

Hi Fitbit users

I would just like a general response to see if people are successfully losing weight while listening to what Fitbit says your calorie burn is? Do any of you eat back most of the calories it says you've burned and still lose weight?

I got mine recently and tend to trust it in terms food logging - I want to know if this is a silly idea and will lose weight slower this way?

Also, if any Fitbit users have an open diary can you let me know? I would be intrigued to see someone else's to see how they use their calorie adjustment.

Thanks

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I have had a FitBit for about 4 years. I trusted it while losing weight, ate back the calorie adjustments and lost at the rate I wanted. In maintenance, I find it invaluable because I use the total calories burned as an accurate estimate of my TDEE - so I still eat back those exercise cals.

As you’re just starting using the tools together - check out the FitBit users group and in particular the FAQ thread. Make sure your activity setting is appropriate for your actual activity, and enable negative calorie adjustments to ensure you don’t overeat on very Sedentary days.

Good luck - I love mine.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Quick question, been trying to find negative calorie adjustments and can't work it out as my fit bit gives me huge adjustments some days, both set to same weekly weight loss goals, both set to sedentary

I don't trust my fit bit,told me I had burnt over 3000 calls the other day for less than 5000 steps. I had a hypo that day and my heart rate was at 120 for a long while so even though I wasn't moving I've a feeling it counts that as exercise
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I had one for 4 years. It helped me get to goal weight and set good and lasting fitness habits. I no longer use it as I don't need a gadget to motivate me to keep active any more.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Like everything else, it is a tool that can help or you can use it to cheat. Working in an office, one thing I like is the hourly reminder to get up and walk. I've had mine for three years, and still wear it everyday. And once in a while, it will motivate me to take and evening walk. But, as a weight lose tool, it is just that. Kind of like the kitchen scale to weigh food. Do I use it or just guess.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm an Apple Watch user, former FitBit user. It helps remind me to be active and helps track my calorie expenditure. It's good motivation. It's not 100% accurate. For instance, it thought I was exercising when I was waiting on a verdict announcement on a case I tried. :smile: Just apply some common sense to your calorie burns and use it as tool, not accept it as fact.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    There are some benefits for some people here and there, but I think the biggest potential benefit, and the only way I could see something like a fitbit "helping with weight loss" is if having a gadget on your wrist helped to keep you engaged, aware and focused on what you should be doing. For some, it might just be a visual reminder. For others, it's another set of data points. For still others, it's a neat new gadget.

But ultimately, you have to be willing to manage your intake and be patient. There are no ways to cut those corners and still be successful long term.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have had a FitBit for about 4 years. I trusted it while losing weight, ate back the calorie adjustments and lost at the rate I wanted. In maintenance, I find it invaluable because I use the total calories burned as an accurate estimate of my TDEE - so I still eat back those exercise cals.

As you’re just starting using the tools together - check out the FitBit users group and in particular the FAQ thread. Make sure your activity setting is appropriate for your actual activity, and enable negative calorie adjustments to ensure you don’t overeat on very Sedentary days.

Good luck - I love mine.

That's interesting, I never thought about using it as a maintenance tool as well! What model do you have?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I have had a fitbit for 5 years. It doesn't necessarily help me lose weight (eating less calories than I burn does that), but it definitely does motivate me to move more, which is a huge benefit for overall health.
  • sorchaedwards1991
    sorchaedwards1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Do I still need to turn on negative calorie adjustment if I've set my activity level to sedentary? Also, I've always wondered....MFP still counts you for doing steps even if you're set as sedentary, so I'm wondering why my fitbit starts adding calories burned from 1000 steps onwards? It doesn't add a lot, but it adds none the less. I would have thought it would only start adding calories burned after 5000 steps as that's what's considered above sedentary.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Good luck - I love mine.

That's interesting, I never thought about using it as a maintenance tool as well! What model do you have?

Originally the flex and now the surge HR.

Knowing the total cals burned (and that it’s accurate for me as I maintain eating back those cal adjustments) is one of the best things about FitBit. And mine is higher than MFP or other calculators would predict since I’m a petite female over 40 but my TDEE is around 2100-2200.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    I have my activity level set to lightly active with negative adjustments enabled. I start to earn extra calories at around 4500 steps... So Sunday 28th I only had 5045 steps and got an extra 37 calories, but the next day I had 15535 steps and got an extra 447 calories. I couldn't be without my FitBit! I love it and it is really helping me to be consistent with my weight loss... I have actually gone out at night for an extra walk to earn calories for wine!!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Do I still need to turn on negative calorie adjustment if I've set my activity level to sedentary? Also, I've always wondered....MFP still counts you for doing steps even if you're set as sedentary, so I'm wondering why my fitbit starts adding calories burned from 1000 steps onwards? It doesn't add a lot, but it adds none the less. I would have thought it would only start adding calories burned after 5000 steps as that's what's considered above sedentary.

Mine's doing the same, I hadn't been able to switch on negative calories via the app but have found it now via desktop site

Mine added over 1000 the other day and I had taken under 5000 steps so I'm wary of the numbers despite having my fit bit for over a year

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

Yes, I start at -80 calories every day with MFP set on sedentary.

And I do remember also not being to turn on negative adjustment from the app.

You have to keep in mind that you won't get adjustment on steps alone though - you'll get a bigger adjustment from a 2000 steps 300 calories workout than a 2000 steps walk, for example. So it's not just about steps.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    It helped me become and stay more active. Which is helpful for losing weight and eventually maintaining.

When I first got mine I was so sedentary that if I didn't workout, I would lose calories on MFP even with being set to Sedentary. I was shocked. My workouts just made it so I didn't lose calories at Sedentary. That was in 2013. That was my eye-opener. I am active now and my Fitbit is my reminder to stay that way.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Yes. Love it. Keeps me accountable because I can see how active/inactive I am.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited February 2018
    I love mine, for not just the calories burned but a bird's eye view of my overall lifestyle:

1. I'm noticing that if I don't sleep for at least 7 hours, I'm ravenous for carbs and junk. Over 9, I could go most of the day without eating. There are some minor weight fluctuations associated with length of sleep. It doesn't matter how long I'm in bed because I have long restless periods that cut into my total sleep time (have a charge 2 with the heart rate monitor that's fairly accurate for day to day purposes).

2. If I don't have a reminder, I might think that I'm getting the steps I need to be, but I might not get up but every three hours. I really like to connect the walking dots so make it a point to actually walk every hour.

3. My intentional calorie burn is overestimated but my steps definitely help me earn some extra snacks. I only ever eat like 1/2 of my exercise calories back.

4. I really like their weight trending feature.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited February 2018
    69jmbc423qti.png
    3nru9ihstnxb.png

The day to day of weight loss is nuts but this helps to make sense of the chaos.
  • chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    I have a fitbit and love it. I do have a slightly irregular heartbeat at times, so I disabled the heart rate feature. I found that if I had a day with a lot of irregular episodes, it thought I was exercising the whole time and gave me a ton of calories. Now that I have turned off that feature, it is extremely accurate. I'm using it for maintenance but it worked well during my 50 lb loss as well.