Bounce calories

Options
Hey everyone, I go to bounce classes which is a hi-intensity workout on mini-trampolines. The classes I do are for 40 minutes exercise on the trampoline, followed by sit-ups and leg workouts for 20 minutes. I can't find any category for logging bounce or trampolining activity as exercise on MFP - can anybody recommend something similar? I don't have a Fitbit and won't have one until late April at least so I have no way of measuring genuine calories. The teacher reckons we burn around 600-800 but I have a feeling its more like 450 wish. Its hard to plan my eating around it without knowing a more accurate way. If anyone has any ideas of websites or a category on MFP, it would be a huge help. Thanks.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Maybe aerobics for the time on the trampoline

Calisthenics for the rest if bodyweight
    Circuit Training if it's like a circuit with (little to no rest) weights or bands
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think even 450 is too high unless someone weighs more than 80-90 kg. Over an hour, and despite the advertised “high intensity” portion, I doubt the average MET level is more than 5-6 (meaning the first 40 min avg about 7, but the last 20 is 2-30. Taking out BMR and i would not log any more than 350.

PS: a Fitbit will be useless at measuring calories for a class like this.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I think even 450 is too high unless someone weighs more than 80-90 kg. Over an hour, and despite the advertised “high intensity” portion, I doubt the average MET level is more than 5-6 (meaning the first 40 min avg about 7, but the last 20 is 2-30. Taking out BMR and i would not log any more than 350.

@Azdak could you elaborate further? What's MET? I've actually been trying to figure out what a reasonable min avg is (I'm about 99-100kg).
  • leandra23xx
    leandra23xx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, I will try and log as aerobics and then calisthenics and see roughly what the calories add up. I definitely would rather lower them on MFP if unsure. I don't know what MET is either? I weigh 62.5 kg. Thanks everyone for your advice - any other opinions much appreciated too...new to all this!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most exercise earns me 5-10 calories per minute. This is based in my own review of various exercise burns when I first started. Everything falls into that range regardless of the specific activity or name if the class. I use 10 only for the hardest most vigorous continuous exercise. Elite athletes training hard don't earn much more than that, and I know I'm nowhere near that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Rebounding burns 450-700 calories per hour.

Maybe for the trampoline.
  • leandra23xx
    leandra23xx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ok thanks for that. Interesting question, why would a fitbit not be best suited for a trampoline workout? Are they only good for running?
  • Azdak
    edited February 2018
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »

@Azdak could you elaborate further? What's MET? I've actually been trying to figure out what a reasonable min avg is (I'm about 99-100kg).

Sorry: a MET is a shorthand number for expressing the aerobic intensity of an activity. 1 MET is defined as the energy expended at rest.

The higher/harder the workload (e.g. running at 6 mph vs walking at 3 mph), the higher the MET value. Also the higher the rate of calories burned.

Some examples:
    Walking 3 mph: 3 METs
    Walking 4 mph: 4.2 METs
    Running 6 mph: 10 METS

Because of the intermittent nature of most classes (i.e. alternating periods of higher intensity with lower-effort), average MET values tend to fall in the 4-8 METs range.

A quick way to estimate calories is: MET value x body wt in kg=Calories per hour.

For example, an 80kg person running 6 mph will burn approximately 800 calories per hour. (BTW, that should clearly show why claims of 800 calories per hour for a group ex classes are exaggerated).

PS: using METs is only appropriate for aerobic activities, not HIIT or strength training).
  • Azdak
    Options
    ok thanks for that. Interesting question, why would a fitbit not be best suited for a trampoline workout? Are they only good for running?

Something like a Fitbit is collecting a lot of data points and then using software algorithms to translate that raw data into metrics such as calories burned.

An overly simplistic explanation is that the algorithms must be based on assumptions about what you are doing. If you are running—i.e. doing a relatively simple, consistent movement—it assumptions can be a decent “fit” for what you are actually doing. The more random and changing the movement becomes, the less reliable the “assumptions” will be.

Plus, as you move away from steady-state aerobic effort, the relationship between heart rate and calories burned becomes more skewed and much less accurate.

Some of the data can be useful—just not the exercise calories part.