Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• vegnstrong48
    vegnstrong48 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. 48 here, feel free to add me.
  • OCDOD
    OCDOD Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Minor setback this week. This is why I will never wear those pedicure slippers into my garage while it’s raining again. Those things should come with a freaking warning label 😖
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So this weekend I did the Bataan Memorial Death March at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico and was unable to finish. I had to drop out at mile 23. This was my third year to compete and just wasn't able to finish. I was three miles from the finish and my knee gave out. I have been so mad at myself and have cried because I feel like I gave up. So today I am trying to pick myself back up and give my knee a couple of days to heal and then training starts for next year. I just want to share some inspiration that pushes me each year. Col. Ben Skardon is 101 and a survivor of the original Death March and was a POW for 4 years during World War II. He completed 8 miles the weekend in memory of those who didn't come home.2ygyzq3i98j4.jpg
    So this weekend I did the Bataan Memorial Death March at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico and was unable to finish. I had to drop out at mile 23. This was my third year to compete and just wasn't able to finish. I was three miles from the finish and my knee gave out. I have been so mad at myself and have cried because I feel like I gave up. So today I am trying to pick myself back up and give my knee a couple of days to heal and then training starts for next year. I just want to share some inspiration that pushes me each year. Col. Ben Skardon is 101 and a survivor of the original Death March and was a POW for 4 years during World War II. He completed 8 miles the weekend in memory of those who didn't come home.2ygyzq3i98j4.jpg

My principal ran in this too! I’m proud of you!
  • daisyf717
    daisyf717 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I do know I have to cut out ALL alcohol, ALL fried foods, ALL sugar (within reason)... Seems as if I need to be a drill sergeant if I want to see any results.
    I really don't know how to do this, but I'm so sad and uncomfortable in my own skin every single day. [/quote]

I think you may not have to cut out All sugar, fried foods, etc. I think (I do too) we have to find some way to eat healthy 80-90% and have those treats on occasion. And by on occasion, I mean wayyyy less that I’d like. But I’d reiterate what mom23mangoes said that you have to find that balance (likely through time and success and failures) based on what you like to eat.

Start small, and good luck!

• suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You can do it!
    Does anyone have a diet they successfully have followed? Not like a fad diet or anything, but meal examples please. I need serious help. Thx.

It all depends on how you like to eat. I prefer a lower fat, higher volume, frequent meals over a low carb, high fat diet. A good rule of thumb if you don't want to actually weigh and track is a lean protein the size of your palm, a complex carb the size of your fist and two fistfulls of veggies. An palmful of nuts or 2tbsp oil per day. That would be for 5-6 meals a day, but if you only eat 3, then you could double up.

I really don't know. I started to say low carb, high fat is more appealing but the truth is, I've been trying to lose weight for so long and been unsuccessful, I just want to eat however is best for my body to lose weight. :(
    I do know I have to cut out ALL alcohol, ALL fried foods, ALL sugar (within reason)... Seems as if I need to be a drill sergeant if I want to see any results.
    I really don't know how to do this, but I'm so sad and uncomfortable in my own skin every single day.

I have cut fried food except on very rare occasion. I don't drink alcohol, but do have a soda every other day. I've recently cut "sweets", meaning dessert foods (not fruit) recently, but just for Lent.

I've lost 36 pounds over the last 14 months. It's a slow go to get off these last 10 or so, and I think cutting those desserts is helping at the moment.

But what I've done differently THIS time losing weight is very different from what I've done in the past. I've lost it so many times, but gained it all back because I went back to my old ways of eating.

If you want to keep it off, you've got to make permanent changes. I strongly feel that you shouldn't do much of anything you're not willing to do for the rest of your life, otherwise the weight will come back on. For example, if you think you're going to go back to eating some fried food, then cut down now, and stick with that. But don't get rid of it completely if you know you won't be able to get rid of it forever. I now eat much healthier than I ever did before, and I plan on eating this way forever. I still have my every-other-day-soda because I knew I'd never be willing to cut it out completely. I made it work for me, and will stick to this method. I do some strength training most days of the week (at least 5) and cardio on 2-3 of those days. But I'm not doing anymore than I want to do for life..... less than an hour each day to keep it realistic. Most days 30-40 minutes. I wasn't going to work out intensely 6 days a week, get my body used to it, and then cut it out one day.

I don't consider this a diet. I consider it a complete lifestyle change. On my profile, under my name, I've written "Living a new life." Because that's what this has to be.... a new life. If you make positive changes that you're willing to stick with for life, the weight will come off... maybe slowly.... but surely, and you won't gain it back.

You can do it!
  • Bellavita32
    Bellavita32 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 49 next Tuesday.... Sure dont feel it...💪💪
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    You can do it!
    Does anyone have a diet they successfully have followed? Not like a fad diet or anything, but meal examples please. I need serious help. Thx.

It all depends on how you like to eat. I prefer a lower fat, higher volume, frequent meals over a low carb, high fat diet. A good rule of thumb if you don't want to actually weigh and track is a lean protein the size of your palm, a complex carb the size of your fist and two fistfulls of veggies. An palmful of nuts or 2tbsp oil per day. That would be for 5-6 meals a day, but if you only eat 3, then you could double up.

I really don't know. I started to say low carb, high fat is more appealing but the truth is, I've been trying to lose weight for so long and been unsuccessful, I just want to eat however is best for my body to lose weight. :(
    I really don't know how to do this, but I'm so sad and uncomfortable in my own skin every single day.

I have cut fried food except on very rare occasion. I don't drink alcohol, but do have a soda every other day. I've recently cut "sweets", meaning dessert foods (not fruit) recently, but just for Lent.

I've lost 36 pounds over the last 14 months. It's a slow go to get off these last 10 or so, and I think cutting those desserts is helping at the moment.

But what I've done differently THIS time losing weight is very different from what I've done in the past. I've lost it so many times, but gained it all back because I went back to my old ways of eating.

If you want to keep it off, you've got to make permanent changes. I strongly feel that you shouldn't do much of anything you're not willing to do for the rest of your life, otherwise the weight will come back on. For example, if you think you're going to go back to eating some fried food, then cut down now, and stick with that. But don't get rid of it completely if you know you won't be able to get rid of it forever. I now eat much healthier than I ever did before, and I plan on eating this way forever. I still have my every-other-day-soda because I knew I'd never be willing to cut it out completely. I made it work for me, and will stick to this method. I do some strength training most days of the week (at least 5) and cardio on 2-3 of those days. But I'm not doing anymore than I want to do for life..... less than an hour each day to keep it realistic. Most days 30-40 minutes. I wasn't going to work out intensely 6 days a week, get my body used to it, and then cut it out one day.

I don't consider this a diet. I consider it a complete lifestyle change. On my profile, under my name, I've written "Living a new life." Because that's what this has to be.... a new life. If you make positive changes that you're willing to stick with for life, the weight will come off... maybe slowly.... but surely, and you won't gain it back.

You can do it!

Thanks for your comments @suzyjmcd2 and @daisyf717 ! I was being extra hard on myself when I posted that. I was feeling hopeless. :( Good news is I've lost 3 lbs this week, so I guess I've figured something out. :)
    Basically, I've cut out fried foods, cut down on sugar as much as I can, cut down on alcohol (1 glass of red wine at night), have added more exercise into my day (gym visits, bike rides around the neighborhood, planning on yoga this weekend) eating as many whole foods as possible - lots of fruits, eating good dairy (greek yogurt, cottage cheese)... It's encouraging to see the number on the scale come down if even a few lbs. And that's what I needed more than anything!
    @suzyjmcd2 - if you had made your comments on Monday about a lifestyle change, I would have said that hasn't worked for me in the past. But today, I know that's 100% true. I feel better all over today and I know it's from the lifestyle changes I have made this week. :)
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options

CONGRATS! That is truly amazing. I'm following your lead. :smiley:
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

You can do it!

Thanks for your comments @suzyjmcd2 and @daisyf717 ! I was being extra hard on myself when I posted that. I was feeling hopeless. :( Good news is I've lost 3 lbs this week, so I guess I've figured something out. :)
    Basically, I've cut out fried foods, cut down on sugar as much as I can, cut down on alcohol (1 glass of red wine at night), have added more exercise into my day (gym visits, bike rides around the neighborhood, planning on yoga this weekend) eating as many whole foods as possible - lots of fruits, eating good dairy (greek yogurt, cottage cheese)... It's encouraging to see the number on the scale come down if even a few lbs. And that's what I needed more than anything!
    @suzyjmcd2 - if you had made your comments on Monday about a lifestyle change, I would have said that hasn't worked for me in the past. But today, I know that's 100% true. I feel better all over today and I know it's from the lifestyle changes I have made this week. :)

That's awesome!!!! Just one week at a time is all it takes!!! Way to go!
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    kenkel4 wrote: »

My principal ran in this too! I’m proud of you!

Thank you. It is neat that your principal did the same race.
  • Danuska77
    Danuska77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello I returned here after very long time, had few very difficult years but after the recent back operation I decided to face life full on, I was hoping to do this with someone. Realisation that health/weight is all about frame of mind I would like to find some like-minded friends as those I have are not on the same page. If you interested to become my friend and do this together please add me
  • wodsi
    wodsi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am 40 and just getting back on the bandwagon. Joined Planet Fitness this week, and have been solidly tracking for the better part of 2 weeks (I have had days where I didn't track). Glad to find a group in similar steps!!!
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    So my windows are rolled up, and a tween, maybe 12 says to me (comes right up to the glass) and says I look too 1990s. I have a headset with mouth piece. (Partly because I find it hard to hear). I rolled down the window and said, "you don't know if someone has a hearing imparement". His mom, who apparently was one car over had him appologize. Did I over react?
  • Kahunacrystal74
    Kahunacrystal74 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I don’t get to come in very often to check out how all of you amazing ladies are doing but when I do I always feel a renewed sense of inspiration! I’ve been traveling a bit lately and just started a new job with a major promotion so to say I’ve been busy is a bit of an understatement. It’s a good busy an exciting busy! I weighed in this morning and I am officially down 51lbs. Since December! So excited about the progress! Thanks for letting me share, have a great week ladies! tk81gx1lv7v5.jpeg
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    So my windows are rolled up, and a tween, maybe 12 says to me (comes right up to the glass) and says I look too 1990s. I have a headset with mouth piece. (Partly because I find it hard to hear). I rolled down the window and said, "you don't know if someone has a hearing imparement". His mom, who apparently was one car over had him appologize. Did I over react?

😮 oh wow! I woulda just smiled and said back “Cool! I loved the 90’s!” 🤣🤣🤣
  • OCDOD
    OCDOD Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I could use some extra motivation to stay on track. Feel free to add me. I’d love to have more friends on here.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »

😮 oh wow! I woulda just smiled and said back “Cool! I loved the 90’s!” 🤣🤣🤣

I think I was just caught off guard, because of the "proximity" in my personal space. I wasn't outside in the open. It felt invasive. Your answer is probably a better one.
  • Legacy_Dream_Legend
    Legacy_Dream_Legend Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and have about 100 pounds to lose