Where are the 45-55 year olds ???

Options
Hello everyone!

I am a 50 year old woman ( 51 on Sept 20th) who lives in the Austin area of Texas. My name is Susan and I would love to connect with others in my age range who can relate to some of the issues we experience.

I want to meet new people, make new friends both online and off and support, encourage, motivate, be inspired & inspiring!

Who are you?
Where are you from?
What struggles do you have?
What goals do you have?
Do you have a fitness program?
What parts of your body give you problems?
What symptoms do you have associated with your weight?
Do you have a support system?
What is your food weakness?
What do you struggle with emotionally around eating?
What are your danger foods?

I would really love to hear from all you!!! What works for you, what doesn`t work you.... the good bad and the ugly!

Let`s get connected!

Replies

• keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm also Susan, 46, and from California. I am always looking to add friends who can support each other and help keep me on the straight and narrow path. I started walking inclines on my treadmill in Feb. of 2012, lost a good 10 pounds before getting linked into MFP where I have lost 5 since November. I have upped to running, and circuit/weights a couple of days a week. While I am on a slower path to my goal now, what I have gained is a way of eating and exercising that will last indefinitely and will keep those pesky pounds away for good.

My struggles are carbs/chocolate- love them- and wine is a favorite I won't give up, so I make them fit into my day. I don't always hit under my goal calories, but stick pretty close to maintenance calories each day and always record my foods as best I can.
    Would love to lose the rest of the lower half of my body, thighs and bum- have always had them, but would like them to keep shrinking a bit more!
    Friend me if you like!:smile:
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi Susan and Susan!
    Susan Davis I sent you a friend request. I am Kristine, 50 and I live in Arizona. I lost 55 pounds over the course of about a year and a half doing beachbody workouts and drinking shakeology. My catalyst originally was my daughter getting married in Maui. Then a son got married, then another son got married!! Thank goodness I am done with all of that, but it did get me on the road to a healthier lifestyle. I got to goal in June of 2012. Since about March of this year I have managed to allow almost 15 pounds to creep back on so I got back onto MFP to put my eating and exercising in front of me.

My goal now is to lose 12 pounds and I am using the Belly Fat Cure to see how that works. I am in my 3rd week, I lost 3 pounds the first week and nothing since. My struggles are mostly with wine. I also refuse to give it up so I work it into my eating plan.

For fitness right now I am doing nothing. It is over 100 degrees day and night here for the next 6 weeks or so and working out just is too hard. Even walking in the early morning it is in the 90's so that is out of the question. In the past I have done Power 90, Chalean Extreme, Turbo Jam and Hip Hop Abs. Power 90 got the first 35 pounds off. My only support system is my husband but he really doesn't count because he loves me no matter what!

My danger foods are salty carbs. Better Cheddars, Cheese-it, Lays Potato Chips. I have to say that none of those things have crossed my lips in over 2 years. I try to stay away from processed foods completely. I cook every night. I don't eat frozen meals, or use frozen or canned veggies. The only things I buy in a box are whole foods like oatmeal, quinoa, rice, pasta, etc. I try to limit my meats to chicken or fish or go meatless altogether which has made the BFC a little difficult since I get most of my protein from things that have carbs like vegetables, legumes, grains and nuts.

Hubby wants to go for Margaritas for happy hour, UGH!! So much sugar!

I will friend you too Susan from CA! I love your pic. My empty nester baby was a chihuahua who passed away last year. Still breaks my heart.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and would like more friends who are active and do post. Anyone in this age range 45-55 ( or any other age range for that matter!!! ) plz feel free to add me :)
  • mojoryzn
    mojoryzn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tyler-Longview Texas Area

I guess I fit here. Most of the people I know trying to get into shape are MUCH younger than me. It doesn't seem that they have to work as hard. I started at 270 lbs. For the first twenty pounds calorie counting, 1200 per day, with light exercise. I am now combining calorie counting with predominantly lean protein diet, maintain carbs at 100g give or take, I do not beat myself up if I go over. In addition, I maintain under 35 sugars per day, I do beat myself up if I go over on sugar. In this second phase of weight loss I have started two a days for two days in a row, cardio and light weights, then one day of cardio. I weighed 248 this morning. I need to log that :) My short term goal is 220 lbs.

My weakness is bread, but I have only had one serving of bread in the last 3 months.
  • Charlesalee1
    Options
    I'm 48 and getting back into soccer shape to play in a 45+ soccer league here in Hawaii. This tool is helping me reach my goals. I just wish it had a simple email feature that would allow me to simply email my diary to people.

God Bless,
    Charles
  • AnneGFarmer2
    Options
    Hi. I'm a new member who just joined a few days ago. I just turned 50 on July 26th. I've decided to go ahead and try to loose maybe 25 pounds for the third time since hitting forty. I have always been thin or close to it most of my life before that. I have always had problems with putting the weight back on again nowadays after losing it.

Slightly over a year ago I had surgery to remove a rather large cyst and they also took the ovary. After that I put on the weight again. Before that I was doing well with my excersize bike until it broke. A friend was kind enough to give me the money for a new ones but the problem was lack of room here where I live. My mother is elderly and she ended up falling on hard cement over it and luckily she didn't die, but she blamed me right away which made me feel really bad. I have to be here to help her and my dad though at times. I just deal with alot of emotional hurt with my parents at times and it doesn't help my eating either.

I have finally decided to get serious about losing 25 pounds again and have been walking the pounds away. So far I might have lost 1 pound in two days with a calorie count of 1200 and this walking everyday for at least 20 minutes. I'm 150 pounds and 5' 4" tall and if I keep this up in 5 weeks I'll be about 134.9 pounds according to this site, which I'll be thrilled with. My weaknesses are dairy and carbs. I can sometimes have the need indulge in some sweets but if I have to I can resort to healthy food instead or limit them as I did in the past. I just had to make up my mind about when, which is now. I have some other health issues such as a thyroid issue and arthritis so my excersize routine is somewhat limited. I have so much drive though now I'm not sure where it came from but I like it!

Add me, I hope to be back to chat soon~ My name is Anne by the way.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Awwwwwwwwww shucks! JUST missed it.
  • dar9757
    dar9757 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi I am Darline, and I am 54. I am from Cleveland, Ohio. I have been on MFP since June, and i love the support system here. My friends are encouraging. I hope to lose 20 more lbs before the years end, I have trouble losing now that I am older. I seem to lose and gain back a few with water weight. I also have trouble with my stomach, which i never had until I turned 48. Now it is just there, and I hate it. I work out 3 times a week at least, maybe more. It helps me maintain a good energy level and i have lost about 1 lb a week. I do cheat sometimes and that does not help, lol. Good luck and add me. I hope I can help encourage you.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    here is a thread from a couple of weeks ago where a couple hundred over 40's responded.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1040292-looking-for-more-over-40-s
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Right here...Add me if you would like :smile:
  • msfit47
    msfit47 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi, I will be 48 in October !

Who are you? My name is Carla. Married 28 years... mother of 7 and grandmother of 4
    Where are you from? I'm from Austin Texas but live in Alabama
    What struggles do you have? Sweets
    What goals do you have? To compete in a body building competition before I turn 50
    Do you have a fitness program? Yes
    What parts of your body give you problems? My butt though it is shaping up nicely its just taking longer than I would like!!
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? I'm at a healthy weight so no symptoms from weight just age :)
    Do you have a support system? Myself
    What is your food weakness? Chocolate
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? I have never used food as an emotional crunch. I tend to clean everything when I'm depressed or just sad.
    What are your danger foods? Did I mention chocolate :)
  • msfit47
    msfit47 Posts: 20
    Options
    To Everyone,,,
    Please add me if you like :)
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Who are you? Dianna
    Where are you from? MA
    What struggles do you have? Controlling BP and water retention issues (Sodium)
    What goals do you have? lower my BF% and keeping my BP down (taken off meds recently)
    Do you have a fitness program? Walking and weight lifting (not heavy - not yet)
    What parts of your body give you problem? Lower abs (I call it my kangaroo pouch)
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? Water retention
    Do you have a support system? Yes! My LIBF is here also
    What is your food weakness? FOOD (though I don't consider food a weakness- EAT THE FOOD!!)
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? N/A
    What are your danger foods? sodium laden stuff

Add me if you'd like, I am good for support. - Oh and I am 45 <-- :)
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Kathy and I will be 50 in 2014 . I live in Florida and just joined MFP at the beginning of July. My goal is to be 50 and fabulous! I have struggled with my weight for much of the last 20 years, with ups and downs. I actually joined WW in 2011 and did lose about 22 lbs over the course of about a year or so. I have gained about 12 of the lbs back and about a month ago decided enough is enough. I love MFP, and have found some great support through friends in our age range going through the same journey.

I like a few others also love wine! I decided if I want to have things I love, I have to exercise, so I joined LA Fitness and have been working out about 4 - 5 x a week. I have lost 4 lbs so far and I have about 20 - 25 lbs to go. We can do this, we just need a little help from our friends. I will send you a friend request. Any of you feel free to add me as a friend too :-)!
  • lynda3y9
    lynda3y9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump---coming back later but feel free to add me
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Who are you?Where are you from? Mandy belle from beautiful British Columbia.
    What struggles do you have? I have had an issue with my right shoulder for about five years.
    What goals do you have? To build back my deltoid muscles which are puny from lack of use over the last nine months and to get stronger overall.
    Do you have a fitness program? Not really. I run 5 km and a 10 km at least once a year. I used to do a whole body strength routine five or so years ago. My loose plan is to do compound lifts a few times a week, yoga, and help other people to run ten km.
    What parts of your body give you problems? Right shoulder and right hip flexor. Right shoulder will hopefully be fixed in 2 weeks with surgery. Stretching helps my hip flexor plus my shoulder might contribute to this problem.
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? None. I am a healthy weight.
    Do you have a support system? I have found mfp to be supportive as well as my husband and 2 good girlfriends, one who is a runner and one who is a body builder.
    What is your food weakness? Potato chips and hash browns. I could live on chip butties:)
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? I think I have this under control. I will indulge if I'm tired, sad, cold, etc. but won't allow more than one day to drown my sorrows in food.
    What are your danger foods? There is no such thing as a danger food.

Keep it simple!!!! Just eat at or below TDEE making sure to have a goal for protein and fats or whatever else may be important for you individually. This is what works best for me:)

These are great questions! Thanks, I wish everyone the best of luck with your goals:)
  • tomthompson1
    tomthompson1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'll! I'm Tom, born and raised in Atlanta, still in the metro area, I started about a year ago at 265, currently at 239, eating 'clean' and getting better every day, I started on MFP about 7 weeks ago, don't really have a fitness plan but I do log my food every day and try to walk/exercise each day with a goal of 5 days per week, my weakness is sweets so I'm working on having fruit for my snacks, I have in this past year picked up some used equipment at good prices and built a small gym-like in the garage, my goal is 215 but seriously would really like to see under 200 one day, and I'm 54!
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, 45 here and I cant remember all the questions, but I'm from PA and my food that gives me fits is chocolate. Good luck everyone!
  • opoliakova
    Options
    I am 45 years old. I live in North Carolina. I teach so I do not burn all that many calories due to work. I just started on this site several days ago. I have already lost almost six pounds due to watching what I eat and exercising. Today was my worst day so far ( I should have known not to buy walnuts - I cannot eat just a few of them - oh well), but I think it will be Ok to have a bad day once in a while. I have the goal of getting down to 180 pounds (I am 5-10). Right now I am at 252.4.
  • synnglemommm
    synnglemommm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lisa from Maryland and I just turned 50 in January and started my healthier me on 2/24/13 and as of last weekend 7/28/13 I lost 56.4 lbs. When I started I did not exercise or eat healthy and was on 8 different meds (5 for diabetes, 2 for HBP and 1 for cholesterol). I began exercising 5 times a week and changed my eating completely 360 degrees and when I went back to my dr for a checkup on 5/30/13, I had lost over 24 lbs and the labs I had done the week before changed dramatically, so much so that he took me off all the meds except a half a pill for my HBP. My sugar went from 235 to 95, A1C from 10.2 to 6.5, cholesterol 178 to 79, and he was amazed. I go back this month and have tracked my BP for the past 2 months and it's averaging 119/78 so he may possibly take me off the last 1/2 pill which is what I'm striving for.

My weakness is chocolate.

I exercise now 6 days a week and alternate between cardio and strengthening exercises. I ran my first 5K race the end of June and completed it in 42:39 minutes which wasn't bad for a first timer. I have two more 5Ks coming up in Sept and Nov and am doing another 5K but it is an obstacle mud run, the Dirty Girl Mud Run this coming Saturday. Where I work out outside is like a bootcamp that a friend who is a personal trainer runs 4-5 times a week and lets just say I'm the mamma of the group. All the others are in the mid/late 20's and I'm the only 50 year old that goes.

My problem area is my stomach and finding it hard now to figure out what to do to get rid of it.

I have a 18 year old who just finished her first year of college and am a single parent that works full time and then exercises after work for an hour minimum.

Lisa