New to wearing glasses

Options
Chriswashere86
Chriswashere86 Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi :) I learned today that I need glasses! So I ordered those at the eye doc today. I'm just a little nearsighted apparently lol
Do you wear yours in the gym? Any tips?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    *I* have to wear them, but don't wear them if you don't have to.
    Make sure to wipe them off when you're done. The sweat on the nose bridge can clog your pores.
    Make sure that you get ones that won't slip off during vigorous activity.

Benching with glasses is annoying. They slide down and touch your eyelashes.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I used to take them off in the gym and just put them with my phone and keys. Now I wear contacts. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses everywhere or I can not see more than a foot away. It makes me very uncomfortable to not see my surroundings and other people clearly.
    If you can see fairly okay without them maybe leave them off during exercise if it is comfortable and safe to do so.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I have to wear something. Most days I wear my glasses, but some days I wear contacts just due to the glasses not staying on my face during things like burpees (up, down, pushup, up, jump, down....ya, glasses don't like that once you're remotely sweaty).
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I have to wear something. Most days I wear my glasses, but some days I wear contacts just due to the glasses not staying on my face during things like burpees (up, down, pushup, up, jump, down....ya, glasses don't like that once you're remotely sweaty).

Yeah, my glasses love to flop around during burpees. I need to order a backup pair before I have cause to seriously regret it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I typically wear contacts, because I can't stand wearing glasses during exercise.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I take mine off for exercise, generally speaking. They just get smudged.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I wear mine. They have slipped down my nose but I get them readjusted and then they’re fine. If it becomes a real problem you can get bands that keep them on your head. I use that with my sunglasses when running outside.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing glassed most all of my 64 years, 53 of them anyway and it sucks! Sweating with them on, especially in cold weather is the worst. To keep them on my face when I'm working out I use croakies or chums. If you ever have the option to have lasik surgery do it! My son did it many years ago with great success, although now he's getting to the age of needing reading glasses.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I bought some cheaper contacts just for the gym. Otherwise I always wear glasses. (By cheap I mean single vision not progressive/dual vision like my glasses.)

My glasses aways got smeared when I would wipe my face or forehead with a towel. But if the glasses fit well you should not have too big of a problem.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see past my nose most of my life. I HATED wearing glasses for anything active. I opted to wear contacts when I could, and got LASIK once I wasn't able to wear contacts any more (ulcers). It's been a long time since the LASIK and now I am near-sighted again, but not as bad as before. I wear glasses the first time I go to a new gym or whatever, but I keep them off after that. It's aggravating not being able to see well, but better than having to deal with sweaty glasses sliding all over the place.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I wear contacts when I work out. If you're interested in that but don't want to wear contacts all the time, you might be able to get just a small supply of daily contacts to wear occasionally.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I need them to see, so I wear them working out. No problem, really, through heavy weights, sprints, sweating like crazy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are chum straps to hold them on your head. The current gymnastics world champion wears glasses all the time!
    https://usagym.org/pages/athletes/athleteListDetail.html?id=419843
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I wear mine because I can't see without them. I even purchased a pair of corrective goggles because I like being able to see the end of the pool and not find it with my head or by breaking my wrist against the pool deck.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jessetfan wrote: »
    I wear mine because I can't see without them. I even purchased a pair of corrective goggles because I like being able to see the end of the pool and not find it with my head or by breaking my wrist against the pool deck.

I get frustrated when I forget to bring my driving goggles in with me when I go to the dentist. I'm another one who can't see past his nose, and being unable to see while interacting is really frustrating.

For the pool, I'm actually usually OK. Which Is weird I guess.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I can't do any physical activity in my glasses. I never wear them enough to really get used to them and I hate the slight loss of peripheral vision and smudge factor.

Definitely look into contacts...they're not terribly dear and they're so much more convenient. At the very least, make sure that you get a pair of glasses that you are 100% comfortable wearing almost immediately. It's OK if you need to adjust to the fit and prescription for a day or so, but if you don't stop noticing them after a day or two definitely get them refitted, have the lens accuracy checked, or look into another pair.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I can't see at all without some form of correction, which is my glasses that I wear daily. I do have contacts and I only wear them when I go on longer than 20 minute runs because I sweat so much that I end up having to take my glasses off and then I just can't see anything at all. If I'm strength training I usually just wear my glasses.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    jessetfan wrote: »

I got prescription goggles too for the pool and they are amazing! I got them off of Amazon for only $20. One of the best fitness related purchases I've ever made.