Why is this so hard?

Options
All I want to do is order a pizza right now instead of eating my planned out dinner. No reason, I didn't have a bad day, nothing happened, I just want junk food all the time. I know I could still get the pizza and only eat two slices but that would never happen..

I'm not going to order the pizza but I've been thinking about it for 2 hours, that's not normal.

Replies

• HoneyBeez94
    HoneyBeez94 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get cravings a lot too, it happens to us all at some point. You have to learn to control it and distinguish if your actually hungry or if it is just cravings. Try drinking some water and eat a banana, it you still crave after that then try do something productive to take your mind off it :) hope this helps x
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's the curse of the calorie aware. It does get easier to a degree. I do wish that 1. I didn't live alone but only for the half hour it takes to eat take away. Harder to overeat it when sharing and 2. that pizza by the slice were a thing here. Or more of a thing, it's rare you find anywhere that does it.

I do sometimes get individual pizzas from the supermarket, either in the fridge or sometimes there's kids ones in the freezer. I then add my own toppings. Helps scratch the itch.
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I feel you, i never don't want pizza. always, any meal, pizza is welcome. Just recently tried Blaze pizza though and will be going back - whole pepperoni pizza was like 660 calories and yum. Will probably go every couple of weeks for that =)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    This is where I miss living in a city where you can find "pizza by the slice" easily ... I feel your pain!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you can cook, you could start making your own pizza, or other fast food, so you control portion size and ingredients, you could also have a scheduled fast food meal, just do your research in advance with a number of different options, eg if I want a burger I'll get the xx from yy. If you're troubled by intrusive cravings, ther are guided meditations you can do to reduce their impact
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    All I want to do is order a pizza right now instead of eating my planned out dinner. No reason, I didn't have a bad day, nothing happened, I just want junk food all the time. I know I could still get the pizza and only eat two slices but that would never happen..

I'm not going to order the pizza but I've been thinking about it for 2 hours, that's not normal.

Tell yourself you can have the pizza on the weekend, after you go for a long hike or bicycle ride. :)

I ate pizza about once a month when I was losing weight.

And that's basically how I handled all my cravings ... I told myself that I could wait till the weekend when I did lots of exercise. By the time I got to the weekend ... sometimes I still wanted whatever it was ... sometimes the craving had passed.
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Harder to overeat it when sharing

Except you won't share, you'll just order 2 portions of *kitten* and overeat anyway. I actually wish sometimes I did live alone: when at work I manage to balance but hubby often sabotages my efforts in the evening (and certainly during weekends)...

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When I have those cravings I plan them in for the next day or two ... right now I am craving a chicken, bacon, cheese, avocado, hash brown, brioche burger .... that’s 1000kcal ... so planning it for the weekend ... along with a small lunch and a smaller breakfast
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How many slices do you usually eat? Eating just one slice fewer is progress. It's hard because it's a big change, and change takes mindful effort which can be tiring sometimes. It gets a bit easier with time. Not as easy as just eating mindlessly, but easier. You will develop strategies that become kind of automatic. When I want a meal very high in calories I automatically default to skipping breakfast and lunch. Not very comfortable, but easy in the sense that I don't have to think about it, it just happens. Someone else may choose to save calories up throughout the week, and yet someone else will be fine with two slices. It's a strategy collecting, trial and error, lots of experimentation kind of learning curve. I can't promise you it will become effortless, but it does become smoother as you progress.

ETA: don't know where the other paragraphs disappeared - I wrote a lot. Anyway, here is a rewrite:

There are basically a few ways of ways to go about it, either to go all out and stop eating certain foods for a while to retrain your palate, but note this only works if you know you are cutting out foods for a specific purpose, not because foods are bad or fattening, and you know you will re-introduce them later if you wish. Downside is that this can be very stressful, upside you will see progress sooner.

The second way is to make changes that are so easy you barely feel like they are changes, but they accumulate. For example, drinking water before a meal will likely help you to consume a little bit less, not guaranteed but it doesn't cause the stress of having to control your portion. Then later reducing your portion just a little bit at a time to where it doesn't feel like you are really reducing it. For example, I used to eat a large pita sandwich, then I started giving the first bit to my dog, then I started cutting the pita and eating two thirds, until I was down to half which was my desired portion. Downside it can take longer to arrive where you want to be, upside more of these changes are likely to stick and become your new norm.

Another way is to just go in, doing the proper things, changing things in the process and expecting some discomfort. This is basically like eating in moderation and watching your portions right off the bat. Downside, lots of trial and error possibly before you are mentally ready to handle trial and error (new dieters tend to freak out over the slightest bump in the road), upside you get to learn a lot about yourself and make progress sooner.

Personally I used all three ways for different things. Nuts I had to snip right off because it was more stressful for me to moderate them than to cut them out. It was hell at first but it passed. I haven't fully re-introduced them as a stand-alone snack, but I can have them in things and it's perfectly okay for me. Things like oil and bread I reduced very gradually. Things like pizza I went right to portion control because it's not a food I'm prone to stressing about.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Junk food is easy to like, easy to eat, easy to get. Of course you want it. I'd say it's completely normal - annoying, but normal - you will want it more, the more you tell yourself you can't or shouldn't have it. What is your planned dinner? How does it compare? Is that something you look forward to?
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I sometimes "share" a takeaway with my dinner tomorrow; that works reasonably well if I pack up tomorrow's half straight away. Also, I occasionally go on an hours run after work and whack the pizza in the oven while I'm showering.