Mushy stomach

Options
Hi all,
I am in pretty good shape...but, I have a mushy stomach. Seems that no matter what I do, how much or how little I eat, I still have mush. I work out doing weights AND cardio 5 days a week. I eat clean. I even stopped drinking any alcohol which has helped with weight some...Any other suggestions???

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

I cant possibly say it any better than she did so its best you just read this.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Definitely give the thread above a read. But if you are at a good weight for your height, sometimes losing more won't help if you don't have the muscle base under it..so in that case you would follow the above but eat at maintenance and recomp.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your stats? Definitely give the thread above a read. But if you are at a good weight for your height, sometimes losing more won't help if you don't have the muscle base under it..so in that case you would follow the above but eat at maintenance and recomp.

I have great muscles under the fat. I just cannot seem to get rid of the fat. I was a wine drinker for years and years. I quit alcohol for the rest of my life 3 weeks ago. Yes, I had a problem. I am hoping that cutting out that sugar really helps in the long run. I can do ab work til the cows come home but I just cannot see the results. Ugh!

In the end you can cut out all the foods/alcohol and do all the ab work, but if you don't lower your bodyfat (with a calorie deficit or by recomping) then you won't see the results.

• flippy1234
    Options
    OK but how do I lower my body fat? Just keep doing what I am doing?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    OK but how do I lower my body fat? Just keep doing what I am doing?

What are your stats?

Typically unless you are at the low end of weight for your height, you will want to eat at a calorie deficit... set MFP up for 0.5lb loss per week and go from there.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Define mushy tummy? When I stand up it looks great but when I sit down its all flab.
  • flippy1234
    Options
    Define mushy tummy? When I stand up it looks great but when I sit down its all flab.

Yes this. But for all of the ab work I do and clean eating, etc...I should not have as much flab whether I am sitting or standing.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Yes this. But for all of the ab work I do and clean eating, etc...I should not have as much flab whether I am sitting or standing.

If you are not in a deficit, this is why. Again, you can eat as clean as you want, but that does not guarantee results.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Ab work and "clean eating" doesn't get rid of the flab. A calorie deficit does. Fat is inert, you can't exercise it.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    My stomach is flat as a result of not eating clean and doing no ab work. Go figure!
  • flippy1234
    Options
    Maybe it's my lot in life. LOL. I will see if quitting wine a few weeks ago makes a difference over time. I am in a deficit. I will keep at it I guess.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Maybe it's my lot in life. LOL. I will see if quitting wine a few weeks ago makes a difference over time. I am in a deficit. I will keep at it I guess.

If you are losing, and following the advice in the want a nice stomach thread, just have to be really patient