Keto yes or no

Options
I’m tired of gaining and losing 30 pounds past two years ..thinking I need something new

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If you think it's a way of eating that you can stick with, go for it.

It's not for me, but some people really like eating that way.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you find the foods you eat on the keto diet create better satiety and adherence to your calorie goal, keto can be advantageous. But it still comes down to eating less calories than you expend, regardless of what "diet" you're on.

There's nothing magical about keto that creates faster weight loss than any other diet, other than the initial rush of water weight loss in the beginning as you deplete the water/glycogen from your body by not eating carbs.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Any diet that creates a calorie deficit will help you lose weight.

The question you need to ask yourself is what has been making you gain and lose and then gain again? What keeps you spinning your wheels and what makes you think keto is going to be any different?

Do you understand the basics of weight management?

Keto is just a macro balance, and for some it's a very effective way of controlling hunger and cravings, but it's not a magic bullet.

You have to understand the basics of calories and energy balance to know how to regulate your weight in order to lose weight and maintain that loss, no matter what macro mix you're eating.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I’m tired of gaining and losing 30 pounds past two years ..thinking I need something new

It seems like you might have the "losing" part down. It's the maintenance of the loss that is the issue - and many, many people find maintenance to be the most challenging for a lot of reasons. So what you have to figure out is how your are going to live out the next 50, 60 years. Ultimately, you will need to change your lifestyle so that you eat fewer calories overall after you reach your goal weight. That's where the "new" part is for you. I doubt that "keto" is a sustainable way of eating for the next 5 decades ...

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Keto made losing weight for me a little easier, as it reduced my appetite and cravings. But i still had to calorie count as i could have easily gone over my deficit by not paying attention.
    I remember the calorie bomb when i made a smoothie, it was 1000 calories :open_mouth: It was very filling, but i never would have guessed it had that many calories!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Keto made losing weight for me a little easier, as it reduced my appetite and cravings. But i still had to calorie count as i could have easily gone over my deficit by not paying attention.
    I remember the calorie bomb when i made a smoothie, it was 1000 calories :open_mouth: It was very filling, but i never would have guessed it had that many calories!

Keto, by its very nature, is a very high-fat diet, and fats are very calorie dense (9 calories per gram vs. 4 calories/gram for protein and carbs). If one finds fat satiating in small quantities it can work, but a volume eater who is not easily satiated by fats can quickly and easily get to 2000+ calories/day. And since calories are what drive weight loss (not carbs or insulin), that can create issues with adherence to one’s calorie goal.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’ve never had any self-control around sugary, carb-y foods, and keto has been a really pleasant surprise for me. I had committed to doing it for January, and I knew a couple of weeks in I’d want to stick with it. I took a couple of days off at the beginning of February, didn’t really enjoy them that much, and was impatient to get back to keto! I’ve never felt so in control of my eating, and produce tastes amazing to me now. It’s easy to stay within my calories most days, and the weight is coming off nicely.

The bad: sooo much cooking. You can cobble together keto options at restaurants and deli counters, but mostly I just have to make everything myself. It’s probably healthier and helps to offset the cost of all that meat, but there are times when I’d really just like to grab a wrap. Speaking of all that meat: yikes, SO much! Vegetarian and even vegan keto is technically possible, but the only way I can make it work myself is with more meat than I’d prefer, both financially and environmentally. Thing three: I feel...flat? Like, I could walk literally all day long, but I don’t have an explosive workout in me basically ever. No crashes, which is cool, but also no highs. I even have trouble sleeping sometimes when I need to because my body’s like, “No, I’m fine; I’ll just carry on.”

Those annoyances are worth it to me in exchange for power over my binges and impulsive eating. They wouldn’t be worth it to everyone, obviously. So that’s the call you get to make for yourself. :)