McDonalds New Big Mac Range in the UK - please help

Options
I've lost 25lb since starting my weight loss Journey at the start of the year. Now with the very real temptation of McDonalds releasing their range of sizes of the Big Mac in UK...I'm struggling to stay away from the Golden arches.

Any words of wisdom or support would be greatly appreciated. Do I just go for it and work my Macros as best as possible or do I just start again tomorrow. Or should I just stay away????

I can just taste the amazing sauce as I think about it. :p

Thank you all!

Replies

• Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If it's something you really want to try, then I think you should. Having said that I think you should prelog before you go, so that you know it fits into your calorie allowance. Slightly different macro ratio, as a one off won't make much difference. You could bank some calories or do an extra workout, to help cover the extra calories. Personally I wouldn't just "go for it, then start again tomorrow", as this could easily undo any deficit. As thinking it doesn't matter and therefore doesn't count. Before starting again tomorrow's,I would have then eaten a lot more, while I could.
  • franklin505
    franklin505 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you want it have it and enjoy, nothing is out of bounds if the numbers add up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's 500 cals, fit it in your day/week if you want one.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you really want it and are going to feel disappointed not having it, then yeah, go for it. Work it into your calories. According to the website, the Mac Jr is only 400 calories, so not too difficult to make room for. If you're having a meal, switch the fries for the side salad so that it's only an extra 18 cals, rather than 337!

If it's the sauce, rather than the whole burger, that you're craving, you could always see if they'll give you a small portion of the sauce that you could have as a dip for chicken nuggets (my go-to McDonald's option as it's 259 kcal for 6). Or get the burger and don't eat the buns - scrape off the sauce and cheese and eat the patty (or patties) with a knife and fork. Dunno the cals for the buns but I assume it's Google-able.
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am strongly convinced that you can go to Mac (or whatever is your "poison") and stay on track calories AND macros wise. Burgers are a bit difficult to work around though as they contain more of everything, but take a side salad with it and water/diet soda and once in a while it should be ok.

Great tip to not eat the buns, here's some info already (bonus: it's from UK): http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/calories/provide-calorie-information-for-each-of-your-buns.html
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's 500 cals, fit it in your day/week if you want one.

The Grand Big Mac is 741 calories.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    If this is really your thing, try to make a plan. Does the new “range of sizes” include a smaller version? Get that.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25lb since starting my weight loss Journey at the start of the year. Now with the very real temptation of McDonalds releasing their range of sizes of the Big Mac in UK...I'm struggling to stay away from the Golden arches.

Any words of wisdom or support would be greatly appreciated. Do I just go for it and work my Macros as best as possible or do I just start again tomorrow. Or should I just stay away????

I can just taste the amazing sauce as I think about it. :p

Thank you all!

If you want one eat it. I like a big juicy burger from a local place sometimes but I don't make it my go-to for several meals a week, it's a treat here and there. I get off track too easily. Just include it in your calories for the day and you're fine. You just wouldn't want to eat one every day or anything (not that anyone would).
  • dayzeyblue
    dayzeyblue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Over here in US, they will put Big Mac sauce on anything you ask...like a kids meal burger...not the same but after its all done being eaten does it really matter...lately when I crave something evil...I eat my healthy meal then say...well your full just pretend you ate that pizza and beat yourself up for it...maybe that will kill the cravings....just fast forward to the guilt and shame part....lol.

But if I truly was just dreaming about that burger I would probably have it for lunch and drink protein shakes for morning and dinner to stay in calories if not macros.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    aemsley05 wrote: »
    If you really want it and are going to feel disappointed not having it, then yeah, go for it. Work it into your calories. According to the website, the Mac Jr is only 400 calories, so not too difficult to make room for. If you're having a meal, switch the fries for the side salad so that it's only an extra 18 cals, rather than 337!

If it's the sauce, rather than the whole burger, that you're craving, you could always see if they'll give you a small portion of the sauce that you could have as a dip for chicken nuggets (my go-to McDonald's option as it's 259 kcal for 6). Or get the burger and don't eat the buns - scrape off the sauce and cheese and eat the patty (or patties) with a knife and fork. Dunno the cals for the buns but I assume it's Google-able.

The buns are ridiculous amount of calories for very lame mediocre bread that's for sure
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss so far.

What's your goal though? Is a dirty burger worth stepping off the journey for, and once you've done it once will you be able to get back on or will it be a reintroduction of poorer eating habits?

Balancing between instantaneous gratification (that sauce) and long term benefits is why we get overweight in the first place, if you have control then fine, have one and be done.

Alternatively you could make a healthier alternative at home, get better, leaner meat, make a healthier sauce, have a huge side salad, wholemeal bread, etc. See it as a challenge to make something better tasting and healthier.

The dirty burger! The two second rule applies you know! LOL

Big Macs are the bomb! Like @TavistockToad said, make it fit into your calories for the week. I do that all the time. I have been maintaining my weight for two years now.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Get the Mac Jr. (the small single layer one). It's less than 500 calories. Skip the fries (or don't, just make it work for your target).
  • pandrew75
    pandrew75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One day do a fast for example 16/8, you can calorie control easier that way. Don't have breakfast then either have for lunch or one on the way home from work for Tea (Dinner). Then you can tick it off your list and move on. GL
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    . Do I just go for it and work my Macros as best as possible or do I just start again tomorrow.

Even the worst burger on the High St has macros! Not that macros are super important day to day anyway.....

Just fit it into your daily or weekly calorie allowance and move on. If you want it, budget it and have it.
    Every tomorrow is a fresh start, you shouldn't have the mentality of having to pay a penance for eating food you enjoy.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I just order a regular cheeseburger, no ketchup or mustard, add lettuce and Mac sauce. Less cals but I still get my fix. Oh and a diet coke.

Also, this dressing tastes just like Mac sauce... https://www.ketogenicgirl.com/blogs/ketogenic-recipes/ketogenic-big-mac-sauce

Make a big salad with lettuce, onions and pickles and shredded cheese, with a homemade burger on top with this sauce. Yum.
  • Bavieca
    Bavieca Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "Make your will one of iron, and your body will follow suit." my motto
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss so far.

What's your goal though? Is a dirty burger worth stepping off the journey for, and once you've done it once will you be able to get back on or will it be a reintroduction of poorer eating habits?

Balancing between instantaneous gratification (that sauce) and long term benefits is why we get overweight in the first place, if you have control then fine, have one and be done.

Alternatively you could make a healthier alternative at home, get better, leaner meat, make a healthier sauce, have a huge side salad, wholemeal bread, etc. See it as a challenge to make something better tasting and healthier.

The dirty burger! The two second rule applies you know! LOL

Big Macs are the bomb! Like @TavistockToad said, make it fit into your calories for the week. I do that all the time. I have been maintaining my weight for two years now.

If you've hit the goal and are in maintenance then I agree that an occasional splurge is fine. If you're a month in to a long term goal maybe it's better to stick on track and find your inner motivation.

Have that MaccyD's as your celebratory meal when you get to your target weight, you've earned it.