Apple Cider Vinegar benefits?

Options
I'm wondering if there are any testimonies out there as to the actual results of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar?
I realize a lot of people have opinions about the use, but I'm wondering if there are any personal experiences that can be shared.
I really doubt the claims of weight reduction but there are some other claims that I'm not so sure about, ie Lowering blood pressure, lowering blood sugar levels, antioxidant, digestive issues, etc?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    @jswigart how do you think acv would in any way do the things you mention?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wow. I think I've seen about a dozen threads on this subject so far this week. They seem to come in waves. ACV must be trending on social media right now or something.

edited: Sorry if my comment came off as rude. The link to the thread above might answer your questions. You can also put your topic into a search and there should be tons of ACV threads to look at. :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Apart from smelling like a pickle, there are zero benefits to weightloss or otherwise.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's lovely on the coleslaw I'm currently eating.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I use it in salad dressings and other recipes to great (flavor) results....but as far as health, I don't believe that I've ever seen a peer reviewed study that actually made any health claims that were upheld. I do believe that every study I've seen concluded absolutely no results.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Eww people drink straight apple cider vinegar???
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    The reason that we are seeing so many threads on ACV is because Dr. OZ did a segment on the miracles of ACV this week... again... sigh
    Oh Dr oz........
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I only drank it for a couple/few nights. One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon of honey in half a small glass of water, but i've noticed i no longer get heartburn like i used to since then. I used to get it really bad from my meds. (still on the same meds but no more heartburn.) i don't think i stuck with it long enough to notice any weight loss though. it was weird, i felt almost high after drinking it. (mildly in a good way) i should try it for longer.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is a tremendous cleaning product... and cider is really good in the fall with fresh donuts. Beyond that, I'm at a loss.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    The reason that we are seeing so many threads on ACV is because Dr. OZ did a segment on the miracles of ACV this week... again... sigh

Not to mention, my local walmart (and I'm sure others) have a freaking display of ACV and tout it as "Miracle that started over 100 years ago, drinking ACV". So, ya know, marketing...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How about a scientific/evidence-based look at ACV?: http://sciencedrivennutrition.com/apple-cider-vinegar-evidence/
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    How about a scientific/evidence-based look at ACV?: http://sciencedrivennutrition.com/apple-cider-vinegar-evidence/

Having looked at the actual human study and the numbers reported in the study (here's a link)

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1271/bbb.90231

the numbers just don't add up. These were supposedly obese (by Japanese standards) people who reported an average weekly consumption of around 8,000 calories a week... sounds like a lot, but that's less than 1200 calories a day, so unless all of the test subjects were very tiny little couch potatoes, the numbers and results from the study are absolutely meaningless.

ETA: The Japanese standard for obesity is a BMI between 25 and 30 (the American standard is a BMI > 30), but even at that, less than 1200 calories a day is ridiculous.
  • ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    First, I am well aware of the research and studies so far.You did ask so... Aside from it being a delicious addition to many recipes, I do use it once in a while. My Grandmother always said a tablespoon or two in a glass of cold water would help stop charlie horses. I am well aware that any benefit is most likely psychological, but if that little kid belief that Grandmother said so it must so stops those damn things I will take it. I don't care if it works biologically or is a crutch to help my brain overcome my body. I have a tendency towards dehydration, medical reasons, and get charlie horses far too often in weird spots that can't be walked off.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fermented foods are good for the gut and vinegar is a fermented food. There is limited evidence that apple cider vinegar can lower blood sugar and insulin levels in people with type 2 diabetes.

But it is also very acidic so it can damage teeth or stomach lining. If you have any problems with reflux I'd talk to your doctor about it.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have a friend with IBS-C, I also have it, and the struggle is real, but she drinks like 1-2oz of it mixed with water and honey every night, and she says its helped her a lot. I on the other hand eat yogurt daily with probiotics (ones with the seal of live active cultures) and that has helped me with mine, and way better for you than ACV.

ETA- those before and after photos that ACV uses are stolen. I have a friend (you can find her in instagram under "losinggravity") and she lost like 60lbs from primarily healthy diet, then started exercising after she lost the weight, never once did she drink ACV, but they have stolen many of her before and after photos claiming that she made no changes to her diet other than adding ACV, which obviously was a complete lie.