MFP calorie calculation

Options
When I joined MFP I was asked for my current weight, height, how active I was and how many pounds per week I wanted to lose all of which I answered.
It calculated my calorie deficit at 1200 in order to lose 1 lb per week.
I weight train 3 times (at least) and do 2 cardo workouts per week and I'm being told my starting calories of 1200 are far too low.
I have gone on the internet and manually worked out my TDEE in order to calculate my calorie deficit and I get way higher results.
What should I believe and follow and How come MFP are is inaccurate?

Deb

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your calories without workouts and you're supposed to eat part of them additionally. Most online calculators take workouts into account.

If MFP gives you 1200 then 1lb per week is probably a too high aim. 1200 is the absolut minimum you'll get as below would be unhealthy. Thus try 0.5 and see what you get.

Btw, what's your current size and weight?
  • DeborahD1971
    DeborahD1971 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5”4 and weight 155lb with muscle mass. I have about 10lb to lose
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't "inaccurate", it just doesn't tell you that your goal of 1 pound per week isn't realistic, and floors at 1200. This is also why you're told 1200 is too low.
  • DeborahD1971
    Options
    So I should actually eat my additional calories earned through exercise, right?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 5”4 and weight 155lb with muscle mass. I have about 10lb to lose

set MFP to lose 0.5lbs, eat back your exercise cals
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I've reset my MFP to lose 0.5lb per week and it has recalculated my calorie deficit at 1400.
    I'll eat back my exercise cals (sticking to 1400 on non exercise days) and see how that goes.
    I may not be hungry now! :wink:

I'm 5ft5 and 20lbs lighter than you and would gnaw my arm off on 1400 cals!

very few people are truly sedentary (less than 5000 steps per day)
  • DeborahD1971
    Options
    Hi TavistockToad.
    Honesty, this is doing my nut now.
    I'm sure if I ate more calories than 1400 I would gain weight.
    My average steps (fitbit) is 15,000 per day. I weight train three times, do one spin and one Body attack class per week. Rest days are usually Sat & Sun.
    MFP has allocated me 1400 but I will eat all calories earned through exercise and see if that works.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Hi TavistockToad.
    Honesty, this is doing my nut now.
    I'm sure if I ate more calories than 1400 I would gain weight.
    My average steps (fitbit) is 15,000 per day. I weight train three times, do one spin and one Body attack class per week. Rest days are usually Sat & Sun.
    MFP has allocated me 1400 but I will eat all calories earned through exercise and see if that works.

why are you sure you would gain weight on more than 1400 cals?

if you get 15000 steps, have you set MFP to at least light active?
  • DeborahD1971
    Options
    I don't know really. It just seems like a lot of food.
    I eat a lot of vegetables, prawns, chicken, quark and eggs which are all generally low calorie foods and I try to keep my fats and carbs low.
    I've stopped drinking coffee as I take milk (a lot of milk) and don't eat treats anymore.
    The more I talk about it the more it looks like a punishment! ha
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I don't know really. It just seems like a lot of food.
    I eat a lot of vegetables, prawns, chicken, quark and eggs which are all generally low calorie foods and I try to keep my fats and carbs low.
    I've stopped drinking coffee as I take milk (a lot of milk) and don't eat treats anymore.
    The more I talk about it the more it looks like a punishment! ha

the question is, are you eating in a way that is sustainable for the rest of your life?

for me, the way i eat to lose the vanity pounds is the same as the way i eat to maintain, just slightly smaller portions, a little less peanut butter, and a few less treats so that i am in a slight deficit.
  • DeborahD1971
    Options
    Maybe I should loosen up a bit and re-*kitten* then. Thanks for you advise!
  • DeborahD1971
    Options
    Sorry. That should re-evaluate!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I wanna know what you typed to get re-kitten
  • DeborahD1971
    Options
    Yeah, that was it!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Try it with 1400. Be conservative with your workout calories as MFP tends to overestimate them. Maybe start with eating half of them back. It will take time though, considering you have very little to lose. But the good thing is: the slower you are the more muscles you preserve.
  • DeborahD1971
    Options
    I’ve been on the iifym website and calculated my TDEE.
    It came out at 1,913. (Including calories needed for my daily activities and exercise)
    They recommend that 15-20% is deducted from my TDEE to get my daily calories.
    I deducted 20% which gives me 1,531.

I’m going to try these figures and give it a go.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on the iifym website and calculated my TDEE.
    It came out at 1,913. (Including calories needed for my daily activities and exercise)
    They recommend that 15-20% is deducted from my TDEE to get my daily calories.
    I deducted 20% which gives me 1,531.

I’m going to try these figures and give it a go.

Why are you using external sites to calculate your TDEE - what does FitBit say your total calories burned is? That's a good approximation of your TDEE - mine is very accurate for me. I lost weight at the rate I wanted to and am now maintaining using FitBit Synced with MFP - are your devices synced together? What activity level have you chosen in MFP? If you average 15K steps per day, you are not sedentary - that's what I was getting during warmer months (now more like 12K) and I'm set to active.

I'm also 5'2, over 40, and lost all my weight eating b/w 1600-1900 calories, maintaining my weight at 118 with a TDEE of 2200.

You don't need to make such dramatic changes to your diet in order to be successful - there's nothing wrong with milk in your coffee, treats in moderation, etc. You don't have to only eat "healthy" foods to have a healthy diet.
    I lost weight eating pizza, wine, and oreos in moderation - and with your high activity level you have plenty of room to work those things in.