tony little's gazelle glider

I cannot find this excercise in the database so am confused as to what to log it as. do I log it as ski machine or eliptical? I have been logging it as ski machine for the past week (that's how new I am to this) but am wanting to make sure I am logging it accuratley. It does give you that ski-like gliding but can also mimic walking/running depending on how fast and hard ya go.
any suggestions??

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I had one of these 10 or 15 years ago! I was a total sucker for the infomercial.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, the calorie burn will be pretty nil. There's very little resistance to speak of and to be fair, you'd probably get much the same benefit from just randomly waving your limbs around for a while.

I'd skip the glider...go for a walk instead. If you do want to log the gazelle time, just find something with a relatively low burn rate...light/moderate walking would probably be your best analogue (maybe 200 calories an hour or so).
  • my3catz
    my3catz Posts: 6 Member
    yes I agree with the un-natural motion as to compared to walking/running. I think that is why I have been logging it as ski machine (which IS in the database) because it does mimic cross country ski-ing more than it is walking or running. It's a constant forward and back kicking of the legs. and arms. I have found many other positions and excersises to preform by googling and youtube. on the machine. right now, for me, it's alot more than I have done in the last 5 yrs. prior to that I had a very physical job which included putting on miles every day. not so much now.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    my3catz wrote: »
    yes I agree with the un-natural motion as to compared to walking/running. I think that is why I have been logging it as ski machine (which IS in the database) because it does mimic cross country ski-ing more than it is walking or running. It's a constant forward and back kicking of the legs. and arms. I have found many other positions and excersises to preform by googling and youtube. on the machine. right now, for me, it's alot more than I have done in the last 5 yrs. prior to that I had a very physical job which included putting on miles every day. not so much now.

Right - but the goal of logging isn't to capture the motion. It's to capture the calorie burn.

The burn rate for a skier or elliptical machine (which include resistance) are much higher than the burn rate for the gazelle glider, possibly on order of double or triple. Unless you modify the duration of exercise to reflect the lower calorie burn, you're likely getting too high a calorie result by using those options.

Walking would probably be the best comparison point to the gazelle in terms of calories burned over time.
  • Celiwynde
    Celiwynde Posts: 1 Member
    I can’t do much walking because of a back injury and I do have the newest Gazelle that has 6 levels on the hydraulic option. I’ve lost 20 lbs using it so it can’t be all bad 😉
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited February 2019
    Calling @estherdragonbat :)
    I know you use a glider (and have done for a couple of years) when you can’t get your walk in. Could you help with the cal burn?

Cheers, h.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Well, I use the original model. Can't be adjusted, pretty bare bones. (It was a 10-year length-of-service gift through work that I received in 2008.) I go with the calorie burn it tells me on the machine, typically about 730 for my 80-minute workout, but I eat back half my exercise calories, keeping the rest as a cushion against inaccurate logging.

I WAS using the "ski machine" values in the tracker, but I recently added "Gazelle Edge Fitness Glider" to the database.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Hi. Check out Fatburn.com.
    It has the Gazelle calories listed there. All the activities are calculated by entering your weight also. I have found it to be very accurate. I love my Gazelle.
  • hamelle2
    I'd also like to add that my Charge Fitbit accurately counts each motion as a step if you use the hand bars.
  • estherdragonbat
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    Hi. Check out Fatburn.com.
    It has the Gazelle calories listed there. All the activities are calculated by entering your weight also. I have found it to be very accurate. I love my Gazelle.

Looks like I need to sign up and pay a monthly fee for that site? Or is there facility to just pop in, check calories, and pop out?
  • hamelle2
    It's all free.
    36cm8n8nez2z.jpg
  • estherdragonbat
    Just tried. When I click "Learn More" I get:

69nl3zs9owzt.png

Then, when I click on "Free Tools" it takes me to:

w5v7w1594bjv.png

And then, when I click on "Use our latest proven member tools", it takes me to:

ns2ee9l2sv32.png

Unless I missed something, it's only free if you subscribe.

• hamelle2
    That is probably true. It is free. I have in on my homescreen. It lists tons of exercises and I like that it factors in your weight as well as exertion and time. Perhaps you could choose to unsubscribe once you have the numbers you are looking for.
    😊
  • estherdragonbat
    No thanks. I used to work in credit cards. One of the most common customer disputes were people who gave their cards for free trials, etc., and had the devil's own time unsubscribing. I'll just go with the numbers it gives me on the display; they might be less accurate than their calculations, but they've been working for me so far.
  • sbdriver2
    sbdriver2 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2019
    I just googled fatburn calorie burn and got in with no problems.

http://fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp
  • estherdragonbat
    Thanks! That worked! Looks like I'm close enough; 85 minutes at moderate rate according to this is 744; according to the display, 759.