I've hit a plateau

Options
Hi I've been on and off here for a number of years and been back on my fitness journey since october. Since October I've lost about 2.5 stone to 3 stone. But I want to lose about another 10 -15 kilos. I've seen to hit a plateau as I'm working out twice a day and haven't changed my diet ? Cardio are my double workouts. And the gym is such a demotivating distance away that I can't go. I'm burning anywhere between 1500 to 2000 calories a day and eating about 1200 to 1500 so I should be losing a pound of fat every 2 days or so. That's too slow for me. I want to lose it faster and then maintain it as my eating habits have improved immeasurably. Any ideas guys? Would I be better of to start lifting again and if so lift in the evening or morning and cardio in the opposite time ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost weight?

Why are you working out twice a day?

A pound every couple of days isn't a realistic goal. I think you might need to reassess what is realistic for you if you have only about 10-15 kilos left to lose.
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    Hi Jane,

Probably 2 weeks ago. Yeah I know but I like seeing fast results and I know once it summer the weight will drop off but I want that results now. But at the same time I know I'm not meant to be skinny so maybe I should just relax and do 2 workouts a day for 3 days a week and then on weekends just hit the weights etc
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    With 25 lbs left to go, you should be aiming to lose 1 lb per week. If you lose too fast, especially doing all that cardio, you are going to lose way more muscle than you will be happy with when you reach goal.

It is perfectly normal to not lose weight for a week or two every once and awhile.

Considering you are dramatically under-eating (assuming you are logging accurately) you are creating an enormous amount of stress on your body that is probably causing water weight and hormone swings, which can also mask or exaggerate weight loss on the scale.

My honest opinion would be to take a two week diet break eating at maintenance and lighter exercise to give your body a break. Then set your goal to 1 lb per week, eat all your calories, plus log your exercise and eat back at least some of them.

You're not in a plateau, you're just impatient :smile:. Please take care of yourself, and good luck!
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    Yeah I think your right and I've always been impatient which in turn leads me back to square one. From next week I am going to incorporate weights back into my regime and *kitten* the scales