Anyone plateu or had gain when ill?

Options
I love working out I really do and it helps me maintain deficit and make it easier to stick to when I have exercise calories.
Saying that I haven't worked out in a week and a half.

I 've started getting ill and feeling lethargic then I thought I'll force myself to do a run and stronglifts yesterday and I 've spent all night up with chesty cough and feeling horrid .

In this nearly 2 weeks it's showing I ve put on 3lbs .I carried on counting most days ,couple of days eating to maintenance. I am now petrified I am gaining because I haven't been maintaining larger deficit.

Is there any chance your weight can stall or shoot up when sick or am I just gaining it all back?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I've been sick and finding it difficult to maintain a deficit without exercise calories.

I've lost weight since the last time I weighed myself, but that was close to ovulation so I may have been retaining water.

The scale's going to fluctuate - most likely you are just retaining water, maybe from higher sodium foods, maybe from stress. Give it a few more weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yes, you retain a water when ill. Of course you do, you're healing. Don't worry about it, and don't force yourself to work out. Your body is currently focused on trying to fight a virus, which is difficult and exhausting. It's saving your life. Don't stress it further. Rest and drink fluids.

Edit: I'm also ill at the moment and finding it hard to stick to a deficit without exercise calories. It is what it is. Get well soon.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How much have you list GeForce this illness? Unless it's only a few lbs, you're not going to gain it all back in a couple weeks. Get well, then focus on weight loss again,
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I gained after a stomach virus. I think it was water weight though. A few days of drinking plenty of water and I was back down.
  • ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was just hit by a stomach virus, made absolutely no effort to eat within my deficit, and was just trying to stave off dehydration (and failed). I lost 6 pounds in the first night of illness and since I am starting to rehydrate I am eating over my target calories, and might, just might, gently dip a toe into some yoga tomorrow or the day after. I fully expect to gain back what I lost and even a couple of extra pounds while my body restabilizes. Illness and injury often cause water retention. Concentrate on being healthy. Be as active as your body is comfortable being, eat what you need to give your body the nutrients it needs to heal, hydrate, and rest. Any weight you gain while you recover will come off fairly easily as long as you don't start eating way above maintenance.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How much have you list GeForce this illness? Unless it's only a few lbs, you're not going to gain it all back in a couple weeks. Get well, then focus on weight loss again,

I 've lost 5.5 lb in January since I 've restarted counting . Then it was TOTM week and I thought staying the same is fine and then nearly 2 weeks of being ill and saw a gain couple of days ago.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying.