How many calories in a unit of prepared jasmine rice?

Options
There is a huge range of calories on MFP and even when I looked online for prepared jasmine rice. Any suggestions? I don't have the bag for my rice anymore and I don't remember the brand.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with "unit" as a unit of measurement. Do you have a weight available?
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with "unit" as a unit of measurement. Do you have a weight available?

I just mean any unit of measurement works - ounce, gram, cup, etc - I'd prefer gram but I'm not picky. I do have a scale.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    search USDA-Jasmine Rice
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i get confused on the cooked weight vs raw weight. My husband cooks it before i get home from work and usually fails to measure it dry.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    my bag says 180 calories per 1/4 cup or 50g (dry)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Just look up the brand of rice you use online. I use Carolina jasmine rice and it's 160 calories a serving.

ETA...Just realized that you don't know the brand. Figure about 160-180 for a cup cooked. Average it out, use the higher count. Whatever makes you comfortable. Do you weigh if measure it before you cook it?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just look up the brand of rice you use online. I use Carolina jasmine rice and it's 160 calories a serving.

ETA...Just realized that you don't know the brand. Figure about 160-180 for a cup cooked. Average it out, use the higher count. Whatever makes you comfortable. Do you weigh if measure it before you cook it?

A 'cup' cooked can be all over the place calorie-wise depending on how much liquid is in your rice though.

You're better off weighing it dry (which is a pain, but oh well).
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I would log the 160 and move on. Just get as close as possible.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

A 'cup' cooked can be all over the place calorie-wise depending on how much liquid is in your rice though.

You're right! I don't make rice often and I just completely forgot about weighing it dry. I chucked enough dry rice in the rice cooker to feed the whole family and then when I went to log it afterwards I found entries ranging from 100-300 for similar portion sizes. It probably varies a lot depending on how wet the rice is. Ah well, I'll plan better next time.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you are doing enough for 4 weigh it before cooking log your portion then weigh after cooking divide by 4 and portion it out
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    If you are doing enough for 4 weigh it before cooking log your portion then weigh after cooking divide by 4 and portion it out

I mistakenly made enough rice to feed a small army. :# And it wasn't even great. It's a fail and move on meal.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My partner always puts weight on while I'm losing as I dish mine and kids up then give him what's left
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I do weight it dry and weigh all my food precooked and cooked. I was under the impression hers was already cooked for whatever reason, maybe because the bag was thrown out, that's why I said that. Don't go all MFP crazy on me. I was just trying to help her under the given circumstances.