So mad at myself

Options
So, this morning was my weekly weigh in. I’m down 0.4 lbs and have lost 4 lbs, half of what I want to lose. Yeah! I proceeded to celebrate by eating like total crap. We had a ton of bad stuff at the office and I ate it all. It would be impossible to log all that stuff, and I don’t even want to know.

Why did I do that??? Ugh. Total lapse in willpower. I worked out tonight but still. I can’t believe I worked hard and then did something so stupid.

I know tomorrow is another day, but still. Ugh ugh ugh.

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Learn from it. Figure out why you didnt stop yourself and understand what happened so that NEXT TIME, you are prepared and can have the treats but within your goals. Even if that means going for a break while everyone else eats so that you come back to empty boxes/plates. Part of weight loss is learning how to deal with situations like this.

Consistency and patience are your weapons for weight loss. Dont let one day end your road. get back to your routine and goals, learn from the mistakes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Kemosabe, you are the Lone Ranger. Not.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is get back on track and forget about it. One bad day won't ruin all of your hard work. Maybe hold off weighing yourself until all of that food works its way out of your system ;)
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    We make mistakes and we have set backs. I think this is just part of learning how to eat for life. Remember that we are losing weight because of a period of overeating REGULARLY, daily. While we are mostly eating in a deficit, even if we overeat now and then it is still an improvement from our eating patterns when we were getting fat!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Learn from it. Remember how you're feeling now next time you want to go off the rails! Tomorrow is a fresh start and you can totally do it! We've all had those bumps in the road. Healthy habits are a lifestyle change. If this is some thing that you want to do for the rest of your life, expect that you will have a bad day here and there. We are only human!
  • 14apfigley641
    14apfigley641 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is why I stopped weighing myself. I go by how my clothes fit and how I feel. I have no idea how much weight I'm losing a week but I know that by making my healthier food choices and working out that it's better then before. Once my clothes start getting too big I'll weigh myself but until then I'm afraid I'll get too discouraged by the weight on the scale.
  • brimom19
    brimom19 Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Let it go, move on. Don't dwell on your failure of yesterday.... focus on making the next day better. Don't use this as a reason to just completely fall of the horse.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It happens.

I really, strongly recommend logging it. Even if you can't remember exactly what you ate, make your best guess.

Really seeing the consequences of your actions in hard numbers will make much more difference to your future behaviour than melodramatically punishing and condemning yourself. That will only lead to binging-type behaviour.

You don't need punishment, you need to stand up, put your hand up and face the numbers. Then forgive yourself and carry on.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why you did it? Maybe you work too hard and rely on willpower? If you deny yourself pleasure from food, it's easy to think about weightloss as something that needs a reward, and when you've deemed tasty, easy to eat foods, bad and off-limit, and now find yourself surrounded by unlimited amounts, free of charge, free to eat, I can't really imagine another outcome.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Have you been restricting your calorie intake too much so when you saw your loss you felt you could reward yourself? if that's the case then you need to rethink your approach, maybe aim for less loss per week so you are not as restricted?

Think of this as a learning curve, dust yourself off and get back on track and this wont impact your progress.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    smnovosad1 wrote: »
    Hey, I like the make myself pay approach. I think I’m going to do it! That should make me think twice next time!

Thanks all for the ideas. I don’t want this to happen again!

Why would you pick the worst advice on the thread to get excited about? Of course it won't make you think twice next time. All it will do is prompt you to "punish" your failure even worse next time because at least the crime will be worth the punishment.

The only thing that's off here is your expectations. Then because you failed to meet them now you're going to punish yourself for it?

That's messed up...

Beating yourself up over what you eat, is part of eating disorders. It can initiate an eating disorder and keep it going. This does nothing for one's self esteem in the end. Best to just learn from the choices you make and resolve to learn from your mistakes.