Options
BrianJohnson2015
BrianJohnson2015 Posts: 68 Member
Hey

Replies

• BrianJohnson2015
    Options
    Tried to edit post. Basically looking for exercises to increase forearm and wrist size. Everything online seems to contradict each other. You are supposed to be able to gain bone density and muscle until mid 30s which would imply you could increase wrist size with exercise. Besides forearm curls and grip exercises what else can be done. Are you screwed with small bone structure or little things like using dumbbells instead of barbells for stabilizing muscle strength increases can help??
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Grab some heavy shít and walk around with it. Don’t be a wierdo and do forearm curls. Just farmers walks; add em in. Get huge OooooOOr alternatively become a farmer and do farmers life’s.
  • BrianJohnson2015
    Options
    Haha it is weird! Thanks
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Increasing grip strength. Heavy deadlifts, farmer's carries, dead hangs, plate pinches.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Wrist curls, wrist rotations, reverse wrist rotations

I have done all of these at some point in time. I have pretty weak wrists. You can do curls with either DB or BB.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Typically half your body weight in each hand and do like 20 meters stretches for like 8 rounds. About a minute in between. Gold old fashion weighed pulls good too. Deadlifting heavy *kitten* weight also good. But the walks you can do conditioning at the end of a workout.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Turkish Getups/Kettlebell Swings in addition to the above great grip exercises. My forearms went seriously crazy when I was doing Pavel's routine.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Oh, someone also told me bottom up kettlebell walks in a manner similar to the farmer's carry heytimsla described.
  • BrianJohnson2015
    Options
    Awesome I’ll definitely look up the pavel workout. What other muscle groups do you usually hit when doing those exercise??
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Awesome I’ll definitely look up the pavel workout. What other muscle groups do you usually hit when doing those exercise??

It's a whole body GPP program. The original was RKC(Russian KettleBell Challenge) It was revised a few years later into EtK(Enter the Kettlebell) A few years back he had a falling out with Dragon Door over creative differences during the writing/publishing of S&S(Simple and sinister)

They're all approximately the same basic program, but the devil is in the details

5 TGU
    100(10x10) KBell swings

Plus a warmup and flexibility/mobility drills.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cross between a toy and piece of exercise equipment called a PowerBall. It's a gyroscope that can generate up to 50lbs of torque if you get it going fast enough. I can't ever get it out of the lowest speed and it still shreds my forearms and grip within a few minutes. I'm hoping it will help with grip/forearm endurance and strength for climbing. Might be worth grabbing one. It's a fun toy regardless.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Your wrist size is genetic and based on your bone structure. You can't change it.

Forearms can be improved through exercises like barbell curls, wrist roller, wrist curls, etc.

Small wrists are a benefit in physique development as they make your muscles stand out more.

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Your wrist size is genetic and based on your bone structure. You can't change it.

Forearms can be improved through exercises like barbell curls, wrist roller, wrist curls, etc.

Small wrists are a benefit in physique development as they make your muscles stand out more.

I agree with this....There's no exercises in the world that will change the size of your wrists. Forearms is a different matter, but wrists will remain the same no matter what. Genetics unfortunately, I have the same issue.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I believe this is true. Also, wrist size (circumference) is an indication of your frame size. People with smaller frame size have a lower 'normal' weight for height than people with large bone (frame) size.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    To increase forearm size (as opposed to increasing hand strength) you need to pump up the forearms.

The best forearm pumping exercise for me has been the wrist roller. You can make your own quite easily.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    To increase forearm size (as opposed to increasing hand strength) you need to pump up the forearms.

The best forearm pumping exercise for me has been the wrist roller. You can make your own quite easily.

He is talking about wrists, unfortunately not much can be done for that part.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Forearms can grow from rowing, I was watching mine pump today!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Tried to edit post. Basically looking for exercises to increase forearm and wrist size. Everything online seems to contradict each other. You are supposed to be able to gain bone density and muscle until mid 30s which would imply you could increase wrist size with exercise. Besides forearm curls and grip exercises what else can be done. Are you screwed with small bone structure or little things like using dumbbells instead of barbells for stabilizing muscle strength increases can help??

I can tell you that lots of free weights without using wraps or gloves will help build your forearm muscles which will help make your wrist and arms bigger. Also I have a device to help increase grip strength, you can use that too. You can also use equipment to make your grip wider around the bar to help build that grip strength, thereby potentially increasing overall arm size?