Michael Mosley's 5:2 intermittent diet fasting

Options
What are people's thoughts on the new 5:2 bikini diet ? For two days a week you are only allowed to eat 500 calories and then for the rest you eat what you like and you lose half a kilo a week :) of course you still have to exercise and such , my mum is doing it atm and its working she's lost 2 kilos in 3 weeks !!! It also lowers cholestrol :) Thoughts ?

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    What are people's thoughts on the new 5:2 bikini diet ? For two days a week you are only allowed to eat 500 calories and then for the rest you eat what you like and you lose half a kilo a week :) of course you still have to exercise and such , my mum is doing it atm and its working she's lost 2 kilos in 3 weeks !!! It also lowers cholestrol :) Thoughts ?

I disagree with it and I personally believe Intermittent Fasting (16/8) is a much more sensible approach.

A human does not need to limit themselves to 500 calories a day to lose weight, the reason it is working is simply because it's creating a caloric deficit for your mother, not because of anything else. She can achieve the same by just not eating over her caloric needs.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Fasting does not mean that you will lose weight. It works by lowering your overall weekly calories, but if you overeat on your 5 days then you will not lose weight.
  • torijd
    torijd Posts: 23
    Options
    Fasting does not mean that you will lose weight. It works by lowering your overall weekly calories, but if you overeat on your 5 days then you will not lose weight.
    Agreed you must still eat your daily intake on the other days and not go over :)
  • rhcfam
    rhcfam Posts: 7
    Options
    Can't speak for anyone but me...I've been on it since 1st week in April and have lost 34 lbs. Staying with 500 cals on fasting days and between 1200-1350 on the others. Working out at least 5 days a week. Most every day is in deficit since I usually leave cals on the table after workouts. BC