Oats with whey after workout

Options
So I had a 30 minute dumbbell only back way trout today I as a post workout snack I made 1/2 cup old fashion Quaker Oats to one cup water and then 1 scoop gold standard whey protein. Is that ok or should I have skipped whey all together?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is something that is personal unless you are an athlete trying to gain a tiny advantage over competition. If you liked the whey and oatmeal by all means keep doing it. If you didn't then don't. You don't need to time nutrients around your workout unless you personally feel it helps either performance or recovery.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I was having oats & protein powder before gym my trainer recommend oats without protein before gym then protein after gym but do whatever works for you :)
  • LuckilyLuciano
    LuckilyLuciano Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Although protein is needed to heal and grow, I also find it keeps me fuller while cutting carbs. I can eat a steak, three chiken breasts and barely get to half the protien intake I need. So whey gets sprinkled into everything. Especially to avoid eating too much fat.

I often do overnight oats with raw almonds, raisins, whey, stevia and almond milk for breakfast.

I made those youtube high protien peanut butter cups, and they came out amazing. Daughter ate some as ifmthey were candy. And they ended up matching my macro percentages perfectly. Which was amazing since I was eating chocolate and peanut butter! I found it easier to split the peanut butter into two jars and melt them a bit in boiling water before mixing in the stevia, whey and chia seeds. Then used the same water as a bath to melt the dark chocolate with a little coconut oil. Follow the measurements from online from youtube. Definately not something I will make every week, but every few months for sure.

I was getting bad cramps from trying to down too much whey at once, 3+ scopes in an almond milk shake. So I started mixing in fiber sources like mixed frozen berries (low cal). It makes for a bigger shake that takes longer to consume, but I'll take that over an hour of cramps. The seed particles the vitamix doesn't get are swallowed vs. chewed. Makes it more pleasant since those seeds are tough.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I love whey powder .. no need to skip it ... its powdered protein that turns in to milkshakes, flavours oats .. its almost a perfect food source, other than I can never make it crunchy

hmmm, chocolate, salted caramel, toffee ... ahhhh, I add it to most things ... no need to skip it ... embrace your love for it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    So I had a 30 minute dumbbell only back way trout today I as a post workout snack I made 1/2 cup old fashion Quaker Oats to one cup water and then 1 scoop gold standard whey protein. Is that ok or should I have skipped whey all together?

That's fine. Also works well as a preworkout per sae.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of dumbbell work wouldn't get me enough calories for oats and protein powder so I'd skip it altogether and just save the calories for other food. But it doesn't matter really, do what you enjoy, meets your calorie and macro goals and fits your schedule.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I always have whey protein after my workouts, as soon as i get home. I blend a scoop with unsweetened cashew milk and a frozen banana. It's perfect. When I eat oats, I have them for breakfast with cinnamon and stevia and cashew milk. Honestly though, for weight loss, you can eat whatever you want as long as it fits within your calories for the day/week ( not totally sure what your goal is).