Help with logging canned black beans

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
I have a recipe which uses a can of black beans but not the juice. A serving size is supposed 130 grams for .5 a cup with 3+ servings (I forget exactly how much ).

When I drained and rinsed the juice the remaining black beans weighs 250 grams. Not even a cup. I know / think I know the juice is being counted in this weight so how do I log just the beans with no juice in my recipe?

I searched and most measurements for black beans is by volumn such as 1 cup.
I did find one entry that used weight "Black beans, canned" and entered it into my recipe as 8.82 oz which comes up as 212 calories so I am thinking this isn't right either.

I probably should have measured it as volumn but it's too late for that. I also get that weight can vary with foods like beans, rice etc due to water content. I can keep in mind to measure by volumn but is there a good option for tonight to try and be somewhat accurate?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When I log canned beans I look for an entry that uses the "beans, [type], canned, drained solids" syntax and then log by weight.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I log canned beans I look for an entry that uses the "beans, [type], canned, drained solids" syntax and then log by weight.

Well that's what I did as well but not sure that's correct. It's probably my only option right now.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    250 g of cooked or canned black beans (drained weight) should be in the neighborhood of 330 kcals.

I don't obsess about tracking sodium, so I generally use an entry in the form

Beans, [type], mature seeds, cooked, boiled, [without or with, depending on whether I cooked them myself or am using canned] salt

Compare the entry you find to the USDA database. For example, black beans without salt