Night time snack alternatives

Replies

• mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Obviously do Viking sword moves while watching! Jk brushing your teeth works for me.
  • rupshaw
    rupshaw Posts: 248 Member
    There are some awesome popcorn mini chips that are lightly cinnamon/sugar. There are low cal and really hit the spot for a late Nate sweet fix. I get a large bag at Sams and since it doesn’t take many and they have a great crunch, I feel that it takes care of my craving with killing my Cals.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Fruit sorbert usually has 60-80kcals/125ml
  • wazette2
    wazette2 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2018
    Lots of good ideas...I love the choboi yogurts with mix ins, so good!!! But what I do, especially if I can feel it coming on...is I make a cup of coffee with my fav cream or whatever. I also do hot tea sweetened also. The other day I made an iced coffee and my cravings vanished =). At times you are going to Want that chocolate..chips..etc. and then I allow myself BUT moderation and eating it slowly and just truly enjoying it is key. You don't want to constantly feel deprived otherwise you won't stick to a healthy lifestyle. Last night I definitely didn't deprive myself...food log is UGLY...but that was last night today is a NEW DAY. Don't let a bit of a cheat turn into a downward cycle. None of us are perfect..at all.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    wazette2 wrote: »
    Lots of good ideas...I love the choboi yogurts with mix ins, so good!!! But what I do, especially if I can feel it coming on...is I make a cup of coffee with my fav cream or whatever. I also do hot tea sweetened also. The other day I made an iced coffee and my cravings vanished =). At times you are going to Want that chocolate..chips..etc. and then I allow myself BUT moderation and eating it slowly and just truly enjoying it is key. You don't want to constantly feel deprived otherwise you won't stick to a healthy lifestyle. Last night I definitely didn't deprive myself...food log is UGLY...but that was last night today is a NEW DAY. Don't let a bit of a cheat turn into a downward cycle. None of us are perfect..at all.

This is amazing....thank you!
    Chobani Flip is sooo good, my favourite is the keylime one... but I have to cross the border to get Chobani. Not in Canada, yet. :(
  • emelyromero2123
    emelyromero2123 Posts: 3 Member
    I get this anytime I start a diet. I will CRAVE something crunchy and salty! I just stuff carrots in my face and try to hold out. Keeping busy helps a lot, it mostly happens during the workday so I just focus on cleaning something or helping a coworker somehow
  • BradyL79
    BradyL79 Posts: 1 Member
    I have the same problem so I try and sip tea or water.
  • bradandjenny7
    bradandjenny7 Posts: 28 Member
    Hey one of my new go to snacks is fresh fruit and yoghurt, really filling and keeps your hands busy then after that try doing some weights or something to keep your hands busy still. That’s my problem, I just feel like I need to eat cause I’m sitting on the cloudy doing nothing...
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2018
    sugar free jello with a little whipped cream
    yogurt with sliced almonds and whipped cream
    teeny bowl cereal
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    You're dealing with a trigger and habit. The trigger is either binge watching or specifically Vikings. The simplest way is to avoid the trigger and the binge problem won't manifest. If you can't binge watch, a 20 minute distraction is an alternative. Pause the playback, hit the treadmill, stairs, walk the dog, something for 20 minutes, get a big glass of ice water and resume playback. What not to do is sitting watching thinking about craving for 20 minutes.

Eating something healthy may help the immediate need, but for long term you have to kick the habit.

One chromoium picolate mineral pill daily kills my sweet tooth, try it.

• dtelsah
    dtelsah Posts: 584 Member
    Sugar free jello cups. Pre portioned, 5 calories each and not much else. They are my go-to.
  • phobrien81
    phobrien81 Posts: 29 Member
    I usually do peaches with a little sugar sprinkled if you have the Calories to spare. I dont usually recommended pure sugar at night but I know what you mean. Sometimes you just want it. Just don't do it every night and you will be fine. Also a few gummie bears hits the spot too! Good luck and feel free to say hi anytime!
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Skinny Cow does a chocolate-pretzel-caramel ice cream thing that is to die for and only 160 calories. Otherwise I second going to bed earlier. For me, the more tired I am the less self control I have.
  • ZarathN
    ZarathN Posts: 1 Member
    I agree with the HaloTop thing. Better yet, you can try eating grapefruit or pomegranate; both take forever to eat.

I have a massive sweet tooth too (can literally eat leftover birthday cake 3 meals a day :persevere: ). However, whenever I see sweets I remind myself how much real food (fruit/rice/etc.) I could have eaten instead!

The best thing to do is to just empty your house of sweets. However, if you really want cookies, try buying thin mints or meringue cookies. Girl Scout cookies aren't always in season so I feel like I have to ration them, and the meringue cookies (I get mine from Trader Joe's) are pretty horrible (so I really can't eat that many). Both are under 40 or less calories per cookie.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I'm a sweets girl too but I think someone may have mentioned carbs earlier, so that might be why this does the trick:

I break up and roast a whole head of cauliflower, add S&P, paprika, some Italian herbs and parm cheese and just eat it like pop corn. It gives me something to do with my hands (breaking it up into pieces) and it's VERY low cal for how much volume you get.
  • Lizardybits
    Lizardybits Posts: 10 Member
    fruit, especially something with some crunch like an apple. But if you're budgeting for this indulgence, I don't see anything wrong with having an indulgence.
  • telisew94
    telisew94 Posts: 12 Member
    I do the triple zero vanilla yogurt and add 6-8 semi-sweet chocolate chips and some toasted coconut! So yummy, and it helps with that sweet craving :smile:
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Just finished watching an episode of Vikings. I like 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder mixed with 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil with just a little water. Mix in either organic all natural peanut butter or the powder and put in the freezer for 20 min. The taste is close to a Reese’s peanut butter cup. Well not exactly but it’s a great alternative with lots of protein and healthy fats.
  • One serving of casein protein is usually my go-to for this situation. Since it is a slow digesting protein, it has the ability to replenish you overnight as well as put a stop to midnight cravings.
  • brandyjt4
    brandyjt4 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2018
    Some comments suggested drinking diet soda.
    Drinking a diet soda will not curb your sweet tooth.

"Lastly, artificial sweeteners, precisely because they are sweet, encourage sugar craving and sugar dependence. Repeated exposure trains flavor preference [54]"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

I like the keep-your-hands-busy idea. Or the tooth brushing one, although I just brushed my teeth and then had some pistachios.