StrongLifts 5x5 and adding core to the mix

Options
I had an OMG moment when I looked in the mirror and started to see some definition in my stomach this morning and was wondering if I could mix in some core exercises to my existing SL 5x5 routine, which I'm two weeks into.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sure. There is a similar program called Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. It's basically Strong lifts with accessory work and cable crunches are one of the accessory exercises.
  • brtgl
    brtgl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely check that out. Thanks. While doing SL 5x5, it almost feels a little too slow, but I know I need to be patient and that it eventually gets more strenuous. I REALLY like the SL 5x5 app, which makes it easy to go through each workout. Do you know if Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 has something similar?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't think it does. I believe I used bodyspace to track when I did it (was a couple years ago when I had access to a gym).
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you're only 2 weeks in, you can give it more time. The compound lifts work your core anyway so you will gain definition as you go along without doing anything extra. However, if you're only doing 3-4 sessions a week, that does leave you some 'rest' days to do a bit of extra core work.

Just don't overdo it to the point your lifts suffer :-)

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The Strong Lifts 5x5 program, on my phone, provides for an optional timed plank exercise.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Leading cause of failure is being in too big a hurry and burning out.

That being said. 3-5 minutes of plank variations(20-30 seconds each set of 5-10 sets)daily on waking will certainly benefit your core development. But it's not necessary.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Tangentially related...

It is possible to do most of major compound lifts with less than ideal core activation/benefit. If you want to train your core more, make sure you are engaging those muscles correctly when doing your 5x5 work. It may sound stoopid, but it's not always as obvious as you think.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I will be adding some Core TRX exercises to my SL 5X5 days.
  • brtgl
    Options
    Interesting comparison of StrongLifts 5x5 versus Ice Cream Fitness: https://medium.com/@rahrang/reflections-on-summer-2015-stronglifts-5x5-and-ice-cream-fitness-8b4f3d45f41b
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    brtgl wrote: »

If you look at the miniscule weights this guy was lifting, and the fact he only gave SL one week...it's hard to consider this a legit comparison. If you get through a full 12 weeks of SL as a beginner, you can't help but make substantial gains.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I add in planks and side planks for my core and variations thereof. That has always been enough for me, but then again... I'm not trying to grate cheese on my midsection.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Second planks on off days.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    No need to add core exercises to a 5x5 or any other compound lifting program. Doing the compound lifts already stresses and strengthens your core. Any extra "core" exercise is just a waste of time.

My experience is proof of that.

I did both Stronglifts and Starting Strength (at different points in time) and have continued to do a program of my own based on them and have NEVER done a single "core" exercise.

Nonetheless, I developed visible abs and noticeable muscular definition which are proof of the core strengthening effects of doing just compound lifts.

However, you will NOT be able to see your abs or develop noticeable muscle definition UNLESS you also lose sufficient body fat.

The amount of BF loss necessary varies w/the individual but, in my case, it was 10-12% (as measured by hydro).
  • brtgl
    Options
    Thanks for all the good input. I've decided to push forward with SL 5x5 for now. One concern I have are the exercises' impact on my lower back, such as the deadlift. About six months ago, I pulled a muscle there and could hardly move at times without an agonizing and sharp pain. Getting out of bed for a 2-3 week period was a lengthy process.

Once I was on the couch and literally could not get up for half an hour. Wifey gave me Advil and sat there with me until I got brave enough to struggle through the process of getting on my feet again, which included sliding my knees to the floor and so forth.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    No need to add core exercises to a 5x5 or any other compound lifting program. Doing the compound lifts already stresses and strengthens your core. Any extra "core" exercise is just a waste of time.

My experience is proof of that.

I did both Stronglifts and Starting Strength (at different points in time) and have continued to do a program of my own based on them and have NEVER done a single "core" exercise.

Nonetheless, I developed visible abs and noticeable muscular definition which are proof of the core strengthening effects of doing just compound lifts.

However, you will NOT be able to see your abs or develop noticeable muscle definition UNLESS you also lose sufficient body fat.

The amount of BF loss necessary varies w/the individual but, in my case, it was 10-12% (as measured by hydro).

Dependant on your goals and level of lifting. I understand your point for this case of a rank novice, but it shouldn't blanket everyone who does compound programming as a waste of time.

Why I agree a compound lifting program such as SS or SL will give sufficient core work initially from a novice phase into intermediate. At some point a lifter who progresses into a very late intermediate or advanced with a strength goal might need more ab/core work as accessory lift depending on their adaptation and programming.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    brtgl wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good input. I've decided to push forward with SL 5x5 for now. One concern I have are the exercises' impact on my lower back, such as the deadlift. About six months ago, I pulled a muscle there and could hardly move at times without an agonizing and sharp pain. Getting out of bed for a 2-3 week period was a lengthy process.

Once I was on the couch and literally could not get up for half an hour. Wifey gave me Advil and sat there with me until I got brave enough to struggle through the process of getting on my feet again, which included sliding my knees to the floor and so forth.

I would pay more attention to your form. I'd suggest buying Starring Strength 3rd edition book and read it. It gIves all the details one needs to lift properly.

I've rarely heard anybody injuring themselves when the barbell was balanced over midfoot the entire lift.

Deadlifts is a great strengthening lift for the back and when programmed & performed correctly, there is very little to be concerned about.

I have had problems getting out of bed every day the past 15 years or so, yet deadlifts only help my situation/health. I continued to deadlift when I seperated my intercostal rib muscles when squatting a couple weeks before a powerlifting meet and had no problems during or after the meet. I attribute most of the rehab to deadlifting heavy with good form.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't do much direct core work given that I hit it pretty good with compound movements...however, I typically do 3-5 sets of an anti-extension movement at the end of one workout and anti-flexion movement at the end of the other...so like an ab roller or walk-outs on one workout and planks on the other...
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you pay the $10 for the SL app versus using the free version, you can customize your workouts. There's an option for timed plank on workout A, and I add my own as well (reverse incline crunches, bicycle abs, crunches, etc).

I love the app. It makes working out more simplified and hits all the major stuff. I do always add core, as well as push ups and pull ups to all the workouts as well.
  • brtgl
    Options
    sarahjen92 wrote: »
    If you pay the $10 for the SL app versus using the free version, you can customize your workouts. There's an option for timed plank on workout A, and I add my own as well (reverse incline crunches, bicycle abs, crunches, etc).

I love the app. It makes working out more simplified and hits all the major stuff. I do always add core, as well as push ups and pull ups to all the workouts as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just might do that. Do people do SL 5x5 as a beginner type workout or do they do it indefinitely? I'm a few weeks into it and can already feel it getting more challenging.