Taken Phentermine? No critics, please. Looking for experiences of those who have taken it

Options
123457»

Replies

• JanesWorld1985
    JanesWorld1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Please do not take them. They made me feel jittery, I would sweat constantly, and would trigger me to want to smoke cigarettes.
    I’m a recovering addict so those felt like something I could easily become addicted to.
  • Cosborne02
    Cosborne02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started taking Phentermine - 37.5 dosage, and have lost 17 lbs since 9/23/2018. I only take half a pill per day. I do not exercise currently, but plan on starting to walk 30 minutes per day beginning this week (been a couch potato for too long). I try keeping my calories around 1,500 a day and I'm not depriving any foods I like, just eating in moderation. I have hypertension, but have been having excellent BP readings since starting this weight loss journey. Hopefully, I can stop my BP medication soon. 😊
  • kwing122384
    kwing122384 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed this on 11.09.18 and began taking them on the 10th. I recently lost my father, and my emotional eating was out of control.

So I'm beginning my second week. I find them extremely helpful- my Dr. told me i could take 15mg in the AM and 15mg in the afternoon if i desired, but i have only been taking one 15mg pill in the morning before breakfast. I have only two side effects- dry mouth, very dry--and trouble staying asleep- but I've had trouble sleeping all my life so this is not a big change for me. In the first week i lost about 9 lbs. that is a lot - but it's mostly water weight, and I know the weight loss will slow down as i continue on. I am not jittery, i do not have heart issues, or high blood pressure- maybe because i wasn't prone to those issues to begin with. No- i do not feel "high"---in fact, the best way to describe by feelings on this medication is complete control- the emotional connection to food is broken. some foods taste less good than before- i equate that with the emotional high of binge eating being gone. now food just taste like food, and not like all the things we substitute it for.

I am also in therapy and beginning an exercise routine and I eat all of the calories allotted to me on my diet plan given to me by my Dr. For some people this medicine is a great short term tool for getting a head start.

I think its important for people to remember that just because something didn't work for them, doesn't mean its a wrong choice for someone else- just like with all medications.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I took them for 8 weeks this year. It was at the beginning of my journey, but at the same time as starting them. My Dr. also gave me a food plan to follow, broken down in calories, and carbs, fats, proteins. And stated you must log all of your food, and weigh all of your food on MFP. And for literally weeks, and months on a weekly basis she has checked in to make sure I am doing as agreed.
    To me this has been the key, change the weigh I eat, the foods, the portions, understanding when I am hungry opposed to the clock. Making better food choices. And logging everything.
    Also I will admit that my Dr. did in fact push me to become physically active. Do what you can, can you do more over time.
    I did not have any bad side effects from them. I have dropped a number of medications, had a complete physical and passed with no issues. I think the key to me, was being under close Dr. watch while taking them. Not any of this here is a prescription go find a diet and take for 12 weeks, and then call if you need a refill. I say this because I know someone who literally this is how it was prescribed for them. They saw the Dr. very infrequently while taking for close to one year. Bad all around.
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    lisa110979 wrote: »
    Hey newbie here! @kenkel4 I'm on day two and feel it wearing off mid afternoon, have you found this? I may too try the later in the morning too as I get up at 6:15 am and take it. I'm on 30mg.
    How many calories is everyone doing, I'm barely reaching 1000, but drinking a truck load of water. Normal?

Hi @Lisa110979. I took 30 mg in the morning and it definitely wore off about 2pm. My nurse recommended taking it “as soon as your feet hit the floor” so I think you’re doing it right. But afternoon is when I would have a snack and dinner. I was eating 900 max per day (this is NOT recommended). I have been off phentermine since Oct 1 and haven’t gained any of the weight back. I’m still eating 1000 calories per day.

Friend me or respond if you have more questions.