High fiber, protein,and too fats

Options
Anyone want to help a brother out on how to optimize my diet in a student budget. How do I eat a high protein breakfast etc. I love bread too much and isn't wholemeal bread still bad for you?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't bad for you, but it's often not a great choice if you are trying to get a high protein breakfast. I'm sure you could fit it in to your day, though, and could do so at breakfast if you want. What specifically is your calorie and protein goal for breakfast?
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bread isn't bad for you, but it's often not a great choice if you are trying to get a high protein breakfast. I'm sure you could fit it in to your day, though, and could do so at breakfast if you want. What specifically is your calorie and protein goal for breakfast?

Hey thanks for replying. Well ideally I wouldn't mind about 400 or so calories per meal and then 100 or so for in between snacks. I've looked some up but it's maybe about changing my mind about what a breakfast is. Like yoghurt and berries is supposed to be high protein
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    There really are not any rules. Eat whatever you like for breakfast as long as it fits into your daily calorie days.
    If you want to be creative at breakfast, eat chicken or a porkchop.
    Yogurt with berries will work too.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Student budgets are tough when you're trying to eat healthy...but you can do it.

Eggs! Some whole and some whites - great protein and not too expensive. Good for all meals! Will keep you full. (Add veggies - frozen spinach, peppers & onions - to bulk it up if you like)

I don't know where you live, but where I live in NJ, my ShopRite grocery store has their own store brand "light" bread, English muffins, hot dog and hamburger buns. All have about half the calories of regular ones, and cheaper than name brands. Allows me to have my bread fix and stay within reason, with both calories and cost.

As for veggies, fresh can be quite expensive when they add up. Try to find a good farmers' market storefront - I spend about 50%-60% of what I spend in the grocery store for my fresh fruit. Veggies too. But I find that when I'm in a rush to cook, I don't always want to deal with fresh veggie prep. Grocery store brand frozen veggies (and name brands on sale) can be a much better price than fresh, and although the texture isn't as good, the nutrition is still there. I particularly love the steamers bags. Often on sale for 99 cents a bag!

Chicken is always a cheap, healthy protein. You can buy in bulk, cook all at once and freeze in single serve portions in baggies. Defrost on low power in the microwave or in the fridge overnight.

And use your store fliers -- plan your list before you go to the store so you can stock up on the healthy stuff that's on sale.

Good luck!!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

Hey thanks for replying. Well ideally I wouldn't mind about 400 or so calories per meal and then 100 or so for in between snacks. I've looked some up but it's maybe about changing my mind about what a breakfast is. Like yoghurt and berries is supposed to be high protein

Assuming that's your photo, and that "student" means you're in your late teens or 20s, that's not enough food (unless you're having more than three meals, or you're having 8 or 10 of those 100-calorie snacks).
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Eggs, cottage cheese, other cheese, chicken and other meats are good for protein. For fiber, look for bakery products or cereals that have a decent amount of it. I buy Thomas low calorie English muffins here in the USA and toast them - 100 calories and several grams fiber. I also get low-carb high-fiber tortillas and use them for wraps, or toast them in the frying pan. You can drink reduced-fat milk, and there are protein-enhanced nut and soy milks out there, too.

Here's one of my typical breakfasts from a few days ago:

V-8 spicy, 6oz
    Reduced fat sharp cheddar grated, 1/4 cup
    Pumpkin flax Kodiak hotcake mix, 1/4 cup
    Mrs Butterworth's sugar free maple syrup, 2-3 Tb
    Morningstar veggie bacon, 2 strips
    2 eggs (omelet with cheddar and herbs sprinkled on it)

405 cals, 5g fiber, 28g protein

To keep within your student budget: Shop for store brands and at a lower-priced grocery like Aldi's.
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    Student budgets are tough when you're trying to eat healthy...but you can do it.

Eggs! Some whole and some whites - great protein and not too expensive. Good for all meals! Will keep you full. (Add veggies - frozen spinach, peppers & onions - to bulk it up if you like)

I don't know where you live, but where I live in NJ, my ShopRite grocery store has their own store brand "light" bread, English muffins, hot dog and hamburger buns. All have about half the calories of regular ones, and cheaper than name brands. Allows me to have my bread fix and stay within reason, with both calories and cost.

As for veggies, fresh can be quite expensive when they add up. Try to find a good farmers' market storefront - I spend about 50%-60% of what I spend in the grocery store for my fresh fruit. Veggies too. But I find that when I'm in a rush to cook, I don't always want to deal with fresh veggie prep. Grocery store brand frozen veggies (and name brands on sale) can be a much better price than fresh, and although the texture isn't as good, the nutrition is still there. I particularly love the steamers bags. Often on sale for 99 cents a bag!

Chicken is always a cheap, healthy protein. You can buy in bulk, cook all at once and freeze in single serve portions in baggies. Defrost on low power in the microwave or in the fridge overnight.

And use your store fliers -- plan your list before you go to the store so you can stock up on the healthy stuff that's on sale.

Good luck!!!

Thanks will note this and eat yoghurts and shrimp
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options

Assuming that's your photo, and that "student" means you're in your late teens or 20s, that's not enough food (unless you're having more than three meals, or you're having 8 or 10 of those 100-calorie snacks).

Lol yeah I'm 25. I don't get what your saying ? I'm trying to intermittent fasting and I'm eating about 1600 calories. Are you saying I'm under eating ?
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Eggs, cottage cheese, other cheese, chicken and other meats are good for protein. For fiber, look for bakery products or cereals that have a decent amount of it. I buy Thomas low calorie English muffins here in the USA and toast them - 100 calories and several grams fiber. I also get low-carb high-fiber tortillas and use them for wraps, or toast them in the frying pan. You can drink reduced-fat milk, and there are protein-enhanced nut and soy milks out there, too.

Here's one of my typical breakfasts from a few days ago:

V-8 spicy, 6oz
    Reduced fat sharp cheddar grated, 1/4 cup
    Pumpkin flax Kodiak hotcake mix, 1/4 cup
    Mrs Butterworth's sugar free maple syrup, 2-3 Tb
    Morningstar veggie bacon, 2 strips
    2 eggs (omelet with cheddar and herbs sprinkled on it)

405 cals, 5g fiber, 28g protein

To keep within your student budget: Shop for store brands and at a lower-priced grocery like Aldi's.

I like it alot of effort though. I'm a student remember haha. Cottage cheese is a shout, What does is taste like ?
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited February 2018
    Options

Lol yeah I'm 25. I don't get what your saying ? I'm trying to intermittent fasting and I'm eating about 1600 calories. Are you saying I'm under eating ?

I'm saying you're probably undereating. I realize it's only a head-shot, but you don't look obese, so unless you're way out on the low end* in the skinny tail of height distribution for a male, 1600 cals for a 25-year-old male seems unnecessarily low. What are you trying to accomplish? Losing as much muscle as possible while you're losing weight?

*ETA the bolded for clarity.
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options

I'm saying you're probably undereating. I realize it's only a head-shot, but you don't look obese, so unless you're way out on the low end* in the skinny tail of height distribution for a male, 1600 cals for a 25-year-old male seems unnecessarily low. What are you trying to accomplish? Losing as much muscle as possible while you're losing weight?

Na I'm in proportion I carry my weight well but yeah I'm probably a bout half to a stone heavier than when that pic was taking. Your the second person that's said that. Apparently I should be eating about 2200 even though mfp is recommending 1500. I'm going to eat up, so I should eat 2000 calories even though I'm sedentary ?
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited February 2018
    Options

Na I'm in proportion I carry my weight well but yeah I'm probably a bout half to a stone heavier than when that pic was taking. Your the second person that's said that. Apparently I should be eating about 2200 even though mfp is recommending 1500. I'm going to eat up, so I should eat 2000 calories even though I'm sedentary ?

If you're trying to lose a stone, you should ask MFP for a calorie goal to lose a half pound a week. Try that and see what it tells you.

Also, a lot of people think they're "sedentary" when they're really "lightly active," at least based on how MFP calculates calories. Are your classes on a campus where you walk from one building to another? Do you walk from one class to the next and then to someplace for lunch then back to classes and then back to your car, public transit, or a dorm?

ETA: I forgot to ask the most important questions. How long have you been eating around 1600 calories, and what have your results (weight loss? how much?) during that time? Results are the gold standard of whether you're doing it right, and when you're only trying to get rid of the last few pounds, you want to do it slowly for a number of reasons, the most important of which, IMO, is to maximize fat loss relative to muscle loss.
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options

If you're trying to lose a stone, you should ask MFP for a calorie goal to lose a half pound a week. Try that and see what it tells you.

Also, a lot of people think they're "sedentary" when they're really "lightly active," at least based on how MFP calculates calories. Are your classes on a campus where you walk from one building to another? Do you walk from one class to the next and then to someplace for lunch then back to classes and then back to your car, public transit, or a dorm?

ETA: I forgot to ask the most important questions. How long have you been eating around 1600 calories, and what have your results (weight loss? how much?) during that time? Results are the gold standard of whether you're doing it right, and when you're only trying to get rid of the last few pounds, you want to do it slowly for a number of reasons, the most important of which, IMO, is to maximize fat loss relative to muscle loss.

I'm trying to lose about 2 to 2.5 stone. I weight 98kg now and would mind being anywhere from 80 to 88kg so maybe 85kg. I'm probably l8ghtly active your right but this won't increase my calories thay much unless I adjust my weekly pound target ( currently set at 1lb a week). Been eating around 1600 since October when I was 116 kg. So 18kg weight loss in about 4 months and a bit. It's not the last few pounds but I want to look in the mirror and not the scales tbf