First week issues- macros

Options
Hi I just started my journey and I'm finding it very difficult to stick to my macros. Apparently I eat to much fat and not enough carbs?
What were/are the most difficult for you starting up?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When I started I was over on protein and fat all the time. I did a lot of reading and adjusted mine to something more reasonable for how I like to eat and what my goals are.
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just ignore that part and just focus on calories. I don't think I'm at that point or fitness level to really cut down on fats or sugar.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had/have the exact same problem. I have calories and carbs left over at the end of most every day, but go over a bit on protein and fat. I've been working with the nutritionist (free service) at my grocery store, who was the one to suggest I start here on mfp. She told me not to worry about that. She said that going over on protein, unless by a large amount is perfectly fine. And she said not to worry much about the fat if I'm within the calorie count... she said that because it doesn't account for good fats vs bad fats, that if I'm eating the right things, the overage is probably with good fats. (for example, I complained that I was going over every day that I had an ounce of almonds or some avocado). Hope that helps - it sure helped me to be ok with the numbers "in the red." Focus on the calories and eating healthy foods.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Macros should not be your first week issues. Log your calories. Stay in a deficit.
  • always4my2kids
    always4my2kids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It depends on the diet plan you are following. If you are doing a Ketogenic diet - low carbs and high fat. Also the macros that are set are (in my opinion) way too high. You can change your goals by going to "goals" and then clicking on the calorie amount. There should be a macro option as well. I am recalling this from the top of my head but I believe that is how you do it. I have followed a low carb/keto diet and am down 95 pounds so far. Good luck on your journey!
  • cacaozimha24
    cacaozimha24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. Suzy I've ben stressing over it so thank you, I'll relax a bit and focus on the overall. I am not following any particular diet just eating healthy, I know I'm still on a learning curve but I'm up for it. Xxx
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It depends on the diet plan you are following. If you are doing a Ketogenic diet - low carbs and high fat. Also the macros that are set are (in my opinion) way too high. You can change your goals by going to "goals" and then clicking on the calorie amount. There should be a macro option as well. I am recalling this from the top of my head but I believe that is how you do it. I have followed a low carb/keto diet and am down 95 pounds so far. Good luck on your journey!

Macros are a personal preference for the most part. I lost 65 pounds following the 50/30/20 default.
  • TupeloHoney64
    TupeloHoney64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hello Always4my2kids. I am starting the Ketogenic meal plan... could you explain the 50/30/20.. is that 50 protien, 30 fat and 20 carb? Thank you!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Just focus on your calorie intake for now.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    hello Always4my2kids. I am starting the Ketogenic meal plan... could you explain the 50/30/20.. is that 50 protien, 30 fat and 20 carb? Thank you!

@TupeloHoney64

The 50/30/20 referred to above are not a Keto split it's the MFP default which is just a moderate carb diet 50% carbs/ 30% Fat/ 20% Protein

Keto would be more like 60% Fat/ 30% Protein/ 10% carbs