Cut Advice

Options
I’m pretty much a complete beginner and started a cut in mid December. Since then my body fat has dropped from 19.3% to 14.4% and my weight from 87.6kg to 84.5kg, muscle mass from 66.8kg to 68.7kg.

I’m currently training in a 4 day on, one day off pattern and focusing on my upper body (D1: cardio & core, D2: back and bis, D3 Chest and tris, D4 shoulders and core)

I’ve been eating 2000kcal a day, with advice from my dietician to move up to 2650 when I want to bulk up.

My aim is to cut down to 10% body fat before adding muscles. Should I be carb cycling or fasting? I’m just doing the same each day diet wise at the minute.

Any tips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring that you gained muscle while cutting?
  • jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The gym I use, use the machine ( that I’m
    Really embarrassed I can’t remember the name of now) where you hold the rods and it’s measures various things. I’d never ever lifted weights or done any strength training whatsoever so I think the gains are just from that, I was literally skin, bones and a bit of fat before!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    The gym I use, use the machine ( that I’m
    Really embarrassed I can’t remember the name of now) where you hold the rods and it’s measures various things. I’d never ever lifted weights or done any strength training whatsoever so I think the gains are just from that, I was literally skin, bones and a bit of fat before!

Those machines are highly inaccurate. The stomach fat link in your other thread has some solid advice.

Carb cycling and fasting are methods people use to restrict calories or have high carb/high calorie days, they're absolutely unnecessary.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you don't train legs?

Re the cutting, my tip is to do whatever is currently achieving results and be patient.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason you don't train legs?

Re the cutting, my tip is to do whatever is currently achieving results and be patient.

What kind of a question is that? Didn't you get the memo that chicks dig guys with chicken legs?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Leg day is the money maker when it comes to leaning out.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    I’m pretty much a complete beginner and started a cut in mid December. Since then my body fat has dropped from 19.3% to 14.4% and my weight from 87.6kg to 84.5kg, muscle mass from 66.8kg to 68.7kg.

I’m currently training in a 4 day on, one day off pattern and focusing on my upper body (D1: cardio & core, D2: back and bis, D3 Chest and tris, D4 shoulders and core)

I’ve been eating 2000kcal a day, with advice from my dietician to move up to 2650 when I want to bulk up.

My aim is to cut down to 10% body fat before adding muscles. Should I be carb cycling or fasting? I’m just doing the same each day diet wise at the minute.

Any tips?

Don't neglect legs, I know you probably don't notice them when flexing like your chest, arms, shoulders, etc. but belive it or not working out your legs helps a lot with developing a fit body and correct me all if I'm wrong but running doesn't really count as working on your legs, you should have at least one leg day in your routine, it will help build a proportionate body which is what most people want.
  • se015
    Options
    Sorry to get off OP's but since we're talking about cutting. If I am currently 178 lbs at 14-15% bf and my goal is to be 180-185 lbs at <10%, what weight should I bulk up to before heading back down the cutting phase?

Also I was thinking of maintaining before I cut, good idea?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Sorry to get off OP's but since we're talking about cutting. If I am currently 178 lbs at 14-15% bf and my goal is to be 180-185 lbs at <10%, what weight should I bulk up to before heading back down the cutting phase?

You can create your own thread. Generally bulking and cutting is based off body fat percentage rather than body weight.
  • se015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »

You can create your own thread. Generally bulking and cutting is based off body fat percentage rather than body weight.

I know I realized that afterwards I apologize and I understand that too, so what bf% is considered time to cut or maintain?
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female?? If you're a woman then you're well lean enough at 14% to bulk
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    bzjdk3hctt56.jpg
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Legs are half of your body; you are metabolically screwing yourself in adding to your BMR (free kcals each day from doing nothing but living). Total body or even half body (ex. upper or lower body days) are going to burn the most kcals along with supersets (little to no rest).

Carb cycling/fasting: Shouldn't really matter too much in the long run if you are adjusting kcals appropriately. Typical cutting strategy is to increase protein ratio (decrease carbs or fat depending on where you are @ already) if not done so already. Kcal cycling might be good to incorporate if you are getting lethargic. The magic ingredients = Time & Consistency

Bio electric Impedence sucks as far as accuracy (<---I'm supposidly 16.6%?). Use other metrics like waist/hip/shoulder/neck circumferences/ratios & then the ever so subjectively helpful mirror/progress pics done under same conditions (lighting/time of day/fluid status/etc.).