How exactly do you get good abs?

Options
I’ve been reading a plethora of articles and they all seem to say different things, so I thought I’d ask the people that have been there and done it, and know best! How exactly do you get a ‘6 pack’ what worked for you? Diet and training wise.

Thanks

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the layer of fat hiding your abs!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    By eating in a deficit and losing the layer of fat that was covering them.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Great minds... lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Great minds... lol

Jinx
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Great abs are dependent on low bodyfat percentage, as well as muscle base and genetics. You can get down super lean, but if you don't have adequate ab musculature they will look flat or almost non-existent.
  • jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Would 1900kvsl be a suitable deficit? I train 4 times a week and am 27, 6 foot 1, 84kg
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    Would 1900kvsl be a suitable deficit? I train 4 times a week and am 27, 6 foot 1, 84kg

Well, what's your TDEE?
  • jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Then 1900 is way steep and you'll be losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. 2300 cals would be the lowest I'd eat with your stats.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Diet, Diet, Diet, cardio, resistance training. The most important factor is diet for a 6 pack.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Then 1900 is way steep and you'll be losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. 2300 cals would be the lowest I'd eat with your stats.

How do you come up with 2300 for him? Just curious, trying to learn more about how to cut, bc last time I tried cutting I lost more muscle mass than I wanted to
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Bulk and cut a few times, eventually on your cut, you will start seeing abs. During your bulking cycle, that's when you develop most of the muscles...on a cut, you basically reveal the work you did on your abs when you were bulking.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

How do you come up with 2300 for him? Just curious, trying to learn more about how to cut, bc last time I tried cutting I lost more muscle mass than I wanted to

I actually meant 2400, I can't math unless it's with plates LOL

I wouldn't recommend more than a 500 cal deficit (1 lb per week) with how much the OP has to lose, though I personally have never cut at more than TDEE-250 because I like to 1. Keep as much muscle as possible and 2. Eat as much as possible while losing weight.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

I actually meant 2400, I can't math unless it's with plates LOL

I wouldn't recommend more than a 500 cal deficit (1 lb per week) with how much the OP has to lose, though I personally have never cut at more than TDEE-250 because I like to 1. Keep as much muscle as possible and 2. Eat as much as possible while losing weight.

Yea I'm with you there, like I said I did the 500 kcal deficit and while I looked very lean and cut I wasn't happy with my overall size and felt sorta back the old skinny me, but I think that's always going to be an issue as I was skinny up until I started lifting at 25ish.
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 56 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Strength train them so they grow, then strip the fat off them.