Alternative to Olive/Canola oil?

Options
13»

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    From Dr. Joseph Mercola :
    'There is only one oil that is stable enough to withstand the heat of cooking, and that's coconut oil. So, do yourself a favor and ditch all those "healthy oil wannabes," and replace them with a large jar of fresh, organic, heart-supporting coconut oil.'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

Alternatively, when i do the usual onion and garlic little 'fry' to flavor something, i now 'fry' them in a little bit of really hot broth. That releases the flavor and contains a lot less fat.

Industry propaganda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

Coconut oil is just the latest fad and is an industry selling item with leaders like Dr Oz...
    its fine to use but it is not some Godly oil to be associated with greatness dif cuisines commonly use dif oils and Coconut oil is not some miracle stable oil.
  • redhead5838
    redhead5838 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Canola oil has healthy omega 9 and is low in saturated fat.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Here is a reasonably handy chart which gives a good visualization of just how complicated the matrix of available oils vs. health has become.

The Oil Comparison Chart
    http://www.eatingrules.com/Cooking-Oil-Comparison-Chart_02-22-12.pdf

I think this is where "KISS Principle" applies. If one is eating lots of healthy non-processed foods (fruits veggies, legumes), there is little need to add refined oils to ones diet at all.

After reading Fuhrman's book, Eat to Live, I've also cut out the oils, including olive oil. Don't see the need for them anymore. Water with spices is working great for cooking veggies and mushrooms for me, and that's the only thing I was using butter/oil for anyways :)
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use both coconut and EEVO. To each their own.

Both healthy fats so I'm not losing any sleep over the choices, or the calories.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil or grass fed butter for frying, Olive oil is for salads. These are all good fats and I use them daily.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I rarely use oil when I cook vegetables - I love them steamed either on the stove top or int he microwave. But sometimes I'll use a butter-flavored canola oil spray or an olive oil spray, mostly just to help the seasonings stick to the vegetables.
  • Roma_Tee
    Roma_Tee Posts: 38
    Options
    I switched to spray oils because I like to save on the calories. They work just fine but it took me a little time to get use to.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Use an oil that tastes good to you and is good for what you're making. Olive oil is great...but has a low smoke point, so not so good for frying/sauteeing. Peanut oil or coconut oil are better for that since they have a higher smoke point. Calorie wise, an oil is an oil....all roughly the same.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I always have trouble meeting my fat macros, so I love adding olive oil to things.
  • julzbennett
    julzbennett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is pretty good for you and amazingly your body NEEDS fat (well - the RIGHT fats) to burn the bad fat that many people are trying to shift. The key is moderation, and I find the best item I own is a 1tsp measuring spoon...I measure my oil out into the pan when making sauces e.t.c. so I can limit how much I use while still getting the goodness and natural fats that my body needs.

Obviously, too much is a calorie issue, but 2tsp in a tomato sauce is not going to slow you down much,especially if you made a batch and freeze some.

I prefer grilling to frying for most meats to limit the use of oil, but when I use it, I go natural!