Tips for different ways to work core

Options
Hello all!

I am new to this, new to dieting "properly". Have always been an 'average-to plump' body that with fad diets has been up and down for years. At my smallest I was 67kg.. which despite my height was a nice size for me.. I am very "shapely" and any smaller I would look ill.

Anyway! Come to now.. I am 83kg, 5'4".. and i have started MFP a week ago.. 200g down this week. I also bought myself a set of dumbbells (1-3kg), I work with these every morning doing biceps and tris.
I bought myself a yoga mat and do different exersizes that work my legs...
I walk my golden retrievers for around half an hour each afternoon.

My problem is this.. I broke my tail bone 1.5 years ago and anyone who has done this knows.. it never heals properly. I cannot put ANY weight on my tail bone without horrible pain.. so the act of sit ups is horrid... sitting on an ab worker is horrible. It is the "roll" onto the tailbone while doing these exercises that I simply cannot do.

So please, do you have any suggestions?

After 6 kids over a span of 8 years my stomach definitely needs toning as the weight comes off.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Most of my core work is compound lifting movements with weights...squats, dead lift, bench press, overhead press, and Olympic lifts.

I do fairly minimal direct ab work...usually I'll do the ab roller or hanging leg raises or something at the end of my workout.

Note that direct ab work will not spot reduce belly fat.
  • dan4nas
    dan4nas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I understand this. My point is I just don't want it being the only area of my body that I am not working on. I am also limited in my exercises as I have kids still at home, so gyms are a no go.. so needing some "home" suggestions to work the core without rolling on my tailbone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Compound movements will help with core especially if you're using challenging poundages.

For me, a lot of my clients don't need to do a lot of direct core work because KICKBOXING has helped to improve their core.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    dan4nas wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I understand this. My point is I just don't want it being the only area of my body that I am not working on. I am also limited in my exercises as I have kids still at home, so gyms are a no go.. so needing some "home" suggestions to work the core without rolling on my tailbone.

A lot of people don't which is why I through it out there.

ab roller, planks, leg raises...

And really, situps are about one of the worst ab exercises out there...they barely hit them. I don't recommend anyone do sit-ups unless they have to for the military or something...it's a horrible exercise.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    what about planks, reverse crunches, leg lifts, side bridges......google some core workout routines and see if there are any exercises you can do without pain, there's more than just sit ups. Apart from that, as above, most exercises also work the core
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Based very unscientifically on how my abs feel the next day, I would say the best ab exercise is hanging knee raises followed by plank and plank variations. Very few sit-up type exercises seem to target the area as well, although you could probably do leg lifts? I don't think they would put any pressure on your tailbone because you are just lying on your back, not rolling over the tailbone.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Get a set of rings and do pull-ups, chin-ups, leg raises, v-sits and pushups on the rings. The rings will force your core to stay engaged to keep you from sagging or swinging while performing the workouts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Google standing ab workouts
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,124 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Planks will work your core better than any sit ups. BTW, try variations of planks, not just the static ones. There are a lot of dynamic / movement planks to try that are really good for your core.

Also, if you can get out on some water to try it...Stand Up Paddleboarding is a great core workout if you paddle with your body and not your arms/shoulders...but I see you are looking for home options.

(I totally empathize with the tailbone challenges as I busted mine in high school and struggled through situps while I was in the military after college. I still have issues with doing them 30+ years later as no matter how much padding I have I still am in pain to do them.)
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm going to echo those calling for compound lifts with weight. By far, and by that I mean light years, compound weight lifts over the past 7-8 months have done more for my core strength than any number of ab or core workouts ever have.

If you squat and dead lift in particular, with heavy enough weight that requires you to brace your core with proper form, you'll do more than any sit-ups or crunches or planks (although planks are pretty good too).

[Edit to add] Sorry, should have read the whole thread. There may be some good whole body exercises that can really help as well. You can still do compound movements that get the core involved.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Great suggestions above. Two things not mentioned that I like are the Stairmaster actually does work your core very nicely. Also, Kettlebell swings are good too. I have a bad right knee and can't deadlift/squat a ton because of the instability of the joint. Heavy Kettlebell swings are pretty incredible for not only your core but your hips and legs too. Also, another thing I do is a half Turkish Getup. If you look up Turkish Getups, they are complicated, but doing only a half of one is a fantastic way to work the core and doesn't put pressure on your tailbone because (you have to do one to understand) you're working your obliques a lot more and your elbow on the mat is taking the pressure off your tailbone/back.

Full Turkish Getups are an advanced move, halfs are easy. You just want to protect your shoulder and start light.

Another idea is heavy medicine ball slams from overhead. A SkiErg by Concept2 would be awesome too if you want an investment that will really get you into shape (and it has tremendous resale value).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with my tailbone too. I do heavy compound lifting, which engages the core. I also do a lot of standing abs exercises. There are many videos: Hip Hop Abs, Rockin'Body Abs, Turbo Jam Ab Jam all have a lot of standing ab work. I can also do Jillian's 6 week 6 pack abs level 1 without bothering my tailbone. You can find stuff on YouTube as well.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You have to consciously and intentionally engage your stabilizing muscles in order to work them. If you don't, it won't matter what exercise(s) you choose. Doing standing bicep curls correctly will work your core more than "core work" done incorrectly.

It may sound silly, but it's not as automatic as you may think.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Follow any good, full-body strength program. Self-designed workouts usually end up flawed. For example, working your arms daily with light weights is something few trainers would recommend.
    If you search the forum for "home strength program" you should find lots of options. :+1:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You could try one of these if you really wanted to do sit-ups/crunches, designed to fix the tailbone problem. fdm487jdkbx9.png

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-wise-crack-abmat?gclid=CjwKCAiA8P_TBRA9EiwAJrpHM2Ud9MBJyL6vTFK7BHBy7qQo9PZhebmmMdZUJD5MjfYdUikMXVnehhoCBgAQAvD_BwE

Agree with other posters, full body compound movements, including loaded carries will do wonders for core strength. Also consider ab rollouts variations:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/anterior-core-training
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You can also do a lot of nice moves with Valsildes, lots of videos out there

sw4nun8gz2iv.png

If you don't want to spend $30 for the Valslides you can get a set of furniture slides at Home Depot, Wal-Mart for $10 or less that will do the same thing but don't say Valslides on them.

4abtx180m3sf.png