Logging the weight of both dumbbells?

Options
If I did bicep curls with 10 lb dumbbells in both arms simultaneously should this be logged as 20 lbs lifted for that set?
And if I alternated between each arm, rather than lift both dumbbells at the same time, should it be logged as 10 lbs?

Replies

• bark2j5
    bark2j5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would log them as 10lbs when doing arm work because each arm is raising 10lbs, not 20. If I'm doing squats or calf raises or things like that, I would log them as 20lbs because your legs are raising an extra 20lbs total.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you understand it and keep your tracking method consistent it really doesn't matter.

I have ways of tracking my dumbbells vs barbell weight .. for dumbbells on both sides I would write 10x2, if it was single I write 10 or 10db, for kettlebell I write 10kb.. for barbell with plates I write 10-10, EZ bar 10~10 etc.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I personally log the weight of the dumbbell, not both dumbells combined just because it's easier for me to remember which dumbells I used. For example, when I do 75 lb dumbells for bench press, I don't do 140 lbs, put 75 lbs in my app.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Whatever way is easier for you to understand. When I do clientele, I use the total weight when it's a dumbbell exercise unless I specify it. And if it's an exercise with the olympic bar, I only use the weight they add on. Can get confusing when you say 135lbs and really all they're adding are two 45lbs plates on the ends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I log the weight/size of the DB. So if I use two 10 lb DB, I log 10 lb regardless of the type of exercise. Sometimes I note whether it's bilateral or single sided. Sometimes I note whether it's DB, KB, Or BB for future reference because I might switch things up. But 50 lb in DB does not automatically translate to 50 lb BB even for the same exercise. On squats, I often note the type of because goblet is harder than a center hanging DB or bilateral DB. When using plate machines at gym, I record only the added plates, not the weight provided by the machine itself so I don't have to do the math to figure out what to add.

Record whatever info is most useful to you. It can take some trial and error and your needs might change over time. Also make sure you can tell whether a number is reps or weight especially in lower weight ranges. . For example is 10x12 10 lbs at 12 reps or 10 reps at 12 lbs? I usually put 10# for lbs if I think I might be confused, so 10#x12 means 10 lbs for 12 reps. If your lifting 100 lbs then it's obvious what's lbs vs reps I know there's an official way to write it, but that's not what all of us always do!