Strength training while losing weight

So this question might sound a bit weird, but the reason I am going to ask, and hope that people that have experienced this can share their input is because I'll read on fitness resources about this one way and then somewhere else, I'll read the opposite. So I'm trying to educate myself, but getting conflicting things on this.

Little background first:

I started my weight loss journey at 237lb, as a 33 year old male, 5'11". I've used MFP food logging (I scan barcodes and weigh everything) and it's been working wonders. In addition to that, I also did cardio at the start of my journey. Once I reached 222, I decided that I wanted to throw strength training into the mix.

It's been a month and a half since I've started strength training, followed by either biking or running right after, and of course still counting calories and macros. Now I know that I am improving, because I can see the difference, so I have no doubt that the fat is coming off. However, for the past month and a half, the scale keeps going from 220 to 218, to 219, to 218, to 220, to 218... you guys get the idea. I understand that muscle weights more than fat, and that's why I am seeing the numbers do what they are doing.

So my question is this:
If I keep strength training while losing weight, will I just keep building muscle and hover over this weight, even though the fat is falling off? Or, will I eventually also start seeing the numbers on the scale go down? I've read on fitness resource sites answers that say if you keep strength training, you won't see much loss on the scale, because the muscle replaces the fat, and vice versa.

I want to keep building muscle, but I also don't want to be 220lb worth of muscle. My goal is to be around 175-180. So do I need to cut down on the strength training to get closer to that weight goal first?

Replies

• Jasp03
    Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
    ellisangel wrote: »
    Hi, I am doing something a little bit similar. I am a 141.3 pound female and I consulted with a nutritionist who gave me a plan and its been helping me a lot, maybe it could help you. I was advised to have a very high protein low carb diet. I was also advised to do weight training 5 days a week and cardio everyday. Starting with my weight training and ending with a challenging round of cardio. I'm not sure about you but I had a body scan done on me and I had roughly 75 pounds of lean muscle on me before I started my weight loss journey. My goal was to lose the weight while keeping the muscle on me and improving the muscle I have. I eat 145 grams of protein a day to feed my growing muscles, I start with the weight training to burn the sugar stored in my muscles. Then when I do my cardio I try to keep my heart rate at 160 or less bpm so I can burn the fat and sugar stored in my body instead of the sugar stored in my muscles. When I started in January I was 158.2 pounds. Your results may be better because it sounds like your sticking to your diet a little better than me. I'm italian and 105 grams a day goes by really fast! I hope this helps

That is actually what I've been doing as well, high protein, low carb. I understand how quickly the carbs can add up as an Italian - I am as well. I also follow the same workout routine that you described, and it's working fantastic. I know that I am physically improving, I just don't want to have too much muscle is I guess what my concern is. I don't want to stay at 220, lose fat but gain it all in muscle. Though, what you're describing sounds like that won't happen, as my daily routine is basically what you just described.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Keep your weight training going. Six weeks into lifting, you're about 4 pounds down in scale weight, which is great. Keep measuring so you can track progress. You won't turn into "all muscle" :) It just doesn't happen like that! Without taking substances, two pounds of muscle gain a month is about the max for men the first year into a heavy lifting program, assuming that they are NOT training with a calorie deficit.
  • Jasp03 wrote: »
    So this question might sound a bit weird, but the reason I am going to ask, and hope that people that have experienced this can share their input is because I'll read on fitness resources about this one way and then somewhere else, I'll read the opposite. So I'm trying to educate myself, but getting conflicting things on this.

Little background first:

I started my weight loss journey at 237lb, as a 33 year old male, 5'11". I've used MFP food logging (I scan barcodes and weigh everything) and it's been working wonders. In addition to that, I also did cardio at the start of my journey. Once I reached 222, I decided that I wanted to throw strength training into the mix.

It's been a month and a half since I've started strength training, followed by either biking or running right after, and of course still counting calories and macros. Now I know that I am improving, because I can see the difference, so I have no doubt that the fat is coming off. However, for the past month and a half, the scale keeps going from 220 to 218, to 219, to 218, to 220, to 218... you guys get the idea. I understand that muscle weights more than fat, and that's why I am seeing the numbers do what they are doing.

So my question is this:
    If I keep strength training while losing weight, will I just keep building muscle and hover over this weight, even though the fat is falling off? Or, will I eventually also start seeing the numbers on the scale go down? I've read on fitness resource sites answers that say if you keep strength training, you won't see much loss on the scale, because the muscle replaces the fat, and vice versa.

I want to keep building muscle, but I also don't want to be 220lb worth of muscle. My goal is to be around 175-180. So do I need to cut down on the strength training to get closer to that weight goal first?

I've been strength training and still am losing. Your calorie intake might be off.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I think what you should do is start taking accurate measurements of your waist, hips, and maybe chest and thighs. This will quantify what you are seeing with real numbers. You can then adjust your nutrition from there.

It is possible if you have never trained before that you could build some muscle while in a deficit although it is hard for your body to be anabolic and catabolic at the same time.

Other than that keep up the hard work!

• sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Jasp03 wrote: »

Little background first:

So my question is this:

I've been strength training and still am losing. Your calorie intake might be off.

Same here. Strength training + cardio and still losing weight - about 1.5 lbs/week.
  • _Arty_
    _Arty_ Posts: 53 Member
    Based on my personal experience and all of the research that I have done, a novice lifter can lose fat and add muscle while being in a deficit (a recomp so to say). Once you become an intermediate lifter (by working out regularly for about 1.5 - 2 years), you have to be in a surplus to gain muscle and a deficit to burn fat (i.e. bulking and cutting). Again, just my opinion/personal experience.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    There is no way for you to become 220 lbs of muscle without specifically trying to achieve that goal for several years, so don't worry about that.

You may be retaining water from new lifting program, but you also may be overestimating calories burns from your exercise. If you are using MFP calorie burn, only add bac, 50-75% of the calories back in your diet because MFP usually overestimates. Also make sure you are weighing foods and tracking accurately.

Don't stop strength training, you aren't going to turn into a bodybuilder without a tremendous amount of effort.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Bottom line, be patient and keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t forget to reduce your calories requirement as your weight goes down. It’s sounds like you might have stumbled upon maintenance.