I need help understanding macros and that confusing stuff!

Options
I’m trying to list about 80 lbs. I have watched tons of YouTube videos about dieting but I get so lost and confused with the whole protein, fat, carbs etc. I really need someone to help break it all down into detail for me and possibly come up with a small spreadsheet or whatever to keep me on track when eating. Please and thank you so much!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking your food intake for? If you've only just started, get used to tracking calories accurately first - check all your entries for accuracy, learn to weigh/measure etc.

Once that is easy, start to look at the macros.
    These are protein, fats and carbs.
    Everything you eat is one or more of these things in different combinations.
    Protein and carbs provide 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 cals per gram. (alcohol counts too - that's 7 cals per gram)

All the database entries show you the macro grams as well as calories. When you add foods to your diary, the grams of protein, fats and carbs are tallied up along the bottom.

Eating sufficient protein and fat is necessary for good health. How you fill the rest of your calories is personal preference - some people like higher fat, some people like higher carb. Some people notice better satiety when they include a certain amount of protein with each meal. These are thing a you can play with once you get used to tracking and get a better understanding of what foods provide certain macros.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, the only track you need to stay on is coming in under your daily calorie goal. Log your foods in MFP and it will keep track of your macros. If you notice after a while that you are consistently low on one, you can focus more on certain foods if you want to. But worrying about macros is optional. You don't need to hit your macros to lose weight successfully.

To oversimplify: Protein helps you build and retain muscle and is found in foods like meats, beans, nuts, and dairy. Carbs give your body energy and are mainly found in sugary and starchy foods like fruit, grains, and vegetables. Fats are necessary for your body to run properly and are plentiful in oils, butter, fat from meats, nuts, and some vegetables like avocados. If you eat a balanced diet - the sort of common sense diet you were taught in school - your macros will probably turn out okay. You can tweak them later by reading the macro content MFP gives you for the foods you often eat.