Any way to increase bilateral symmetry?

Options
Hi everyone,
I've recently joined with the purpose of toning up my body. I'm a complete fitness beginner, I don't have access to a gym and frankly my main goal is just to develop a habit of running for 30 minutes 3 times a week, which is something I have been doing for almost a month now. Although I have nowhere near accurate measures, estimates put me at around 30% BF - 162cm height (5'3), 61 kg (135 pounds), 72 cm (28') waistline - and out of shape but I'm one of those people who gain muscle rather easily and although the scales aren't moving much I can definitely see changes.

However, in the process I have noticed that the differences between my left and right side of the body (that were barely noticeable at first) seem to become more prominent. My right arm and leg are visibly bigger than their left counterparts, my flexibility is limited on my left side compared to the right and (most worryingly) my right boob seems to shrink at a faster pace than my left. I'm beginning to feel that I have masculine right side and a feminine left side...

Does anyone have some suggestions on what I could do to increase my bilateral symmetry or similar experiences with this?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would look in to a weight lifting program and focus on exercises where you can't let one arm/leg compensate for the other- like lunges, split squats, one-leg deadlifts, bench press/OHP with dumbbells rather than barbells, etc. Same thing with stretching- do one side at a time.

I heavily favor my left leg while running- I've been working to correct it for years and never really have been able to do it without conscious effort...so I can't really give great advice there. :grumble:
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed much difference with size, but the right side of my body is definitely better at everything than my left (more flexibility, better balance, stronger, etc). I've been doing yoga, and I try to push myself a little more on my left side, and whenever I do strength training I try to do an extra rep or two on the left side.

It seems to be helping me, good luck!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I guess this means I'll have to join the crowd that needs to invest in some home equipment for weight lifting (I live in a small town that only has one gym and it costs 100 bucks a month... running outdoors is so much cheaper and pleasant because of the green landscape!).

Thank you ladies!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My boobs finally balance out at my lowest weight, if that's reassuring at all :flowerforyou:
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My boobs finally balance out at my lowest weight, if that's reassuring at all :flowerforyou:

Oh a glimmer of hope... Thank you!