Alcohol problem and dieting

Options
monramx
monramx Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2018 in Getting Started
So I wouldnt say Im an alcoholic but Im definitely not far from that title. Im 21 and have various mental problems, thus the alcohol. I know its not good or healthy butif anyone has any suggestions hpw to balance diet and alcohol Id be so grateful. Or even just words of encouragement. Because Im struggling to stay at my calorie budget when I drink (which is almost every day) and I feel hungry even thoufh I completed the calories for the day.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    monramx wrote: »
    So I wouldnt say Im an alcoholic but Im definitely not far from that title. Im 21 and have various mental problems, thus the alcohol. I know its not good or healthy butif anyone has any suggestions hpw to balance diet and alcohol Id be so grateful.
    I think you know the answer. Less alcohol, more food.
    Or even just words of encouragement. Because Im struggling to stay at my calorie budget when I drink (which is almost every day) and I feel hungry even thoufh I completed the calories for the day.
    Alcohol provides no nutrition you body needs, and the calorie target MFP give you is calcualted to be just enough to lose/maintain weight, so no wonder you're hungry.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think you should seek help. Continue you logging your calories, but maybe even in maintenance while you sort out a few things for yourself.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is very dense in calories. 7 cals a gram! It gets used as a preferred fuel before anything else! So, eating while you drink can be a bad thing. I would agree, get help. I was/ am/ ? a binge drinker when I was younger. The final straw, was when I woke up after a 2 day weekend bender with my hands shaking. The light bulb went off when all I could think was, man a beer could fix this. Best of luck and much love!
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    there's a thread here that may help to talk about it and get support, and you may also want to consider professional counseling.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638088/less-alcohol-february-2018-one-day-at-a-time#latest
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    monramx wrote: »
    So I wouldnt say Im an alcoholic but Im definitely not far from that title. Im 21 and have various mental problems, thus the alcohol. I know its not good or healthy butif anyone has any suggestions hpw to balance diet and alcohol Id be so grateful. Or even just words of encouragement. Because Im struggling to stay at my calorie budget when I drink (which is almost every day) and I feel hungry even thoufh I completed the calories for the day.

If you are drinking every day, that's not good. Depending on how much you are drinking, you will likely be damaging your liver long-term if it continues. I have first hand seen several family members die from cirrhosis of the liver, caused by drinking.

I agree with the others that you should seek help, not just with the drinking, but the other issues you are facing as well.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a drink or two every day but I am careful to measure the alcohol and log it. I buy flavored vodka, like Absolut Mango or Citrus, and mix it with seltzer (zero calories and no sugar substitute kind). I use a calibrated shot glass to measure out the booze, or else I would be far too heavy-handed with the pour. I sometimes make wine spritzers - measure out 5oz of wine and fill the rest of the 12 oz glass with plain seltzer.

• Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tried dieting and alcohol together, but I got stuck in a plateau and I knew that I had to give it up if I wanted to loose weight... I was drinking about 3/4 to 1 bottle of wine a day... so now I have 700 additional calories to eat every day... what a huge difference.
    I havent gone cold turkey, I still drink on weekends, but log everything. So friday night and Saturday I still drink but Sunday I stop again...
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Pre log all of your meals, snacks and drinks at the beginning of the day, making sure you hit your calorie and nutrient goals. Do not exceed your pre allotted beverages....this could be the first step in getting some needed self discipline and control over your life. It may then lead to you developing more healthy habits. I agree with the people that said keto and drinking do not mix.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You need to get off the booze.

And drop the heroin too.

But seriously, you know what you need to do, don't you?
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are self medicating. Find a therapist who can teach you coping skills. That way you will have other ways of dealing with your stress other than turning to alcohol.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It sounds like you are in pain. I would agree with the other posters here. Seek out some assistance for the booze. If you don't feel ready or severe enough for therapy or AA meetings, SMARTRecovery.org has a great online community with tons of free helpful tools. All the best to you
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the mental health issues are the first order of business. Drinking is a way for many people with mental health issues to cope. Are you seeing a doctor? Do you have a course of treatment that you're following? I agree that trying an AA meeting is a great idea for you. You WILL find someone there who can truly identify with what you're gong through and you WILL find someone who wants to help you get better. Life can be better. Give it a try.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    a hug from here. Please seek assistance with your greater issues. Once you are on your way addressing these a dietary restriction will probably be much less onerous. I very much doubt there will be one of us who has not had our share of problems and there is no shame in asking for, help, when you will benefit. I know I do not know you personally, but you matter as much as the next. Please find and take up the help you deserve.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love my wine. And I log it. But I found I drink too often. Even if it's only a small glass or 2 of wine a day it kills my diet goals. It kills it because I almost always overeat following a night of drinking. It comes back to the excess calories I consume every time.
    I try to drink only 1 day a week now and then I drink only 2 glasses of wine.