Not Able To Lose Weight After Quitting Smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    pgh365 wrote: »
    Dr Schwartzbein explains how your body needs time to repair itself after stopping the toxic intake from smoking. You can't repair while dieting. Give yourself time to "transition"
    You don't need to lose weight to be healthy, you need to be healthy to lose weight.
    Choose the healthiest foods you can, get some sleep, walk/yoga for stress reduction. Let your body heal.
    When you quit smoking, your body has a lot of cleaning up to do. Feed it, rest it, care for it. Then go after losing weight.

Lol...I quite smoking cigarettes at the end of Sept of 2012 and started dieting two weeks later and lost 40 Lbs...

OP, it's likely that your NEAT has declined a little. If you were losing 1/2 Lb per week, that would indicate a deficit of 250 calories...something that could easily come from getting up for smoke breaks and fidgeting. Smoking also increases your metabolism slightly as it is a stimulant.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When you were smoking you were putting a cigarette in your mouth instead of food. Now that you have quit, I'd be willing to bet you are putting more bites in your mouth than you realize. Nibbling.
    I smoked for 15 years. When I quit, I didn't gain any weight at all. You hang in there. This was a life changing decision you made. Proud of you!!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Metabolic effects of smoking cessation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5021526/
  • jaycam1989
    jaycam1989 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nicotine is a stimulant. Try drinking more black coffee.