Calorie counting and social life...

Options
So I’m supposed to be going to dinner at Arirang Hibachi Restaurant, but I’m about 80% ready to back out because I have no way to record the calorie information. (Nothing online or website)

How do you handle eating out when the calories / nutrition isn’t on the menu?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Find something similar from another restaurant. Use your best guess.

Order things that are easier to eyeball- grilled piece of meat- or pretty low calorie- pile of vegetables. Go light on condiments and sauces. Watch portion sizes on things like rice and noodles or fried, breaded foods.

It is one meal. It will be okay if you aren't absolutely accurate.
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Find something similar from another restaurant. Use your best guess.

Order things that are easier to eyeball- grilled piece of meat- or pretty low calorie- pile of vegetables. Go light on condiments and sauces. Watch portion sizes on things like rice and noodles or fried, breaded foods.

It is one meal. It will be okay if you aren't absolutely accurate.

Thank you so much!! I’m a pretty safe eater anyway... I don’t eat meat, haven’t had white rice in 20 years, lol, don’t trust sauces. I’m most likely going to have lobster, shrimp and vegetables. Oh, and my Sunday dessert that I only have once a week on Sundays, a nice piece of cheesecake!!! That’s the only dessert I have weekly and I look forward to it, lol

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    GoalGal50 wrote: »
    So I’m supposed to be going to dinner at Arirang Hibachi Restaurant, but I’m about 80% ready to back out because I have no way to record the calorie information. (Nothing online or website)

If you ever plan on eating out again in your life, you might as well use this time to develop the skills to do so and keep to your calorie goals. Also, if you fear it, I say face it now and beat it if for no other reason than you don't want fear to rule your life.
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    GoalGal50 wrote: »

If you ever plan on eating out again in your life, you might as well use this time to develop the skills to do so and keep to your calorie goals. Also, if you fear it, I say face it now and beat it if for no other reason than you don't want fear to rule your life.

Lol, I don’t know if it’s Fear as much as discipline. I need to learn my areas of grey. I’m an all the way on or all the way off person. That’s my problem. I’m extreme either way, either I’m in the gym 5days a week or absent the whole year, lol. The gift and the curse extremely routine. What I’m learning now on this weight loss journey with MFP is that they’re shades of grey. If I’m over one day, I can be under the next. I bank almost 4500 calories a week, not intentionally, but I don’t eat when I’m not hungry. So for me, it’s learning to have those grey days and tonight I will enjoy dinner.