Had a one off day consuming 60g of saturated fat - is this too much?

Options
Today I ate a lot of saturated fat around 60g. This consisted of cheese, butter, and ground lamb meat. Normally I consume under 10g a day - not due to health, just the type of food I like to eat mainly Asian cuisine, Chinese, Japanese.

Although saturated fat is demonized allot.... is 60g a bit too much? I also eat 2500 a day and have come in at 2400 so calorie wise I am fine.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Not gonna hurt you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's one day...you can't really do anything to yourself in 1 day...

I mean, yeah...it's a lot...but it's one flippin' day...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only thing that's going to have a negative effect on you after one day are things that are actually toxic. If humans could do actual damage to themselves eating the 'wrong' thing for one day, we'd have never made it out of caves.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Better just close up shop. How many times do you think you ate over 10gs in a day before you used this app? Now that your body knows you know how many grams you’ve had, that’s where the danger is.
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You should be paying attention to your LDL Cholesterol levels if you're concerned about developing atherosclerosis. Will one day of eating a high amount of saturated fats kill you? I wouldn't think so. Over a lifetime? It's debatable. I consume between 30g - 60g of saturated fat and 0-3g (mainly 0) of trans fat a day since I started keto in 2015. My LDL is 137mg/dL (normal).

Harvard considers saturated fats it an "In Between" fat, meaning that it technically isn't good nor is it bad for you. While it can tip the balance towards high LDL levels (which thus causes atherosclerosis) there isn't enough evidence (per a meta-analysis of twenty one studies) to conclude that saturated fat increases the risk of heart disease. There is, however, evidence that replacing your saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats decreases LDL levels. (Harvard, 2017).

So what fat should you really, really avoid? The answer is Trans Fats. They have been linked to increasing amount of LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream and decrease the amount of HDL (the good cholesterol). They have also been known to create inflammation, which can cause a wide variety of chronic complications such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc (Harvard, 2017).

Tldr; if you're really, really concerned talk to your doctor to get a blood test to see where your LDL Cholesterol stands. I honestly don't think one day of high saturated fats is going to kill you, but it never hurts to play things safe!

Reference:
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good

Note: The above content is based off of my own independent research, experience, and knowledge. This is not intended to be used for or considered as real medical advice, and does not represent the company/association/group I am either employed or associated with. Consult your own healthcare provider / nutritionist if you have any medical concerns.